I'm having a difficult time gaining mass while staying Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having a difficult time gaining mass while staying Primal

So I'm about 6,0-6,1 135 pounds. I go to the gym 3 days out of the week, Mon-Wed-Fri

I know how to lift, I got my workout routine down. I've hit a plateau though, and i've been stuck on this plateau for a year

I just don't know how to eat properly. I have an incredibly fast metabolism. I'm also an undergraduate student, and the food at my university is expensive for a small amount, its ridiculous.

Along with all this, I love eating my veggies. Broccoli, Cauliflower, bell peppers, etc. I like having a salad every meal, or at least in two meals out of the day.

With that being said, I'm having an incredibly difficult time meeting my caloric needs to gain mass. Going primal, that need becomes even harder to meet.

I'm what you would consider an "ectomorph."

Do you guys think I need to step outside of the primal diet to gain mass?

I've decided to move this thread to the nutrition section, as it seems more fitting there. I apologize to the moderator, please delete this thread if you find it bothersome.

Comment

I think moving it to the nutrition section is a good idea, but I'd still like to know a bit more about your training schedule.
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
        I think moving it to the nutrition section is a good idea, but I'd still like to know a bit more about your training schedule.
        Mon
        (5 min warm up)
        (stretch)
        Squats (warm up set)
        Squats - 2 sets - 5-8 reps (to failure)
        Leg press - 2 sets - 5-8 reps (to failure)
        Stiff legged deadlifts - 2 sets- 5-8 reps (to failure)
        Lying leg curls - 2 sets - 5-8 reps (to failure)
        Standing Calf Raises - 1 set - 10-15 reps
        Seated Calf Raises - 1 set - 10-15 reps
        Crunches - 1 set - however many I can knock out
        leg raises - 1 set - same as above

Wed
        (5 min warm up)
        (stretch)
        Bench Press (warm up set)
        Bench Press - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Tricep dips - 2 sets - (failure)
        Incline D-bell Press - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Seated Shoulder Press - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Standing lateral D-bell Raises - 2 sets - 10-15 reps
        Cable Tricep Extensions - 2 sets- 5-7 reps - (failure)
        Skull Crushers - 2 sets - 5-7 reps- (failure)

Friday
        (5 min warm up)
        (stretch)
        Deadlifts (warm up set)
        Deadlift - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Overhand Pull ups - 2 sets - (failure)
        Bent over Barbell Rows - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Barbell Shrugs - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Barbell Curls - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Dumbell Curls - 2 sets - 5-7 reps (failure)
        Wrist curls - 1 set - However many I can knock out

By failure, I mean I lift until (I THINK) I can't pump out another rep

Comment

I've had this same routine for over a year now though. I always figured as long as I kept adding weight, I wouldn't need to switch up the routine. Not really sure if I'm wrong here

Comment

The bottom line is going to end up being:
            -Bigger weights
            -Eat more
            -No, more
            -No, seriously, MORE

Comment

Eat everything in site if you want to gain weight. If it doesn't give you gut problems or bite back, eat it. Cheap things you can eat, cans of Tuna, canned Salmon, sardines. High calorie dressings on your veggies/salads. Gallon of milk or at least a liter of chocolate milk if you can do dairy. Starchy vegetables and fruits such as potatoes both white and sweet, bananas. Digestive enzymes to help you get all you can out of the foods you eat. All these recommendations are based on stomach tolerance.

Comment

I think a little less variety in your program and more of a focus on the big lifts would help here. A couple of lifts done well per session is going to be better than 10 or so that end up being 'paced'.
                Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                Brute Force Sandbags
                www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Meat.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    The bottom line is going to end up being:
                    -Bigger weights
                    -Eat more
                    -No, more
                    -No, seriously, MORE
                    This. Take potatoes, slice them as fries, bake, and eat eat eat.

Comment

Go back to basics, with a good compound routine. SS SL or if you feel you are more advanced Madcow or another advanced routine. Heck you might even benefit from a month of 20 rep squats. before doing the above.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

If you want to gain mass you need to eat more. That's really all there is to it. I am in the same boat as you right now. Except I am stuck at 175lbs at 6'0''. To give you an idea of what a normal day of eating is for me.. I am eating 6 eggs and lots of bacon every morning. Dinners are usually a pound of meat and a pound of veggies. Lunch is a little under a pound of chicken, half pound of veggies. I also take two scoops of whey on my workout days. Plenty of snacks too to try to get more calories in. I haven't kept track of my calories since getting on this diet back in june, but I think I am eating about 3500-4000 cals a day easy. So like I said, if you want to gain some mass.. start eating!

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by samiamm View Post
                            So I'm about 6,0-6,1 135 pounds. I go to the gym 3 days out of the week, Mon-Wed-Fri

I know how to lift, I got my workout routine down. I've hit a plateau though, and i've been stuck on this plateau for a year

I just don't know how to eat properly. I have an incredibly fast metabolism. I'm also an undergraduate student, and the food at my university is expensive for a small amount, its ridiculous.

Along with all this, I love eating my veggies. Broccoli, Cauliflower, bell peppers, etc. I like having a salad every meal, or at least in two meals out of the day.

With that being said, I'm having an incredibly difficult time meeting my caloric needs to gain mass. Going primal, that need becomes even harder to meet.

I'm what you would consider an "ectomorph."

Do you guys think I need to step outside of the primal diet to gain mass?
                            Yes, you do buddy and I believe Mark would agree with me if he was being honest. For your goals plus your circumstances, age and metabolism going outside of PB will be required if you want to reach your goals. Just add some of the best carbs available (qunioa, brown rice, sweet potato, buckwheat, and so on) and have a cheatmeal once or twice a week preferably on heavy workout days so you at least get something from it i.e. extra calories which enables swifter recovery.
                            One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

chaloney ftw!

i'd tweak your workout routine (you should be gassed after the squats, not ready for leg presses), but i don't think it's the major issue.

it's the food & calorie intake. you need to eat big - salads do not count. you need dairy and fat and eggs. you should be pounding whole eggs, cheese and white rice or potatoes like there's no tomorrow. sometimes training is uncomfortable or hard right? take the same approach to eating.

lots of people would kill to be on your side of the coin, but the grass is always greener...

Comment

Working...
                              X