Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substituting the Bench Press

Hey guys,

I've recently started the Strong Lifts 5x5 program after some time off from lifting weights.

My problem is this: my pecs naturally stick out from my chest (due to my natural masculature) more than majority of people and they respond (grow) the most compared to my other muscles to weight training.

Plain and simply; they just look f**kin stupid! too big for my current body!

So I'm wondering what I can swap the Bench Press (my chest workout exercise) with until I get the rest of my body aligned with their size?

The bench obviously hits more than just the chest muscles... it also hits shoulders and triceps too.

Any ideas?

Here is the Strong Lifts workout plan if you don't know it:

Workout A:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B:
    Squat 5x5
    Overheard Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Thanks

Oz

just drop it surely?
    If you don't want to work a certain part of your body, just don't

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbeast View Post
      just drop it surely?
      If you don't want to work a certain part of your body, just don't
      GB,

I am just dropping it.

Maybe I didnt communicate clear enough..

my question is: what should I replace the bench press with?

Obviously NOT a exercise that will work my chest! That's obvious. But I'm not sure what I could replace it with! Thats my question

Comment

why do you need to replace it?
        sorry if i'm missing something

Comment

I guess it would depend on what you wanted to target in place of chest, you could always do cleans or pull ups

Comment

I vote for weighted chin-ups
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

how about pushups? isn't that the obvious answer? in all honestly, i'd just bench. the overall strength benefits are just too beneficial to not do it. core, shoulders, triceps, chest, lats, traps, rhomboids all get hit. just do the bench press. unless you plan on cramming countless surplus calories down your throat, you're not going to grow all that much anyway.

Comment

Just use lower weight for a couple of months.

Comment

Close grip bench press, to target the triceps more, perhaps.

Comment

Weighted dips.....you will still hit your pecs, but less so.

Comment

Originally posted by ozbuckley View Post
                      My problem is this: my pecs naturally stick out from my chest (due to my natural masculature) more than majority of people and they respond (grow) the most compared to my other muscles to weight training.

Plain and simply; they just look f**kin stupid! too big for my current body!
                      I've never seen a lean natural lifter with stupid looking pecs. Different shapes and sizes, sure. But never stupid looking. Are you sure they're not just moobs? You don't have to be obese to have moobs, you know.

Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

I wouldn't skip the bench, it's important to develop that movement. I agree with the poster who said to use a narrower grip. This will de-emphasize your pecs and put more stress on your arms. It's also healthier for your shoulders to bench with a narrower grip so it's a win win for you.

The next time I stall on the bench press and have to reset my program at a lower weight, I'm going to move my grip in a little narrower just for the long term benefits to my shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreenwood View Post
                          The next time I stall on the bench press and have to reset my program at a lower weight, I'm going to move my grip in a little narrower just for the long term benefits to my shoulders.
                          Not to mention reducing your risk of a pec tendon rupture.....been there done that.

Comment

I'd keep the bench press in the rotation, just up the reps and lower the weight so you are still getting stronger but not gaining size as quickly.
                            ----------
                            Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonwolf View Post
                              I'd keep the bench press in the rotation, just up the reps and lower the weight so you are still getting stronger but not gaining size as quickly.
                              Lowering the weight and upping the reps is a good way to promote sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which equals increased size. I don't think this is what the OP is looking for.
                              Last edited by dgreenwood; 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X