What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael S View Post
    Yesterday I had plenty of time to devout to my new reverse hyper machine. I estimate that throughout the day I probably did 250 - 300 reps with 2 plates (20 and 30 rep sets). Last night was the first pain free night I've enjoyed in almost 2 months. I still have some numbness in the hip/glut/leg, but I'm pain free.

Today I decompressed the spine on the RH machine, then headed to the gym and pulled (pain free).

Warmed-up to 365x5, 390x3, 400x2, all conventional (I think there's a PR in there somewhere). Mixed-in a few light sumo sets during the warm-up.

Below the knee rack pulls up to 1 set of 5x410.

Deficits on a 4" stepper - 6 sets of 3 at 285.

Did some calf raises, then off to the sauna for 2 - 20 minute sessions with a 5 minute cooling interval.

Came home for more spinal decompression on the RH.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly happy with this new machine. Anyone with spinal issues really needs to experience the RH.
    That genuinely makes me happy to hear. You must have been ecstatic with your low back.

Comment

• Last night:
      Squat: 400 x 1 x 3 (3 singles, gym PR. Have hit 400 and 410 in competition before)
      Bench: 245 x 1, 205 x 7 x 3
      Deadlift: 435 x 1 x 6 in 3:56

The final (and oddly, best) rep at 400#:

[/QUOTE]
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Last night:
        Squat: 400 x 1 x 3 (3 singles, gym PR. Have hit 400 and 410 in competition before)

[/QUOTE]

That's big. Good shit

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
          That genuinely makes me happy to hear. You must have been ecstatic with your low back.
          Thanks, Lockstock. Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. The PT is working on my shoulder 3 x a week so no pressing, and I'm still reluctant to place a load directly on my spine. That leaves the RH, a couple deadlift variations, body weight skwaatz & pullups, and some lower body machine routines. I realize I'm pushing it with the DLs, so I'm gonna cut the intensity and focus on speed work in the 60% - 70% range for a couple of weeks.
          Ht: 5'8"
          Wt: 166
          BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

Last night:

[/QUOTE]

Beast mode Rich!! Keep it up, very motivational.

Comment

• What is your workout today?

Last night

Squat : 250 3 sets of 6
              Deadlift : 340 2 sets of 6
              Glute Ham Raise : 3 sets of 8
              Leg Extensions, stretching, and lots of foam rolling.

Comment

• Squat: 150x5x5
                Overhead Press: 95x5x5
                Deadlift: 245x1x5

5 weeks into barbell training. I had a small victory today. Successfully pressed 95 after failing the past two workouts.

Squat is feeling good. 150 felt easier than 145 and 140. No abnormal pain.

The deadlifts take everything I have.

Thanks for listening!
                Mr C

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Thanks, Lockstock. Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. The PT is working on my shoulder 3 x a week so no pressing, and I'm still reluctant to place a load directly on my spine. That leaves the RH, a couple deadlift variations, body weight skwaatz & pullups, and some lower body machine routines. I realize I'm pushing it with the DLs, so I'm gonna cut the intensity and focus on speed work in the 60% - 70% range for a couple of weeks.
                  What about hip hinge variations? Like slow RDLs or kettle bell dead-lifts (cue laughter) to teach proper bending and train the oosterior chain?

Comment

• It's my deload week and today was my rest day, so...of COURSE I got talked into trying some insane challenge from a buddy. Apparently it's the "advanced" test for one of those bar calisthenics programs.

We decided it all had to be done clean and strict, good form, straight legs, all that crap. Dumb.

Supposed to be completed in under 5 minutes:

-7 bar muscle ups
                    -25 dips
                    -10 wide grip pullups
                    -35 pushups
                    -10 leg raise toes to bar
                    -7 bar muscle ups

Didn't seem too hard to get done looking at it beforehand, and I blazed through all of it in well under four minutes...until that last set of muscle ups. My triceps just shut down and I couldn't transition over the bar at all. Had to rest and then do singles after the first three. Ended up finishing a smidge under 7:00. That opening set of muscle ups was easy; cadence was like doing pullups.

This thing suuuuuucked. my heart rate was super elevated for at least ten minutes after. Talk about a pump, though--I looked JACKED when I took my shirt off afterwards.

I'll try it again sometime and get it in under five.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                      What about hip hinge variations? Like slow RDLs or kettle bell dead-lifts (cue laughter) to teach proper bending and train the oosterior chain?
                      Yeah, I do light RDLs as part of my DL warm-up. I can DL with caution, but deep hip flexion with a loaded spine is "contra" right now.

And my standard back routine is on hold as any type of bent rowing (Pendlay, Long Bar, or DB) is still a bit problematic.

Pain hasn't returned since I started doing RHs last Saturday, but I still experience tingling and numbness in the glute/leg when standing. I no longer have symptoms when driving/sitting, or lying in bed.

Today I risked a few sets of goblet skwaatz with no ill effects. Carried 25 lbs and wore a hip circle. I'll gradually ease my way into back skwaatz depending on how I'm feeling.

I actually did a few biceps curls with the EZ Bar. Can't do anything else, so why not? But man, I hate doing arms.

Did a sh*t ton of RHs, and an hour's worth of PT on the shoulder. This is the second week with the therapist and he's very happy with the rate of progress. Who knows, maybe someday I'll be able bench more than 25 lbs.

2 - 20 minute sauna sessions with a 5 minute cooling interval.

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                        It's my deload week and today was my rest day, so...of COURSE I got talked into trying some insane challenge from a buddy. Apparently it's the "advanced" test for one of those bar calisthenics programs.

We decided it all had to be done clean and strict, good form, straight legs, all that crap. Dumb.

Supposed to be completed in under 5 minutes:

-7 bar muscle ups
                        -25 dips
                        -10 wide grip pullups
                        -35 pushups
                        -10 leg raise toes to bar
                        -7 bar muscle ups

Didn't seem too hard to get done looking at it beforehand, and I blazed through all of it in well under four minutes...until that last set of muscle ups. My triceps just shut down and I couldn't transition over the bar at all. Had to rest and then do singles after the first three. Ended up finishing a smidge under 7:00. That opening set of muscle ups was easy; cadence was like doing pullups.

This thing suuuuuucked. my heart rate was super elevated for at least ten minutes after. Talk about a pump, though--I looked JACKED when I took my shirt off afterwards.

I'll try it again sometime and get it in under five.
                        Piece of cake.

Tomorrow, 25 canonballs in under 5 minutes - off the high board (or I can't come home).

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Michael S; 10-20-2015, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjwashington421 View Post

Beast mode Rich!! Keep it up, very motivational.
                          Thanks, RJ. It's been almost exactly 3 years since I stopped f*cking around and started actual training. My work-set weights were 225 then, and 275 buried me several times on my way here. We keep at it, and we get stronger. Sometimes it's glorious, sometimes it's heartbreaking, but we come back better every damn time we step foot in the gym. 405 is next.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Yesterday I had plenty of time to devout to my new reverse hyper machine. I estimate that throughout the day I probably did 250 - 300 reps with 2 plates (20 and 30 rep sets). Last night was the first pain free night I've enjoyed in almost 2 months. I still have some numbness in the hip/glut/leg, but I'm pain free.

Today I decompressed the spine on the RH machine, then headed to the gym and pulled (pain free).

Warmed-up to 365x5, 390x3, 400x2, all conventional (I think there's a PR in there somewhere). Mixed-in a few light sumo sets during the warm-up.

Below the knee rack pulls up to 1 set of 5x410.

Deficits on a 4" stepper - 6 sets of 3 at 285.

Did some calf raises, then off to the sauna for 2 - 20 minute sessions with a 5 minute cooling interval.

Came home for more spinal decompression on the RH.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly happy with this new machine. Anyone with spinal issues really needs to experience the RH.
                            That's awesome. I wish we had one at gym. Sounds like you got one at home though. Livin' the dream!!

I hurt my back about 3 and a half years ago. Disc herniations. I'm pretty much symptom free at this point, but I still sometimes get random numbness on my lateral calf area and other places. Usually doesn't last long, but I bet a RH machine would help resolve even those issues.

Comment

Last night:

[/QUOTE]

Daaaang! Nice work, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                                That's awesome. I wish we had one at gym. Sounds like you got one at home though. Livin' the dream!!

I hurt my back about 3 and a half years ago. Disc herniations. I'm pretty much symptom free at this point, but I still sometimes get random numbness on my lateral calf area and other places. Usually doesn't last long, but I bet a RH machine would help resolve even those issues.
                                I understand, yodie. My previous herniations have rendered L-4 L-5 & L-5 S-1, the weakest links in the chain. The RH is essential if I hope to continue lifting. Unfortunately the machine is hard to come by in commercial gym settings. The PL gym I train at has 2 of them. One belongs to the gym owner, and the second machine belongs to a member. Typically, I would make the hour drive to the gym, get on one of the RHs for 60 minutes, and not have enough time to use all the specialty PL equipment. So purchasing my own machine has solved a couple of problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X