Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the videos.

In the meantime, are you squatting high-bar or low-bar? In other words, is the bar resting on your traps (high-bar), or across the rear delts/resting on the spines of your scapulae(low-bar)?

If it's truly a strength deficit (coupled with your anthropometry) that's stopping you from deadlifting more, you can always experiment with heavy partials (e.g. rack pulls & RDL's) as well as trying to add some work over an increased ROM (e.g. Deficit deadlifts). I wonder what Mr. Palfrey would say about either of those ideas.
    I usually have it resting closer to delts than traps. How do you think "good mornings" would fare in terms of strengthening my back? Other alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynastinae View Post
      I usually have it resting closer to delts than traps. How do you think "good mornings" would fare in terms of strengthening my back? Other alternatives?
      I tend to think the RDL and/or SLDL would do more to build strength than the good mornings, due to the fact that you can handle heavier loads, but now I'm treading dangerously close to the border of making suggestions that are probably better left to the real experts rather than a dilletante such as myself. And it's all speculation anyway until we see the videos. Text is a poor diagnostic tool when it comes to the iron.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Dynastinae View Post
        What I'm starting to gather is that I just need to work on my back strength.
        I think that may be it. Tell ya, I hadn't done dead lifts in years until starting some this week and my lats, traps, and most extensors have some serious DOMS today. You really don't use much any of these in the squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          I think that may be it. Tell ya, I hadn't done dead lifts in years until starting some this week and my lats, traps, and most extensors have some serious DOMS today. You really don't use much any of these in the squat.
          Try finishing up with some kettlebell swings. Your entire posterier chain will be lit up like a Christmas tree. Good times
          ----------
          Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

A couple things that I noticed immediately: 1) I need a tan (I live in Florida for the love) 2) I carry most of my excess fat in my midsection (even lower back) 3) My back does feel weak

You know that poem by W.B. Yeates that ends with "I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." Yeahhh, this isn't my dream so be brutally honest.

Comment

Well, I'm not an expert. The couple things I see though is your not using your pelvis/hips much. You dont sit back into it to get down to the bar and produce more bend at the knees. Also the bar seems far away from your body throughout the movement. My understanding is you should be practically dragging it up your shins on the way up then end up .....basically humping the bar, as I have heard it said. Someone should be better able to critique since I'm a novice though. Here is a video though Mark Rippetoe: Intro to the Deadlift - YouTube

Comment

As Neckhammer said - much more flexion through the hips and much less through the back. Good mornings will be useful for you to activate your posterior chain and start firing things properly. PM me if you want more help here.
                Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                Brute Force Sandbags
                www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Agree with Neckhammer and Coach. Lower your hips down. Keep the bar closer to your body. Even in your initial set up at the bar, your back looks flexed and rounded forward - I kept waiting for you to straighten it out before pulling, but it didn't happen.
                  Gamer. Powerlifter. Trekkie. Yogi.

Comment

Hope this helps - FMS Unplugged: Ep 2 - Cook - ing the Deadlift - YouTube
                    SixStringStrength.com

Comment

You need to lean back more. Simply put. And don't turn your head. Pull the slack out of the bar before your initial pull. If you jerk the bar on the initial pull, you're asking for a torn bicep. Check out Dave Tate's deadlift instructional videos on YouTube or elite fts. Also, try pulling barefoot or in chucks.

Comment

Can we see the video of your professionally coached 400x5 squat?

Comment

Originally posted by thaedge View Post
                          Can we see the video of your professionally coached 400x5 squat?
                          I just came back to this thread to make the same request. Very much would like to see video of the squat.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Another vote for the squat video.
                            Gamer. Powerlifter. Trekkie. Yogi.

Comment

Not to pile on but I agree that you need a lot of work on your technique. You must feel a lot of strain in your lower back when you deadlift like that because that's what is doing all the work. My back hurt just watching the video.

I heard a good thought key about the deadlift the other day. On the way down, think about trying to close the car door with your butt. This will get your posterior chain more involved and it will also bring the weight in closer to your center of gravity. You should be pretty much pulling the bar up your shins on the way up.

Comment

Squat vid please!!!
                                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X