No announcement yet.

Ketosis and improved Aerobic Capacity and Muscular Endurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bounce in and out of ketosis often and do my running fasted for up to 3.5 hours, if its going to be over 4 hours I eat some carbs starting around 2 hours in. I run by heartrate and keep it between 65 - 75% of max heartrate with almost no speedy running. I haven't noticed much difference performance wise...I have been in 2 races since going primal, one 10k trail race and a Sprint Triathlon...placed very well in both. Last summer I averaged about 30 - 40 miles a week peak mileage with a long run every 2 or 3 weeks... really like the low heartrate running especially on hilly trails.

I just finished reading the Volek and Phinney performance book...now I want to try out being fully keto-adapted over the next couple months as I start building my running miles back up slowly.

Comment

Check out the book: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. Some very interesting studies are mentioned which add a lot to the information already available from Australia, UK and Lund (Sweden) on low carbing.
      I've been reading & enjoying this book and just embarked on a low carb experiment myself. I do a lot of cycling as well as weightlifting as my main exercise and have been upping my running too recently.

As an aside I've recently been made aware that the Atkins diet has been updated (2010 I believe) to the point where it's now totally different to when it was at it's most popular a few years ago and very much in line with (a low-carb version of) the advice Mark gives on this site. The changes to the Atkins diet were made by the authors mentioned above.

Comment

Interesting thread.

I had drifted off the program for a few months and came back in late November. I was attempting to keep below 75gms of carbs and, on average, actually did so.

What I did find was that during taekwondo workouts my concentration was seriously compromised. Beyond that, I tested for belt rank in mid December and was totally blown 3 rounds into the 6 round sparring portion of the test. Muscle reaction, breathing, even focus was shot.

I had eaten well that morning but skipped eating the yam as I had intended. The idea of the yo-yo effect actually seems to explain what transpired.

Comment

What I did find was that during taekwondo workouts my concentration was seriously compromised.
          A lot of people report irritability and lack of concentration whilst low or very low carb. But then, some don't. It really seems to be an individual thing - in fact that seems to be a particular point in the new Atkins book (although I haven't read it) - trying to find a person's optimal carb intake rather than just saying keep below an arbitrary number.

Comment

A really info-heavy thread !! Thank you all

Originally posted by zilog View Post
            A lot of people report irritability and lack of concentration whilst low or very low carb. But then, some don't. It really seems to be an individual thing - in fact that seems to be a particular point in the new Atkins book (although I haven't read it) - trying to find a person's optimal carb intake rather than just saying keep below an arbitrary number.
            I was going through all the posts here in this thread & a question popped into my head - Isnt it true that being in Ketosis all through is not really something we try to achieve via the Primal lifestyle? And that its just low carb (~80-100 g/day) thats the ultimate goal for gradual effortless weight loss & optimal body performance.

Please correct me if I'm wrong; young Grok here. Thank you all again!

Regards,
            Vishnu

Comment

Working...
            X