Tips for lifting boulder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for lifting boulder?

Found a cool boulder in my yard that's jut exactly a little too heavy for me. I can pick it up with a straight back, but the grip is weird. Is it still useful exercise if I just hug the thing like a teddy bear and stand up? Does anybody else lift big ol' rocks?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Why not do a Sisyphus and roll it uphill?

Comment

Don't do it. Speaking as someone who thought he was muscled up enough for that stuff in his younger days you are asking for a life-long, troublesome back injury. I remember once lifting something like that at work and ended up going to my knees. It was as if someone hit me in the low back with an electric shock. I was in bed for days.
      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Was your back straight?
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

can you straddle it a bit and sort of squat/deadlift the thing? that might eventually get you to the point where you can do a ground to overhead move.
          otherwise, the bear hug sounds good as long as you're keeping everything in line. i used to lift a few rocks and boulders and parts of tree trunks...great strength building exercises.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Yeah, I'm squatting down to grab it. Once I grip it and get the weight on, I can stand about halfway up. The problem it that as my angle changes, so does the direction of the weight. I'm afraid it's going to slip out of my arms, so I tend to just shove it away and back out instead of completing the lift. Perhaps I'll try a full-on hug next time, with arms low so it can't slip out.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Yeah, I'm squatting down to grab it. Once I grip it and get the weight on, I can stand about halfway up. The problem it that as my angle changes, so does the direction of the weight. I'm afraid it's going to slip out of my arms, so I tend to just shove it away and back out instead of completing the lift. Perhaps I'll try a full-on hug next time, with arms low so it can't slip out.
              the half movement is probably a great progression. doing the same movement with slightly smaller boulders might get you there too.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Strongest Man Who Ever Lived 4 - YouTube

Concrete ball at end of video. Awesome.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Well, from the looks of that video, you could put it in a sack and drag it around. You could put it in something that has handles and pick it up. You could put it in a little cart and deadlift it. You could attach it to a harness and pull it behind you. You could pick it up with a bear hug and rest it on your stomach while you heave it into a barrel.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Was your back straight?
                    yep. I didn't even have to squat down as far as with using an Olympic bar deadlift.
                    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Not rocks but we took down a 50 y/o spruce tree and it has been cut into some big and interesting pieces....nice to lift and move.
                      Not to mention a nice heavy sandbag.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

I'm with Primal Rob on this one. Half lift is a great way to start out. And yes, use your legs in a squat/deadlift style.

Comment

Alright. Putting on some clothes and going to pick up that rock again. I'll rest a couple of days after this...
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Look up atlas stones. You might find some pointers!

Comment

Alright. Putting on some clothes and going to pick up that rock again. I'll rest a couple of days after this...
                              *gazing off into the distance....* uh, huh? Oh, nothing, just doing a visualization exercise. Have you tried tires?

Comment

Working...
                              X