belly flab?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• belly flab?

I carry weight around my belly. I always look a few months pregnant, lol. Some days it's because of bloat, but there's always a spare tire there. I suppose some of it is loose skin from pregnancy.. .but I've had flab there my whole life, even when I was thin. Is it possible to get rid of it, or just something to live with? I'm of normal weight for my height.

could the problem be the definition of 'normal' weight?
    It'll all be down to weight loss

Comment

I carry weight around my belly too. After almost a year of primal eating it wasn't shifting, but I've cut my carbs down and started heavy lifting and it seems to be working for me. I expect it will all take time though - it's been there a long time so not expecting it to disappear overnight!

Comment

I am 5'4", 110-115lbs, rather small-boned. Even when i weighed 10lbs less, i had this flab. Was skinny-fat though..

Comment

I don't think loose skin is a real phenomenon. Here's an interesting article I first read many years ago. The Myth of Loose Skin. Is the author a crank? Maybe. But he makes some good points, i.e. there is always some body fat that is the nucleus of the "loose skin".

Martin @ Leangains has some good tips for losing stubborn fat. Intermittent Fasting and Stubborn Body Fat | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health. It's quite a long article but basically he suggest fasting to get the body into optimal fat burning mode, then plenty of activity (walking, light cardio, etc). I have also heard it suggested that sprints & heavy lifting are great for kickstarting the process of breaking down stored fat.

But there's also the question of: do you really need to get rid of it? Maybe it's natural for you, in which case why fight it?

Comment

I'm big boned. When I was 16 years old I managed to starve myself down to 108lbs. I rode my bike 5 miles to the beach every day to lay out and stay dehydrated and ate about 500 calories a day. I still had three prominent rolls of fat on my stomach that I could grab in my hands, not pinch with my fingers. Meanwhile, my sister and her friend had flat stomachs you could bounce quarters off of. I think for some of us it is just something to live with.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

My wife has a short spine, so even though she's skinny she has these little bumps of extra skin along her sides. Sort of like how some dogs (the wrinkly breeds) have too much skin. Genetics.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                5'4" and 110-115lbs
                if belly isn't falling over belt,,,,,
                not sure i'ld be worried,
                but then I'm a guy

Comment

I started primal about 4 months ago. Fat is coming off my belly primarily....

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                    But there's also the question of: do you really need to get rid of it? Maybe it's natural for you, in which case why fight it?
                    I guess I don't really need to get rid of it. In my younger and vainer years, it bothered me because some clothes don't flatter me. It's not such a big deal now, but sometimes I just wonder why this flab is so stubborn.

Comment

Lol, sbhikes, when I was in my late teens, I was underweight at about 100 lbs, and I still had rolls of belly fat as well! My family made fun of me all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        My wife has a short spine, so even though she's skinny she has these little bumps of extra skin along her sides. Sort of like how some dogs (the wrinkly breeds) have too much skin. Genetics.
                        I wonder if having a short torso makes one have more belly flab? My torso is short compared to lots of people I know (people a couple inches shorter than me are taller than me when we sit down). In pregnancy I also showed very early compared to other women. I noticed many of my friends with longer torsos all have flat bellies (the thin ones).

Comment

Originally posted by carolorrell View Post
                          I started primal about 4 months ago. Fat is coming off my belly primarily....
                          Lucky! I haven't lost weight since starting primal way of eating. Feel like I've gotten more toned and less bloated overall though. For me, any weight loss happens on arms and legs first, face and belly last.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc11 View Post
                            if belly isn't falling over belt,,,,,
                            not sure i'ld be worried,
                            but then I'm a guy
                            Not as bad as belly falling over belt... but I can pass for a few months pregnant when I'm not, lol. My sisters are always asking me why my pregnant belly hasn't disappeared yet, my baby is 1.5 years old. Although I actually weigh less now than before I got pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                              I don't think loose skin is a real phenomenon. Here's an interesting article I first read many years ago. The Myth of Loose Skin. Is the author a crank? Maybe. But he makes some good points, i.e. there is always some body fat that is the nucleus of the "loose skin".
                              No way, I lost a lot of weight and I definitely have loose skin. If I gain a few pounds, it fills out a bit so it may be harder to tell, but I have hardly any fat on my stomach as you can probably see from my avatar. Yet as soon as I bend down or get into a plank position, I get this weird wrinkly bag of skin hanging down around my bellybutton. It looks and feels very different from areas where I have some loose skin AND fat (e.g. my inner thighs).

Anyway, OP, it might just be where you carry your fat stores and it will never go away except for maybe very transiently if you are extremely strict with your diet and exercise, like a bodybuilder pre-competition or something. I carry my weight in my thighs and I've gotten to a point where I looked gaunt elsewhere and my weight refused to budge any further and I still had fat in my thighs. You have to try a few things, but at some point you just have to make peace with it - you're not a fitness model and you don't need a 6-pack to make a living, so don't stress too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X