No announcement yet.

Do You Plank?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I plank and have my students plank in yoga (we do a high plank rather than elbows to get started, and it's hard enough for a lot of people). my first goal with most people is to get them standing up properly. It can take months, building up the requisite body awareness and various strengths and flexibilities to develop truly good posture such that you would start moving into deeper back-bending movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
      I am just wondering if you hold the same opinion about the side plank as the straight plank?

I don't expect to stop doing planks simply because I like those few moments of perfect stillness in my stretching routine and the coming up of the shake as the body responds to the isometrics, but I was wondering if you see a benefit from side planks or they are for kicks as well?
      Did you read the post? I see benefit in planks, I just don't hold them in the esteemed regard that many others do.

With regards to the side plank - it's just another exercise as far as I'm concerned. If it delivers the desired goal then it's a great choice.
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post

Do you know if that's available outside the UK? I'm wondering if I can find it in Canada.
        Hmm, not sure - although I have been thinking about writing something for Outside Magazine, which I believe is available there. The link to the magazine is here:

Welcome | Outdoor Fitness Magazine
        Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Originally posted by RobbyJ View Post
          Hey Coach,

What you wrote seems spot on. Planks are fun and all, but my abs are the sorest after doing exercises like standing overhead press or dead lifts. I hold a plank position then move my hips side to side and up and down a bit, sort of like a slow "hump" motion, and the same thing on side planks (moving hips towards the ground, then up above parallel, then front to back). I notice that those sort of movements activate the muscles in ways that a static plank never will. What do you think about those movements, and what other plank variations do you incorporate to get better real-world transference?
          You raise a good point - strict static positions are not that common in real life. Anything that requires you to maintain a good postural position under load and/or movement would generally have good transference. Also, actively reducing stability (while working to maintain stability) by taking away a point of balance can be pretty effective - single leg/single arm planks work well.
          Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
            And back onto sandbags - Para Army Surplus Canvas Bag for Camping Fishing Tools Storage Carrying Kit Ect | eBay

Good cheap bag for filling with bags of sand?
            That bag looks pretty good - the handleless bags are awesome for grip strength too. I just use basic coarse sand - £1.58 for 25kg from Homebase.
            Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
              Hmm, not sure - although I have been thinking about writing something for Outside Magazine, which I believe is available there. The link to the magazine is here:

Do you know if that's available outside the UK? I'm wondering if I can find it in Canada.
              I am pretty sure is it at our local libraries.

Sorry should have checked first - not in the library
              Last edited by Dirlot; 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM.
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                I am pretty sure is it at our local libraries.
                That's awesome! It's a pretty big magazine so I wouldn't be surprised.
                Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Thought it was but it isn't...I think I am going to request that it is brought in.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                    Thought it was but it isn't...I think I am going to request that it is brought in.
                    Sad face. Definitely think you should put in a request!
                    Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

That bag looks pretty good - the handleless bags are awesome for grip strength too. I just use basic coarse sand - £1.58 for 25kg from Homebase.
                      Best bet is to take someone old to B&Q on a wednesday for 10% off day, it gives them an outing, though I have a trade card anyway so don't need to
                      You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                        Best bet is to take someone old to B&Q on a wednesday for 10% off day, it gives them an outing, though I have a trade card anyway so don't need to
                        Yep - that works!
                        Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

I'm late to the party, but wanted to say I liked your article Coach Palfrey!

I used to do planks, on occasion, but I've come to believe that the key to worthwhile core strength (meaning the type we want to develop to become more functional humans) is to teach ourselves to maintain healthy spinal posture while doing other exercises, especially exercises that mimic things we might do in real life. So I consider maintaining excellent spinal posture during squatting, deadlifting, OH pressing, farmer's walks, carrying a sandbag on your shoulders, doing a kettlebell clean, etc, to be the key to developing truly useful core strength.

I guess I'd say that one should be "doing abs" throughout the entire workout, without ever doing a single exercise that most would consider an ab exercise.

This is counter-intuitive in our current fitness culture. Thanks for bringing it up and making us all think about it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
                            I'm late to the party, but wanted to say I liked your article Coach Palfrey!

I used to do planks, on occasion, but I've come to believe that the key to worthwhile core strength (meaning the type we want to develop to become more functional humans) is to teach ourselves to maintain healthy spinal posture while doing other exercises, especially exercises that mimic things we might do in real life. So I consider maintaining excellent spinal posture during squatting, deadlifting, OH pressing, farmer's walks, carrying a sandbag on your shoulders, doing a kettlebell clean, etc, to be the key to developing truly useful core strength.

I guess I'd say that one should be "doing abs" throughout the entire workout, without ever doing a single exercise that most would consider an ab exercise.

This is counter-intuitive in our current fitness culture. Thanks for bringing it up and making us all think about it a bit.
                            Completely agree!
                            Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Outside Magazine is available here--I've picked it up a few times at Mountain Equipment Coop and it's been good. I hope you end up writing for them! I may have to look around and see if anyone brings Outdoor Fitness in here. We used to have a good international magazine shop that I liked, but they closed down, and I haven't looked for a replacement. Maybe Dirlot and I just have to start lobbying our public library for it!
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Outside Magazine is available here--I've picked it up a few times at Mountain Equipment Coop and it's been good. I hope you end up writing for them! I may have to look around and see if anyone brings Outdoor Fitness in here. We used to have a good international magazine shop that I liked, but they closed down, and I haven't looked for a replacement. Maybe Dirlot and I just have to start lobbying our public library for it!
                                Yep, fingers crossed. I'll probably aim for it in the new year - my to do list is about a mile long right now! Definitely think you guys should lobby the library for it, my editor would love that!
                                Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Working...
                                X