Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy?

I know getting ripped is an obsession for lots of guys. I can totally understand where it comes from, as I myself am working to get more muscular, but the concept of "getting ripped" sounds like body engineering to fine tune yourself to 8 to 12 percent body fat.

If you get lean naturally from working out and eating correctly, that's cool. It just seems that aiming to get ripped can leave you gaunt and wiry, which I'm guessing is not very good for you.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Raza
    My favorite articles:

I think that some people on here are trying to lose weight/gain muscle for essentially cosmetic or vanity reasons.

Functional strength and fitness is important though. That's what I'm shooting for, along with balanced hormones.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I've never understood six packs. That doesn't seem natural. Why in nature would you have such a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
        I think that some people on here are trying to lose weight/gain muscle for essentially cosmetic or vanity reasons.

Functional strength and fitness is important though. That's what I'm shooting for, along with balanced hormones.
        +1.

I find muscular people with a normal amount or moderate excess of body fat the most attractive and healthy-looking. This speaks health and vitality, while being relaxed. Lean muscle mass and functional strength and fitness override everything else as far as I am concerned.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

In defense of the lean, I've had a single digit body fat percentage for a couple years now and I think it's great. I eat plenty of healthy foods and I workout five days a week. I feel great and my lifestyle works for me. I'm not saying that you everyone needs to be super lean but what's unhealthy about it?
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
            In defense of the lean, I've had a single digit body fat percentage for a couple years now and I think it's great. I eat plenty of healthy foods and I workout five days a week. I feel great and my lifestyle works for me. I'm not saying that you everyone needs to be super lean but what's unhealthy about it?
            If your lean mass is higher than average then I would not question that you are healthy. I believe lean mass to be a key indicator of health.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by rimam1 View Post
              I know getting ripped is an obsession for lots of guys. I can totally understand where it comes from, as I myself am working to get more muscular, but the concept of "getting ripped" sounds like body engineering to fine tune yourself to 8 to 12 percent body fat.

If you get lean naturally from working out and eating correctly, that's cool. It just seems that aiming to get ripped can leave you gaunt and wiry, which I'm guessing is not very good for you.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Raza
              Being between 8 - 12 % bodyfat for a male or 16 - 14 % for a woman is very healthy IMO. A male would be "ripped" I guess around 5 - 6 % and below, and thats not always healthy, but it may to a certain degree also depend on the person. Right now after finishing 4 weeks of dieting down, I dwell around 8/9 % and I am planning to stay that way...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Um, no, a lot of women stop menstruating at 15% or lower. Most women find body fat below 18-20% is unsustainable (there are outliers of course, like with everything). 15% is competition levels of fat for female fitness models. Many athletic women sit at about 20%.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I agree with owly, 16-14% for a female is emaciated, weak and very unhealthy. Of course, some weak males like it that way.

Comment

Ummm I am not sure Owly said week an enunciated, but rather unsustainable and only really achieved at competition levels.

Athletic is 20% and even that is pretty lean.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

I've met some very strong women who've done competitions at very low body fat, but competitors only stay at that level for a short time period. I don't think a very lean woman is weak, necessarily, just that it's quite difficult for most women to maintain ultra-low body fat for an extended time period.

There's a big difference between a super-skinny runway model with 15% bodyfat and a fitness model at the same percentage.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'm not sure whether it is or not but I'd be happy to try it.
                        I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          Um, no, a lot of women stop menstruating at 15% or lower. Most women find body fat below 18-20% is unsustainable (there are outliers of course, like with everything). 15% is competition levels of fat for female fitness models. Many athletic women sit at about 20%.
                          I still not think it is unhealthy for a woman to be between 14 - 16 % bodyfat, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I prefer them that lean for esthetically reasons! But whether a woman is healthy or not at 14 – 16 % of bodyfat cannot be determined on looking to bodyfat level alone. And it is also true that some woman may lose menstruation at that level, or even higher, especially when dieting down to fast, but still no reason to claim a priori that a very lean female body is unhealthy or "weak."

Here some bodyfat levels for female athletes:

Body Fat Percentage | Low, Healthy and High Levels of Body Fat
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

A Victoria's Secret model is about 20% body fat. IMO anything less is cruel. (I don't think the poster meant to be cruel, he just isn't familiar with the %.)

While I make a big noise about Mark's SIX PACK, honestly, as a women, I don't need to see individual abs to be turned on by a man. If anything, I find a smoother appearance most attractive. (btw, giant pecs and side muscles are a turnoff too.) Also, if the guy is musclebound and too six-packy, it says that he's more interested in quality time with the bench press than with a woman.

The main reason I mention Mark's SIX PACK is to show the effectiveness of the Primal comapared to SAD.
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women

Of these pictures, 15-25% on the men looks fine to me. I think my man is probably between 25 and 30%. What I'm saying is that you don't have to be ripped to get a woman.

I'm not sure the pictures of women on that page are accurate. I'm supposedly (according to body measurement calculations) around 26% but I think I look closest to their 35% picture, although not quite as good as that since I don't have that hourglass shape. Not that it matters that much.

There are fitness model types who have really low body fat but if you ask me they are all messed up inside, in their adrenals and whatnot and also in their minds. Then there are the strong women who might be higher than 20% but they can fling around hundreds of pounds over their heads no problemo. That's what I would rather be.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X