getting ripped...with YOGA!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
    Well, technically you did by making claims about weight training while admitting you've never trained with weights.
    I was kidding...!!!

And I should edit that comment... When I first started trying to get fit I used to go to the gym three times a week and lift weights. It was probably 5 years ago. It had really good, quick effects, but they didn't last. I never lift now.

But I'm not qualified beyond my own experience in weight lifting so I'm sure there are more effective ways to train. That are long lasting.

Men are so sensitive!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Everyone chillax.

No one's putting down weightlifting. We can be strong, flexible, rational Groks and Grokettes by incorporating both. Namaste.
      “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

The benefits of yoga can be quite subtle yet far-reaching.

For example it stimulates the internal organs.

I find that if I do a few yoga poses before doing a plank at the beginning of a work-out, this increases my time by about 30% on average. Yoga facilitates energy focus, calm and mindfulness.

It's a holistic discipline that the grunts are jumping at the bit to dismiss.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
          The benefits of yoga can be quite subtle yet far-reaching.

For example it stimulates the internal organs.

I find that if I do a few yoga poses before doing a plank at the beginning of a work-out, this increases my time by about 30% on average. Yoga facilitates energy focus, calm and mindfulness.

It's a holistic discipline that the grunts are jumping at the bit to dismiss.
          At this place I used to go to, the instructor had us spend a few minutes rubbing our own feet to stimulate various internal organs. But that's probs not what you meant ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
            Do me a favour. Try a 5x5 barbell program with heavy emphasis on deadlifts, squats and bench presses, and tell me if it works your "deeper muscles" and "tone you from the inside out".

Seriously, that first quote is sig-worthy.
            You sure showed her bro.

Does she even lift???
            Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              You sure showed her bro.

Does she even lift???
              Didn't you hear? Resistance training is so 2012. Apparently, they found a better way to stimulate the deeper muscle and tone the body from inside out. And it's holistic too.

Anyway, how's the sugar crusade going in the nutrition forum?
              Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

Slow and steady like my gains
                Make America Great Again

Comment

I always look and feel my best when I can get a couple of yoga days in a week. Time is always an issue, but I feel Yoga really is the true fountain of youth.
                  "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
                  Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

Do me a favour. Try a 5x5 barbell program with heavy emphasis on deadlifts, squats and bench presses, and tell me if it works your "deeper muscles" and "tone you from the inside out".

Seriously, that first quote is sig-worthy.
                    Not as ridiculous as it sounds though (I wouldn't have stated it that way but ....). The multifidus are the smallest and deepest muscles in the spine and tend to respond well to spinal endurance type of exercise. These muscles are showing to be very important in terms of back pain/injury prevention and rehab. Just saying. Yoga type exercise definitely has its place.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Not as ridiculous as it sounds though (I wouldn't have stated it that way but ....). The multifidus are the smallest and deepest muscles in the spine and tend to respond well to spinal endurance type of exercise. These muscles are showing to be very important in terms of back pain/injury prevention and rehab.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but the multifidus serves mainly to stabilize the spine. If this is a "deeper" muscle, and weight lifting is all about "external" muscles, then surely the multifidus isn't used when squatting and deadlifting.

Are you sure this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds?
                      Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the multifidus serves mainly to stabilize the spine. If this is a "deeper" muscle, and weight lifting is all about "external" muscles, then surely the multifidus isn't used when squatting and deadlifting.

Are you sure this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds?
                        Oh, I see. Your not taking issue against yoga so much as you see her response as dissing weight lifting. Yeah, thats part of why I said its not how I would state it.

Comment

Yoga and Oly lifting are an amazing synergystic combo.

I think yoga is also good for those looking to reduce stress -- at least it was for me.

On hiatus currently though as I attained all of my mobility goals and am focusing on strength capacity and cardio atm.
                          ad astra per aspera

Comment

Try a 5x5 barbell program with heavy emphasis on deadlifts, squats and bench presses, and tell me if it works your "deeper muscles" and "tone you from the inside out".
                            I might have been more tactful in saying so (or not), but toning is known bunk and strength is a general adaptation. Meaning you tell your CNS "you're gonna have to get stronger" and it responds. The best tool for sending this message to your CNS is called a barbell. Squats and deadlifts make every muscle stronger, deep or shallow, inside and outside, lower body and upper.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              I might have been more tactful in saying so (or not), but toning is known bunk and strength is a general adaptation. Meaning you tell your CNS "you're gonna have to get stronger" and it responds. The best tool for sending this message to your CNS is called a barbell. Squats and deadlifts make every muscle stronger, deep or shallow, inside and outside, lower body and upper.
                              Why I said thats not how I might of stated it (the toning bit). Lifting is great for strength of all kinds. However, muscular endurance plays an important role in stability and prevention. I do think you best add some other activities that challenge your muscular endurance and in rotational and lateral planes of motion to be more well rounded. Yoga, Tai Chi, Jiu Jitsu.....any sport specific training really. If your an athlete your already getting this, but if your a desk jockey and your only exercise is 5x5 weights your missing a component IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                Why I said thats not how I might of stated it (the toning bit). Lifting is great for strength of all kinds. However, muscular endurance plays an important role in stability and prevention. I do think you best add some other activities that challenge your muscular endurance and in rotational and lateral planes of motion to be more well rounded. Yoga, Tai Chi, Jiu Jitsu.....any sport specific training really. If your an athlete your already getting this, but if your a desk jockey and your only exercise is 5x5 weights your missing a component IMO.
                                No argument from me on this point. If I had to give up the barbell or jiu jitsu, I'd give up the barbell without a second thought.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's the best tool we have for getting ripped &/or strong.

Yoga is great for a lot of things, including overall healthy, mobility, possible muscular and cardiovascular endurance, etc. But to claim that it's better than progressively lifting incrementally increasing loads via compound movements a lá the barbell training programs Kharnath references is either disingenuous or uninformed.

I think you and I are on the same side of this argument.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X