Dumbells vs Barbell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbells vs Barbell

Trying to cut down on my equipment as the room its all kept in is being cleared out and turned into a proper spare room/drum room. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my current bench with non adjustable spotters in favour of a fold away flat bench and this got me thinking about switching to dumbells for lifts as they are much easier to pack away and I wouldn't need to worry about having a squat rack which takes up alot of space (and much easier to dump if I get in trouble as I train alone)

Just looking for any thoughts on this? I have some dumbell bars and about 110kg in plates already so plenty to progress with. Current lifting training is one day a week 5x5 bench press, front squat, bent over row and deadlift (may add a pull up bar to help aswell)

Thoughts please

Barbell, any less is just uncivilized.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Comment

What you lift to build strength really doesn't matter, as your body doesn't know whether you're lifting a barbell, dumbell, sandbag, big rocks, ect...
      Lift whatever is convienent for you to lift. Just lift something.

Comment

Dumb Bells would definitely be more convenient for storage at home. Don't think I could give up a barbell workout plan for a dumb bell one though.

Comment

Originally posted by counterpuncher View Post
          What you lift to build strength really doesn't matter, as your body doesn't know whether you're lifting a barbell, dumbell, sandbag, big rocks, ect...
          Lift whatever is convienent for you to lift. Just lift something.
          I guess I never really looked at it like that, thankyou for putting it in a different perspective.

Comment

You won't be able to handle as much weight in lifts like bench press using dumbbells as you would using a barbell so that will limit strength grains in those lifts.
            Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

How are you going to squat with dumbbells? What about incremental loading? And how many dumbbells do you plan to buy? A pair in every weight from 20-100? Gonna get spendy that way.

Do what I did, forego a couch in the living room for a couple squat stands and a proper "olympic" barbell. You won't regret it.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I love barbells, but for bench press I need to use dumbbells these days. My right shoulder just doesn't like the movement any more so it's easier to use dumbbells or a machine for that.

If you have the space a squat rack and barbell is the way to go.
                ----------
                Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

I prefer DBs or KBs because I am strongly dominant on one side -- and the other side is happy to let that one carry more of the load with a bar or sandbag or any other two-handed object. To get more strength in my weaker side I have to make it carry its own load.

My own experience is that the stabilizer muscles in each shoulder are worked much more with DBs or KBs - and the result is that I can lift roughly 1/3 as much per DB/KB as the two-handed lift total. So ... 100# of barbell/sandbag/rock/etc means I can do about 32-35# per DB or KB. I think it's due to the lack of mutual support and stabilization - that's what it "feels" like to me.

Comment

Kettlebells.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Barbell, get a squat rack with pegs, if the weight gets heavy it just comes down on the pegs, I was squating 355 and i stalled and just controlled and lowered the weight down onto the pegs

Comment

barbell for compound movements, but dumbells still have their place and shit, even a cable is nice sometimes (i love you Rip, but get over it). and definitely add the pull-ups.

Comment

For a while when I first started Paleo/Primal I gave up weights and just ran over to a park and worked out at the kids play ground, doing pullups, pushups, handstand pushups, various forms of situps, burpees and body weight squats. Also did some interval training at the high school track. Got great results. Then for a while I worked out with Kettle Bells, the variety of squats, cleans etc can give you an incredibly intense workout plus I added repeats on a long series of uphill steps and again I got great results, Recently I have gone back to the gym and started lifting with both DBs and BBs plus sprints and 3 to 5 mile runs. I like to vary it up, if I was just working out at home with limited space I would have a pullup bar and kettle bells.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Working...
                          X