Weight lifting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting?

I want to build some muscle. I'm a 15 year old girl, I'm 5'0 and around 108 pounds. I've been paleo for a few months, and I love it. I've been moving at a slow pace a lot, but now I want to start sprinting and lifting heavy things too. I'd like to start out doing a full body workout 2-3 times a week. I'm not really sure where to start. I know I should definitely do squats, what are some other simple movements? Sorry if this question has already been asked several times, thanks everybody!

Squats, deadlifts, pushups and pullups are some good compound movements to start with.

Comment

Look up Starting Strength. It was literally written for people your age. It's a blast!

Comment

Second Starting Strength; however, the brief programming and "diet plan" in the book while written for high school age kids it is written for high school age boys. Practical Programming includes chapters on "special needs" like old people and women.

Go to the starting strength forum and look up a woman named Tamara Cohen; she's out-spoken, annoying, funny, most importantly picks up a lot of weight and throws it over her head and maybe could be of help to you. I don't know her, but I try to never fail to read one of her posts or watch a video from her gym.

Comment

Has anyone read Eat Fat, Lose Fat? Does it follow along Primal lines? Thinking of buying it but I want to know a little more about it.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Do it! Starting Strength!

well then

Comment

+1 Starting strength.
                SixStringStrength.com

Comment

When the year begins to come to a close, people tend to become interested in getting a fresh start through making changes to their life. As a result, they will often decide that it is time to get into shape.

Comment

Just start from basic schedule and work with free weights. You can start with barbell pull up, bench press, barbell pullover, barbell curl, back curl and wrist curl. Check out those workouts from youtube.

Comment

While many people struggle to lose weight, there are plenty of others out there who struggle to gain weight. If you want to gain muscle, you may have trouble fighting your genetic makeup but, there is something you can do about it.

Comment

Here is a good article on choosing the right training method, including "Starting Strength" and "Big 3", both effective beginner program's.

I've personally moved onto "RPT", and have found the simplicity of heavy compounds works wonders
                        My Journal: Waking up early and eating breakfast again!

Comment

weight lifting is the main topic for those who are suffering from the heavy weight. there are so many ways to reduce the weight like drink more and more water per day , eat healthy foods and fruits which gives good amount of vitamins and calcium,avoid junk foods.

Comment

Good on you for taking charge of your health at fitness! Most people don't take action until they are already overweight or otherwise unhealty, so you are way ahead of the game.

I would like to add the suggestion to check out the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book if you haven't already. You just have to sign up for the newsletter here: 7 Reasons to Sign Up for the Free Newsletter | Mark's Daily Apple
                            I tried the PBF regimen as written recently and it kicked my butt, in a good way. I regularly train with barbells, but it still had me huffing and puffing since I went for max reps on every set.

I am not trying to discourage you from weight training AT ALL! You should most definitely do it. I agree with the previous posters that Starting Strength is a great program. My primary exercise is with barbells. I just wanted to present another option.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for the advice! I've been doing a lot of squats, deadlifts, pushups, situps, and I can almost do two chin ups! haha. I've also Incorporated sprints on Mondays.
                              Last edited by marymonster; 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X