Apparently I'm Freakishly Strong? Huh.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
    i used to do 1RMs when i was 22-23-24-25, but when i started dealing with repeated bouts of shoulder tendonitis, creaky knees, and bad discs from a car accident, i stopped that. nowadays, i tend to work out anywhere in the 4-8 rep range for strength training. for shoulders and squats, i stay around the 8rep range. for bench, i will go down as low as 4 reps. and for deads i'll get down to 3-4 rep sets.
    Yeah, I hear you. I've been lifting forever, so I vary my workouts to avoid boredom at this point. I go through cycles where I'll go strict add weight protocols, then I'll do reverse pyramids or whatever, then some slow training, then more bodyweight stuff...I dunno, every 6 months to a year my workouts change a pretty good amount.

At this point in my life I'm way less concerned with getting huge muscles, and much more concerned with just having legit strength. I'm not actively working on bulking up, or really even with getting stronger, besides DL and squats currently. Oh, and avoiding injury. I've gotten so much better about not abusing my body nearly as much over the last few years. I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
      I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable.
      that is 100% signature-worthy right there. story of my life.

in fact, i just added it to my sig. thanks...
      Last edited by not on the rug; 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Interestingly, I'm one of the stronger women at my gym, but I feel like my deadlift SUCKS. My max (haven't done it since the summer, tho) is 195 lbs, which is less than 1.5x my bodyweight. There are women at my gym who lift about the same as me on the shoulder/bench press and squat about the same, but their deadlift is almost double mine. I also struggle with high-rep DL workouts - I burn out very quickly even on low weights - other chicks will lift much more weight in way less time. I don't know what the deal is. Yet I checked that WL standards chart and I'm intermediate-advanced or advanced on everything, including the deadlift. HALP?

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
          According to that... for me (at my current weight - too heavy lol) I should be able to deadlift 275 to be elite! And I'm like... 4'11" and female haha. As it is... I currently deadlift about 125 (but that's not 1 rep max... that's whatever we did at CrossFit... I have no idea what my 1 rep max is).

Anyway, it's sometimes funny to see how strong some people can be! They really surprise you!! I aim to one day be surprising . (Well I am to "normal" people... as in... I have surprised many people by how much I can lift... but I think I'm just generally underestimated because I'm so short, which isn't really fair).
          If you open that link you'll see a link at the bottom to a one rep max calculator. You enter a weight and how many reps you can do and it will estimate your one rep max. It's just an estimate but I thought I'd mention it since you said you have no idea what your max is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
            Today was deadlift day. I've never been a huge deadlift fan, but they're necessary and I admit they've grown on me over the years. Anyway, I've decided lately I want to up my deadlift weight a bit. No good reason why, just want to add maybe 50 pounds to it eventually.

I figured I needed to have someone watch my form before I start beefing up the weights, just to make sure I'm not going to kill myself, so I asked one of the trainers I know at the gym if he could watch me pull a couple and tell me if he saw anything bad. I'm pretty sure I have great form, but I've gotten way better about not taking risks with my body the last couple years.

The trainer walked over and watched me lift 275 a couple of times. This isn't a huge weight for me, but it's challenging enough that it would trigger a form break if I was going to have one (for reference, I'm 5'9", maybe 5'10", and somewhere between 150 and 155 right now. Very lean, not bulky, but good muscle).

He said my form looked great, and then said "Holy crap, that's a lot of weight for a guy your size!"

I was like..."Really? Because I feel like I should be able to deadlift substantially more than I can bench."

He said "Wait, you bench 275?"

"Yeah, I can put that up for a couple of sets of 4 or 5. I don't really like to try much heavier with my janky shoulder..."

At this point a huge dude near us jumped in with "I weigh 220 and no way I'd deadlift 275. That's heavy. You seriously bench that much, too? Holy balls."

I was seriously confused. I mean, 275 doesn't seem like a lot of weight for a deadlift, or bench, really. Am I wrong here? I dunno, maybe I'm freakishly strong. I can do 1-arm pullups, so I guess that's an indicator, but I think that's mainly because I'm also pretty light and grew up a gymnast.

Well...that's it. Cool story, bro.
            What your address? Ill mail you a medal for being so good at stuff.

Comment

I think your trainer is just freakishly weak

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
                I think your trainer is just freakishly weak
                That was my initial thought...

Comment

You are both benching and deadlifting a significantly larger amount of weight than you weigh. That's pretty impressive, but also somewhat easier to achieve if you are smaller. I'm 6'3 and if I hit my goal weight I'd have to be putting up over 400 lbs to match you.
                  ----------
                  Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                    I browsed the site but did not see anywhere the expected # of reps for these guidelines, what's a good start for a novice?

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
                    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Comment

Originally posted by froggie View Post
                      I browsed the site but did not see anywhere the expected # of reps for these guidelines, what's a good start for a novice?
                      Seriously, did grok count how many branches he touched during his climb to escape. Or did did he say bummer, I have to tie a rock or two to my deer. It seems lighter than the last one. Just do it till you are tired then rest. If it took too long to get tired, add weight. I see too many people hurt themselves or give up due to it being too hard or too easy. If you are competing with weights, ignore what I said.
                      Keep it going, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark h View Post
                        Seriously, did grok count how many branches he touched during his climb to escape. Or did did he say bummer, I have to tie a rock or two to my deer. It seems lighter than the last one. Just do it till you are tired then rest. If it took too long to get tired, add weight. I see too many people hurt themselves or give up due to it being too hard or too easy. If you are competing with weights, ignore what I said.
                        That's beside the point, I was looking for guidance because I've never lifted before. Now that I have acquired the basics from the primal fitness ebook, I'm moving towards weight lifting.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for beginners to determine appropriate reps & rest time?

Comment

Look into Starting Strength.

Comment

Originally posted by mark h View Post
                            Lots of people do a lot of things grok didnt do. This whole grok thing is retarded. Some people are competitive and want to go beast mode and lift super heavy and beat people's average lifts ect..

I do a lot of things grok didnt do. But I bet I can do a lot of things he DID do better than him.

Comment

Originally posted by froggie View Post
                              Those are 1 rep max lifts... which basically means the heaviest weight you can lift just ONCE (so you could just do it, but couldn't do a second). So that's different to choosing a weight you could lift 8-10 times.

There are numerous things you can do, really, and in CrossFit we mix it up a lot. We might do one exercise as a 5 rep max (so can't do more than 5 times)... and then rest and do it again, basically. Other times we'll do the same type of exercise but do it 21 times, or whatever (obviously with lighter weights).

Honestly, though, I just go to CrossFit and do what I'm told If I was to design a program for myself I'd probably search around for an appropriate program (Starting Strength or something maybe?!)

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                                Those are 1 rep max lifts... which basically means the heaviest weight you can lift just ONCE (so you could just do it, but couldn't do a second). So that's different to choosing a weight you could lift 8-10 times.

There are numerous things you can do, really, and in CrossFit we mix it up a lot. We might do one exercise as a 5 rep max (so can't do more than 5 times)... and then rest and do it again, basically. Other times we'll do the same type of exercise but do it 21 times, or whatever (obviously with lighter weights).

Honestly, though, I just go to CrossFit and do what I'm told If I was to design a program for myself I'd probably search around for an appropriate program (Starting Strength or something maybe?!)
                                Thanks for your answer on the 1 rep max. When I go to the gym, I'll probably try to situate myself with reasonable weights based upon reps and expected progression. Everywhere I read you're better off starting a little lower, get the form right and build confidence

Crossfit is not in my budget but since I work well on my own I'm going to research build up programs for weights and go from there!

Comment

Working...
                                X