No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today... today was just sprints and handstand holds. I'm still against a wall for the handstands, hands are probably 2/3 of a foot from the wall. Tried to emphasize my left arm more today, as I'm slowly in the process of correcting some muscular imbalances in my body. Did... oh, I don't know, seven or so holds and a variety of sprints ranging from 25-100 yards.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Vick,

You are incorrect in your statement... Training without going to failure WILL support long term muscle growth, and WILL put on muscle mass. Actually, many trainers strictly advise NOT to go to failure, in order to keep the CNS "fresh" in order to train the muscle more frequently, building MASS more quickly through primarily sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

I'm not sure exactly what Raphael's goals are, or how big he wants to get. Different training methods should be considered whether he's looking for a powerlifting physique or a bodybuilding physique. But going until failure is not really necessary in either case to build strength or mass.

For strength, powerful movements should be implimented... Doing a 3x5 or a 5x5 routine of presses, squats and deadlifts like Raphael is doing will definitely grow long term strength, I'm not sure why you would say it wouldn't, as long as you keep changing the weight and pushing yourself a little more each time. However, Raphael, if your goal is too build big, bulky muscles, I would suggest doing a higher rep scheme. And eat like a monster. I'm not sure why you were fasting all the time if muscle mass was your goal. Hmm...

Tried to workout today, but the fire was missing. Probably won't have time this weekend, but I'm not too concerned... :-) Last week up north!
      On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
        Vick,

You are incorrect in your statement... Training without going to failure WILL support long term muscle growth, and WILL put on muscle mass. Actually, many trainers strictly advise NOT to go to failure, in order to keep the CNS "fresh" in order to train the muscle more frequently, building MASS more quickly through primarily sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

I'm not sure exactly what Raphael's goals are, or how big he wants to get. Different training methods should be considered whether he's looking for a powerlifting physique or a bodybuilding physique. But going until failure is not really necessary in either case to build strength or mass.

For strength, powerful movements should be implimented... Doing a 3x5 or a 5x5 routine of presses, squats and deadlifts like Raphael is doing will definitely grow long term strength, I'm not sure why you would say it wouldn't, as long as you keep changing the weight and pushing yourself a little more each time. However, Raphael, if your goal is too build big, bulky muscles, I would suggest doing a higher rep scheme. And eat like a monster. I'm not sure why you were fasting all the time if muscle mass was your goal. Hmm...

Tried to workout today, but the fire was missing. Probably won't have time this weekend, but I'm not too concerned... :-) Last week up north!
        I think Vick meant that for optimal muscle growth one should do the 10 minute a week thing he talks about. He admits that it won't build strength the way a program like SS will. In turn I won't disagree that his program is good for muscle building - it probably is. However that's not to say that SS and other strength training programs won't result in mass gains, especially for beginners. Any novice will make muscle gains no matter what program they're on.

As for fasting, that was months and months ago. I quit that - it was lots of wasted time.

You are right about the higher reps. In simple terms (and probably too simplified): High reps = more muscle, less strength; low reps = more strength, less muscle (going to failure doesn't seem to be important at all). My training falls under the latter category, and I admit I'm not building a lot of mass, but it's okay. I believe strength needs to come first in order to build a solid foundation, and I'm going to keep that up because I'm chasing a 3 plate squat and I think it will come sooner than I expect.

Anyways, to add to the thread. I was brutally sore today from doing 3 heavy deadlift singles yesterday, so I did nothing all day but ate 5,500 calories if my calculations are right.
        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

• Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
          sorry to hear, that sounds depressing as hell
          It is not too bad; I picked a fun little topic to investigate: humor and attraction. Pretty much, I'm using my master's degree as an excuse to see how being funny could help picking up a lady friend. Am I creepy or what

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
          Anyways, to add to the thread. I was brutally sore today from doing 3 heavy deadlift singles yesterday, so I did nothing all day but ate 5,500 calories if my calculations are right.
          5500? That sounds magically delicious! I'm a little envious of you though in that category; even on my most active days I have trouble scarfing down 2500-2700 calories. It is just way too filling.
          --
          Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

• Today: Helped dad move and install a new fridge and washer/dryer in the new house. Later did 5 x sprints (length of my high school baseball field) + burpees (10,10,8,6,6, collapse). Plenty of gasping like a dying fish on the perfect, perfect grass too. Shirtless, summertime in Oregon. Lovely.

Mr Burpee, not so lovely.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• Big 4: Seated Row, Chest Press, Lat Pulldown, Leg Press
              Side planks
              Lower back exercise
              Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
              Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
              Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
              Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

Comment

• Originally posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
                5500? That sounds magically delicious! I'm a little envious of you though in that category; even on my most active days I have trouble scarfing down 2500-2700 calories. It is just way too filling.
                Yeah, it's really great not having to give a shit about gaining weight anymore. Saves a lot of time and headache.

Comment

• SimpleFit L3D3 in a time of 7:54.15. Yeah, I'll be repeating next week. Pull-ups were, as expected, the failing point. They took me nearly five minutes alone; 5-3-3-1-1-1-1-1. Pushups were diamond pushups, did 20+9+4; squats were a cinch. Then did 50 burpees for time, in a shockingly poor 8:24. I'm going to go with the excuse that the SF tired me out.

Yeah. That's exactly the reason. <_< >_>

(I'm going to have one conditioning day be burpees...)
                  Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                  -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Here is some interesting science regarding going to failure.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0811125943.htm

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0012033

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fu..._And.1216.aspx

Comment

• Today is back day for me (3-5 mins break between sets for all except chin up and barbell rows)
                      Deadlift 3x5 + (1 warmup)
                      Romanian Deadlift 3x8
                      Barbell Rows 4x10
                      Squat Rows 3x10
                      Weighted Chin Ups 3x10

Comment

• Simple Fit:

L4D3 - 4:25

L5 is where the real difficulty will begin!

Comment

• Maxed out on squats 280 lbs 4 reps, great depth

Bench 180 lbs 5 reps

Rows 155 lbs 5 reps

Comment

• Ummm.... those are all the same study.

Comment

• 1 mile in these: http://twitpic.com/2ee9iw

25min bike trainer

Comment

• That just means more reps = more muscle; less reps = more strength. You don't have to go to failure to cause hypertrophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X