Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is doing cardio on the elliptical pointless?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellips are largely known as cross-trainers in the UK.

That's because they're favoured by elite runners for cross-training.

The fact that the movement is different to any natural movement is a feature, not a bug. Especially for those who make use of the reverse-mode feature. How many runners do you see running backwards?

Ellips/cross-trainers are also beneficial for those with any kind of joint problem as long as they are wary of knackered old equipment.

There are a couple of top-of-the range machines at a gym I joined recently that have a dynamic range of motion varying from steps (feeling like jogging on the spot) to a gliding forwards (feeling like ice-skating) depending on how you use them. The overall sensation is amazing - they make me feel very buoyant - a cross between swimming and running, with no wear and tear on the joints. I can appreciate the serious amount of bioengineering that was invested in their research and development.

Had Grok been a luddite we wouldn't be here using the Grok metaphor today.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 12-05-2012, 12:50 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I sometimes use them as a warm-up for the warm-up...
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I use them for a cool down.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I still have yet to find one that doesn't make me feel seasick. Give me a quick 500m or even 1000m on the rower for a warmup any day. Or even the treadmill--at least if I speed walk on there I won't feel like I'm going to hurl.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I have never heard of anyone getting seasickness from an elliptical before. I'm more sensitive than average to motion sickness but have never experienced the slightest sensation of that from an elliptical.

Rowing machines do provide a much better an all-body strength/cardio workout ... hence NASA's employment of them.

Comment

I think it comes from the same thing that makes me feel sick playing FPS games. On the elliptical, my legs are telling me I should be moving in a way that doesn't align with the visual input, and the combination makes me feel sick. For some video games, my vision says I should be moving like I'm walking, but my body is sitting still. It's not really motion sickness (I don't really get motion sick on a ship, for example, and I can comfortably read in a moving car) but more a kind of sensory clashing that makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I get that big time from playing FPS games. In that case it's complete lack-of-motion sickness. Body is completely stationary while eyes and ears say the complete opposite.

I cannot read in a car or on a bus due to motion sickness (yet I can on a train or plane as those modes of transport go essentially in a straight line and don't throw my body about). So as long as my body isn't being thrown around at odds to input from eyes and ears my brain doesn't question anything.

Comment

Working...
                X