Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 15, girl, should I do body weight exercises?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15, girl, should I do body weight exercises?

Hey guys, I'm 15, a girl, 4ft9 (sadly, but I guess I'm still growing up). I've just known MDA not too long ago and I'm trying to put things in order. But I heard from somewhere that doing body weight exercises will stunt the growing taller process for kids. Is that true? Should I do body weight exercises?

nah, you do bodyweight exercises just getting up off a chair

all it'll do is make you stronger, not shorter
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
      nah, you do bodyweight exercises just getting up off a chair

all it'll do is make you stronger, not shorter
      +1

Bodyweight exercises will not stunt your growth.
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

They will help you grow stronger and healthier. I used to train with a lot of teens at my TKD dojang, and the teen girls there did loads of bodyweight exercises. No stunted growth at all, and they were fit, strong, and happy young women because of their training (and many of them are now beautiful and healthy adult women thanks to developing positive fitness habits in their teens). Definitely go for it!
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'm a newb here and I need to clarify. Body weight exercises are those that use just your own body weight. Not the same as lifting weights. Is that correct?

Comment

Correct - there are lots of good programs from Primal Blueprint Fitness, You are your own gym and Convict Conditioning etc....PBF is free from here but the others can probably be checked out of your library or go and check Al's site.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Not to mention that working out causes increases in growth hormone and weight bearing exercise (body weight included) causes the bones to become stronger!

You absolutely can/should be doing body weight exercises! Being able to move your own body around is a fabulous thing. ANd make sure you do stuff that keeps you flexible too.

Comment

I started weight training at age 14 -- with weights, not just body weight. I'm nice and tall (for my family, etc). It's great.

Comment

For the record: I don't think there's any convincing evidence that lifting weights will cause any stunting or other damage for teens.

Comment

And what is wrong with being short, huh?
                    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

Yeah, a 15 year old girl can absolutely start lifting real weights. I'd recommend starting with bodyweight and working up to legit weights before too long.

Comment

Yes the benefits are great for starting early with body weight exercises. I think the question is if you have a supervisor/trainer or somebody else who is knowledgeable?

Comment

NOW is the time to push calcium into your bones. Get plenty of exercise and eat a LOT of vitamin K2, D and other supporting nutrients. I didn't start until 25, and I do wish I'd had that extra decade to build by body right.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

You should totally start body weight and lifting weights in your teens! It will strengthen your bones, improve your posture, make you more confident in your appearance and by having long term good quality muscles from your teens, through your 20s and beyond make you look better even if you do put on a few extra kilos at times. I've found as I've gotten older even if I have had periods of not training I maintain a toned looking physique.

You don't need to be a body builder and look like a bloke to have sleek, toned and strong feminine muscles from body weight training and weights.

Comment

have you started menstruating? If so, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably done (or an inch or two away from done) growing taller.

I lifted weights and did body-weight exercises throughout high school (so... 13-17, I have a late birthday), and did gymnastics from age 14-20, including coaching lots of kids (which always included body-weight conditioning as well as apparatus activities)... anything where you lift, push, pull your own weight should be fine as long as you're not maniacal about it (google "exercise bulimia"), weights you need to be a little more careful about, but at 15, you should be fine with those too.

Comment

Working...
                              X