Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't think you know how to 5/3/1? Are you doing one of the new "Beyond" templates?
    I should have phrased the question better. What I was saying is I was about to start the program. I have read and re-read the book multiple times, but since the intensity starts out light I was wondering if I can transition into the program without taking a deload first. I've been training for months on a deficit and reaching PR's. This is my last week before I stop cutting.

    Comment


    • Last day medium day before week off.

      Squat 260 X 3 X 3 all paused
      Bench 195 X 3 X 3 paused
      Deadlift 275 X 3 X 7-10 sets extra fast no belt or mixed grip

      Some fluff like GHRs Tri extension blahh blahh blahh before I left

      Comment


      • walking to work 2k in 20 min; walking from work 2k in 30 min; long slow walk for 120.

        Comment


        • 1)Sumo Deadlift- 370lb x 5reps (mix grip after 3)
          2a)Ring Pullup- 9,8,8reps
          b)Dip (+77.5lb) 5,5,11reps

          Question about rounded upper-back deadlifts… How bad are they? Any time I go above 325ish my upper back can't hang and I pull with a hunch back. I don't get any pain from them but I feel like its only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong. I think the right thing to do is go back and slowly work my way back up using perfect (neutral spine) form. Maybe find some assistance exercises to build up my upper back. I don't compete and I plan on lifting for the next 30 years so thats probably the healthy thing to do. Found this article pretty good http://stronglifts.com/deadlift/rounding/

          But…. Is there anyone that lifts this way and never had an issue? I believe Rich M has a reason for doing it but I couldn't find it after searching. Any exercises you guys recommend to strengthen my back outside of pull-ups and bent over rows?

          Comment


          • Pulling sumo helps keep my lower back more neutral. I love pulling conventional since its less technical and more bad ass. Recently I've been using sub-maximal weights and using great form. Whenever close to a 1-3 rm and form gets wonky I'll switch to sumo.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Williamssen View Post
              1)Sumo Deadlift- 370lb x 5reps (mix grip after 3)
              2a)Ring Pullup- 9,8,8reps
              b)Dip (+77.5lb) 5,5,11reps

              Question about rounded upper-back deadlifts… How bad are they? Any time I go above 325ish my upper back can't hang and I pull with a hunch back. I don't get any pain from them but I feel like its only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong. I think the right thing to do is go back and slowly work my way back up using perfect (neutral spine) form. Maybe find some assistance exercises to build up my upper back. I don't compete and I plan on lifting for the next 30 years so thats probably the healthy thing to do. Found this article pretty good http://stronglifts.com/deadlift/rounding/

              But…. Is there anyone that lifts this way and never had an issue? I believe Rich M has a reason for doing it but I couldn't find it after searching. Any exercises you guys recommend to strengthen my back outside of pull-ups and bent over rows?
              Hey, Williamssen,

              Post a vid if you can.

              I pull with a rounded upper back due to a kyphotic curvature of the spine. If you pull with a curvature due to upper back weakness, as opposed to a structural deficency, strengthen the traps & rhoms with accessory exercises like farmers walks, shrugs, & heavy rack pulls.

              You can also search Dave Tate to learn why he teaches curved upper back DL.

              Here's my curve from profile.....



              Front.....



              Just make sure your L-spine isn't curving with the C-spine.
              Age: 70
              Ht: 5'8"
              Wt: 166
              BF: 9%

              Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

              Comment


              • First day back post competition.

                Skwaat to 235x3x5 paused.

                DL to 320x3x5.

                Shrug to 285x3x12 w/straps.

                Rack pulls to 385x3x5.

                Passed on pressing, shoulder is a little cranky today.
                Age: 70
                Ht: 5'8"
                Wt: 166
                BF: 9%

                Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

                Comment


                • Thanks for the advice guys. Here is my video from yesterday


                  I think I am gong to go back down about 100lb and use perfect form. Probably use more volume (3x5) and maybe a fat bar for a little grip work. I am also going to get some farmers bars and add them in as a finisher twice a week.

                  Comment


                  • Little cardio from this morning
                    https://www.instagram.com/p/BDdbPDik...heproperviking

                    Comment


                    • 6 mile run.. in the rain.. listening to Foggy Mountain Breakdown....

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Williamssen View Post
                        Thanks for the advice guys. Here is my video from yesterday


                        I think I am gong to go back down about 100lb and use perfect form. Probably use more volume (3x5) and maybe a fat bar for a little grip work. I am also going to get some farmers bars and add them in as a finisher twice a week.
                        Hey, Williamssen,

                        I don't pull sumo, but I think I'm seeing some issues with your set up.

                        Check Burdick's head and back angle in comparison to your own. Your head and chest are facing the floor when you initiate the pull.





                        If you have the mobility to get your chest and head up (a more vertical torso), I think a lot of that back curvature will take care of itself, though you might still have to accessorize the lats & upper back.
                        Age: 70
                        Ht: 5'8"
                        Wt: 166
                        BF: 9%

                        Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Williamssen View Post
                          Thanks for the advice guys. Here is my video from yesterday


                          I think I am gong to go back down about 100lb and use perfect form. Probably use more volume (3x5) and maybe a fat bar for a little grip work. I am also going to get some farmers bars and add them in as a finisher twice a week.
                          I'd also watch how quickly your hips rise. Try starting with your hips lower and rise with the pull, you will get a lot more leverage that way. Dial in your form and you've got a lot more in the tank. That video Michael posted perfectly illustrates my point.. watch how the dude's hips stay low and rise with his pull.

                          Comment


                          • Overhead press: 114x3, 129x3, 149x4

                            Assist. Ex. OHP 5x10@99


                            Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                            Comment


                            • Bench to 185x3x5
                              w/slingshot to 200x5x5
                              Seated DB OP to 45x3x10
                              Decline DB press to 50x3x10
                              Shoulder is still a little funky.

                              Loaded PU's to 35x3x5
                              Pendlay Rows to 160x4x7
                              Corner rows (long bar rows) with four 25's @ 4x10

                              Kneeling long jumps - 2x5

                              30 minutes sauna.

                              Basically, just did a bunch of stuff I like for the first time in a while. The 12 week peaking block I finished last week was both repetitive and restrictive.
                              Age: 70
                              Ht: 5'8"
                              Wt: 166
                              BF: 9%

                              Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Michael S View Post
                                Bench to 185x3x5
                                w/slingshot to 200x5x5
                                Seated DB OP to 45x3x10
                                Decline DB press to 50x3x10
                                Shoulder is still a little funky.

                                Loaded PU's to 35x3x5
                                Pendlay Rows to 160x4x7
                                Corner rows (long bar rows) with four 25's @ 4x10

                                Kneeling long jumps - 2x5

                                30 minutes sauna.

                                Basically, just did a bunch of stuff I like for the first time in a while. The 12 week peaking block I finished last week was both repetitive and restrictive.
                                Would you mind sharing with me this program? It just so happens there is a powerlifting meet 13 weeks from now. Apart from the 3 crossfit competitions this would be my first time in the powerlifting arena.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X