Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walked an hour.

Comment

• off to vinyasa yoga tonight - 1.5 hours of groovin yoga to music & laughter. (play & lift heavy things all rolled into one!)
      Robin
      ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

• Tuesday -- This bodyweight workout of squats, lunges, pushups, pullups. http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout5.shtml plus front and side ab planks for a minute each x 3 rounds

Wednesday -- 10 x 100-yard sprints

Thursday -- Rest day

Friday -- Kettlebell / Bodyweight circuit. Used a 35-pound bell. 3 Rounds

Goblet Squats 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        1-Hand Swings Left 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        1-Hand Swings Right 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        Pushups 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        1-Hand Row Left 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        1-Hand Row Right 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        1-Hand MP Press Left 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        1-Hand MP Press Right 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds
        Pull Ups 30 Seconds / Rest 30 Seconds

plus front and side ab planks 1 minute each for 2 rounds.

Got this all done within 40 minutes. Trimming number of sets I normally do to see if I there's more benefit and improvement.
        Last edited by Godzilla; 08-13-2010, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Took a quick 15 minute walk.

Drank a cup of coffee.

Then did "Rowing Murph" which as a rowing adaptation of the CrossFit Benchmark WOD "Murph".

For Time:
          1500M row
          100 pull ups
          200 pushups
          300 squats
          1500M row

Must complete all rep's before moving to next exercise. Break up/rest as needed.

To do it CrossFit style sub a 1500m Run for each row.

My time: 49:34.66

Comment

• No time for gym yestersay so I did:

Pushups 3 x F
            100 Kettlebell swing 60 - 40; 50lbs)
            35 sumo squats with 50 lb kb
            35 regular squats with 50 lb kb
            35 air squats
            Planks 3 x 60 sec

4.5 hour hike around Chicago

Then I worked out my liver with a few friends
            --
            Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

• Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
              That just means more reps = more muscle; less reps = more strength. You don't have to go to failure to cause hypertrophy.
              It almost seems that a reverse pyramid gets the best of both worlds:

Start lighter with more reps -> muscle
              End heavier with less reps -> strength
              --
              Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

• 5 rounds of 15 burpees + 40 yard bear crawl. I started a sixth round but made it to five burpees before the heat got to me and pre-nausea kicked into full gear. Didn't want to overheat/puke, so I stopped. Total time was 20 minutes almost on the nose (20:04.xx), including a two-minute rest after the fourth round (I had planned on possibly going eight rounds, but for a conditioning day that's a bit much).

Definitely need to add in burpees to my routines more. Man my timing on those is horrible...
                Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Originally posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
                  It almost seems that a reverse pyramid gets the best of both worlds:

Start lighter with more reps -> muscle
                  End heavier with less reps -> strength
                  Yeah, that's what my warm ups are for. But I still stay within the 5 rep range so I don't get too tired for my work set. Eventually I might add a 20-rep squat day to my routine.

Anyways today I did a bike ride to the mall and bike without eating anything as I wasn't hungry. Had some BCAA's and coconut oil before, so it wasn't really a fast. Surprisingly I'm not very sore today. Had about 6,000 calories yesterday lol...
                  .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                  ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

• @rphlslv
                    You have it backwards. You don't need to go to failure to increase strength.

The 30 % of 1RM routine that didn't go to failure didn't generate the muscle growth.

Failure is defined by RALPH N. CARPINELLI1, ROBERT M. OTTO and RICHARD A. WINETT as the inability to complete your last positive rep with good form.

The biggest difference between the type of routine you do and mine is you improve your synaptics when it come to lifting weights. Since your goal is to become better at certain lifts, then that is the routine you require for maximum skill set development.

Because I've not done resistance training or any real exercise for 30 years, I need to grow muscle mass. I've probably loss any where from 15 to 30 lbs of muscle mass over those years and I need to get my mass back up to maintain and improve my mobility and function.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vick View Post
                      @rphlslv
                      You have it backwards. You don't need to go to failure to increase strength.
                      Ummm I never said that.

Comment

• Shoulder press 60 lbs 67 seconds
                        Leg press 230 lbs 1 minute 49 seconds
                        Lat pulldown 130 lbs for 55 seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
                          I think it all really depends on your goals, though. For instance, as a personal trainer, I wouldn't reccomend this protocol for somebody looking to improve their functional strength and power. I still strongly stand behind focusing on the basic movement patterns: pull-up, push-up, press, squat, deadlift. These necessary movements cannot improve without practice. Have you ever tried a traditional weight lifting day, just doing setsxreps?
                          This is an misguided concept put forth by many trainers but the science doesn't support it. Movement patterns improve symnaptics but only in the movements you are doing.

Doing push ups doesn't improve your ability to hit a hockey puck or climb a ladder. It makes you better at doing push ups. To improve those other skills you have to do them. That improves the movement patterns in those skill sets.

As for doing a number of sets x reps... the science supports going to maximum effort on the last rep. I find it easier to accomplish this in one set. But you are absolutely correct. It does matter what your goals are.

Regardless of what BBS claims, in the past month my daily physical activity went up and this resulted in lower Diastolic blood pressure readings. In fact they came into the normal range. This suggests for me 12 minutes a week isn't enough to control my blood pressure. I want to find something that increases my activity but doesn't overly effect my recovery. (I know you still aren't buying into that but that's ok.)

Maybe I'll try swimming a couple times a week.

Comment

• Today! 1.5 hr walk around my old hometown, stopping to pick wild blackberries that are growing along the totally deserted sidewalks while all the cars drive by....Back home, 3 x 20 below parallel squats w/ car tire in each hand. 40x unbalanced pushups (one hand on car tire, alternating). These were harder on the pecs than I expected! Will do again. Several plank / side plank thingys. Experimenting with handstands (not quite ready for a pushup, but not too far off! Better than expected). Finally, OHP 2 x 12 using an old rusty wheelbarrow (heavy one). Took a lot of balance. Tired! !
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• I made the mistake of trying to do my playground workout, in the full heat, only 2 days after the gym. At least I got my weekly sprints in lol...
                              Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
                              Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
                              Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
                              Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

Comment

• Originally posted by Vick View Post
                                Doing push ups doesn't improve your ability to hit a hockey puck or climb a ladder. It makes you better at doing push ups. To improve those other skills you have to do them. That improves the movement patterns in those skill sets.
                                Well, you do realize that holding a weight on a machine won't make you better in anything BUT that movement (if you can call it one), too, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X