No announcement yet.

No Gym? No Worries!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was considering replacing my gym membership with sandbags, replace doing barbell stuff with them. They would be cheap and easy to store. I can deadlift more than 120lbs though. I have a sewing machine so I could sew handles onto any bag.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
      I've filled my old gym bag with 25kg of sand
      I bought three bags of sand from B&Q. Two of them are in an old rucksack for doing squats. I'm going to have to put some more weight in there as I'm up to forty without stopping now. I bought a proprietary sandbag with smaller sand containers in off eBay and will be using it for strength training.
      Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
        There is so much to learn just lifting, let alone other fitness aspects, it's all rather exciting, but I little overwelming knowing where to start, especially as I want to try everything

Thanks, I'm using the sand-bag to supliment bodyweight training and hopefully to give progressions in reps and movements by training in a different way, ie hopefully I can up my press-up numbers by doing less reps with a heavy bag, and I can build up strenght to do handstand push ups with OH presses, pistols by doing weighted squats. But once I'm used to and got the basic lifts down it I'm gonna start doing different interesting things.
        You could also try laying a sandbag across your back for press ups to add some extra challenge. I get that it can be a little overwhelming - I normally suggest that most people look at their resistance programming from a basic human movement perspective and include elements of the following:

1. Squat
        2. Lunge
        3. Bend
        4. Push
        5. Pull
        6. Rotate

If not in each session then at least across each week/fortnight.
        Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
        Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
        The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
        Brute Force Sandbags
        www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
        http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I was considering replacing my gym membership with sandbags, replace doing barbell stuff with them. They would be cheap and easy to store. I can deadlift more than 120lbs though. I have a sewing machine so I could sew handles onto any bag.
          It can be hard to replace the pure strength work that you'll get with barbells but I've found that my strength has both improved, and transfers back to barbell work well, since training regularly with the sandbag. In particular, my cleans and oh presses have gone through the roof.
          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
          Brute Force Sandbags
          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Working...
          X