Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 15, girl, should I do body weight exercises?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrimalMama View Post
    have you started menstruating? If so, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably done (or an inch or two away from done) growing taller.

I lifted weights and did body-weight exercises throughout high school (so... 13-17, I have a late birthday), and did gymnastics from age 14-20, including coaching lots of kids (which always included body-weight conditioning as well as apparatus activities)... anything where you lift, push, pull your own weight should be fine as long as you're not maniacal about it (google "exercise bulimia"), weights you need to be a little more careful about, but at 15, you should be fine with those too.
    Not always. I grew six inches between 15 and 18, after starting menstruation at 14. Most girls slow down after, but some of us still grow quite a bit into our later teens. I'd resigned myself to being short and was quite astonished to grow more.

The most recent research I've read shows that resistance training (including lifting weights) does not generally impact growth and can have multiple benefits for teens, so I would not be concerned about that particularly past the early stages of puberty. A couple of review articles:

Weight training in youth-growth, maturation... [Clin J Sport Med. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    Youth resistance training: updated posit... [J Strength Cond Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Resistance training among young athletes: sa... [Br J Sports Med. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
      Not always. I grew six inches between 15 and 18, after starting menstruation at 14. Most girls slow down after, but some of us still grow quite a bit into our later teens. I'd resigned myself to being short and was quite astonished to grow more.
      dang you outliers! (I was done growing upwards at age 11) :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Goosejuggler View Post
        And what is wrong with being short, huh?
        It majorly sucks . (Sorry couldn't resist... I'm super short so yeah...)

Anyhoo... As far as I'm aware bodyweight exercises are excellent, no matter how tall or short you are! However, I have heard that lifting heavy weights can cause growth stunting in teens and therefore should be avoided (not sure how heavy we are talking though...). It's been awhile since I heard about it, but I've always been aware of it (being a shorty and all) and I certainly would discourage my short teenage son from lifting heavy as a result . BUT at the same time I think doing plenty of bodyweight exercises is not a problem AT ALL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post

Anyhoo... As far as I'm aware bodyweight exercises are excellent, no matter how tall or short you are! However, I have heard that lifting heavy weights can cause growth stunting in teens and therefore should be avoided (not sure how heavy we are talking though...). It's been awhile since I heard about it, but I've always been aware of it (being a shorty and all) and I certainly would discourage my short teenage son from lifting heavy as a result . BUT at the same time I think doing plenty of bodyweight exercises is not a problem AT ALL!!
          Lifting doesn't stunt growth, especially in a 15 year old girl. If she wants to get strong, especially for sports, she should lift weights or do intense bodyweight exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post

Please have a look at the articles I linked above. The idea that lifting weights stunts growth is really a myth.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

There is nothing wrong with being short. Its just that I have this dream. And by the way, thanks guys for your informations. They are really helpful
              Last edited by Vhs19; 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, absolutely, do body weight exercises.

A given exercise being for men or women is nonsense. Everyone should aspire to be able to do "guy" pushups simply as a measure/demonstration of practical strength.

Many girls worry about building too much muscle - this will not happen, as it generally requires years of concerted effort in terms of both exercise and nutrition. What might happen is you will get toned!

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  Please have a look at the articles I linked above. The idea that lifting weights stunts growth is really a myth.
                  Well as I said, it's a long time since I read it, but it's always sort of stayed with me! (Could have been 20+ years ago... and I remember seeing this article about this boy who was about 6 and worked out with heavy weights, and how he wasn't growing properly etc. etc. he was bizarrely ripped for a little kid!!).

Anyways... I digress. If there really IS no link, then go for it. But still... I dunno, if you're super short, then I'd err on the side of caution (yeah, yeah... old paranoias die hard, as a super short person myself I wouldn't risk it! Not that it matters now I'm old, so I'll lift as heavy as I like).

Anyway, all beside the point, given that the OP was talking about bodyweight exercises rather than deadlifting twice her body weight!

Comment

Working...
                  X