Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by SpitFire View Post
    After taking a week off and being on vacation, I started back where I left off in SS.

    Squat: 3x5 @ 92.5
    Bench: 3x5 @ 72.5
    Rows: 3x5 @ 55

    I will more than likely keep the squat weight for 2-3 more workouts. If I don't, I know I won't be able to progress.
    umm, there's no rows in SS... And there's no repeating weights unless you fail reps... Just sayin.
    The Champagne of Beards

    Comment


    • Deads

      7 days out. Last DL before competition.

      Warmed up to 390x1,1.

      390 felt exceptionally heavy today.

      4 sets of standing calf raises.

      Went home.
      Age: 70
      Ht: 5'8"
      Wt: 166
      BF: 9%

      Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        umm, there's no rows in SS... And there's no repeating weights unless you fail reps... Just sayin.
        I'm subbing rows because I can't power clean and can't do chin ups (yet).
        I was struggling HARD on the last set of squats. Form was starting to breakdown. I am choosing to repeat them. Just sayin.

        Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Michael S View Post
          Deads

          7 days out. Last DL before competition.

          Warmed up to 390x1,1.

          390 felt exceptionally heavy today.

          4 sets of standing calf raises.

          Went home.
          My last heavy pull day before a meet always feels heavy. You accumulated fatigue that is now going to dissipate in the lead up to the meet. It is supposed to be that way, and doesn't mean you won't pull an easy PR or two on meet day. Go kill it!
          The Champagne of Beards

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            My last heavy pull day before a meet always feels heavy. You accumulated fatigue that is now going to dissipate in the lead up to the meet. It is supposed to be that way, and doesn't mean you won't pull an easy PR or two on meet day. Go kill it!
            Yeah, Rich. I was planning on warming up to my skwaat opener on Sunday, but not so sure now. Maybe a couple sets of 5s at 70% would be the prudent approach, followed by a few reps on Wednesday at like 135. If I don't skwaat between now and the meet I'll pay a price on the platform.

            I appreciate the support.
            Age: 70
            Ht: 5'8"
            Wt: 166
            BF: 9%

            Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SpitFire View Post
              I was struggling HARD on the last set of squats. Form was starting to breakdown. I am choosing to repeat them. Just sayin.
              Struggle hard with 2.5 more pounds on the bar. The hard workouts make you stronger so that you can have another hard workout a little heavier next time. That's the point of a linear progression. If you didn't adapt to each workout and get stronger so that you can do the next weight, then you aren't able to run a linear progression, because you're no longer a novice. No offense, but I doubt that's the case at this point.

              Rows are a dumb substitution for power cleans. Do light deadlifts and pull them fast. Or learn to power clean. Is there a Starting Strength coach in your area?
              The Champagne of Beards

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Struggle hard with 2.5 more pounds on the bar. The hard workouts make you stronger so that you can have another hard workout a little heavier next time. That's the point of a linear progression. If you didn't adapt to each workout and get stronger so that you can do the next weight, then you aren't able to run a linear progression, because you're no longer a novice. No offense, but I doubt that's the case at this point.

                Rows are a dumb substitution for power cleans. Do light deadlifts and pull them fast. Or learn to power clean. Is there a Starting Strength coach in your area?
                I understand linear progression. If I take time off, I lose strength fast. I might try 95 on Monday and see how it goes. I am still most definitely a beginner. No coaches even sorta close to me

                I've watched an abundance of power clean videos but I don't feel comfortable or coordinated enough to do them.

                I like the fast pull deadlift idea. What does that train? Explosiveness off the floor?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SpitFire View Post
                  I like the fast pull deadlift idea. What does that train? Explosiveness off the floor?
                  Same as the power clean. Neuromuscular recruitment (to the small extent that it's trainable). The ability to recruit motor units quickly. The thing rows don't address nearly as well.

                  You could even do "clean pulls" which is like a power clean without all the tricky racking/catching the bar on your shoulders parts. It's heresy to say so, but heavy kettlebell swings would be better than rows for this purpose.

                  But if you follow the steps for learning the power clean in the book, one at a time until you really get them down, you can do it. I can help. Take a video of each step (jumping with straight elbows, dropping the bar in a straight line from the rack position, etc) and I'll give you feedback and you can wait to move on until each step is going right.
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Same as the power clean. Neuromuscular recruitment (to the small extent that it's trainable). The ability to recruit motor units quickly. The thing rows don't address nearly as well.

                    You could even do "clean pulls" which is like a power clean without all the tricky racking/catching the bar on your shoulders parts. It's heresy to say so, but heavy kettlebell swings would be better than rows for this purpose.

                    But if you follow the steps for learning the power clean in the book, one at a time until you really get them down, you can do it. I can help. Take a video of each step (jumping with straight elbows, dropping the bar in a straight line from the rack position, etc) and I'll give you feedback and you can wait to move on until each step is going right.
                    That's really nice of you, Rich!


                    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Same as the power clean. Neuromuscular recruitment (to the small extent that it's trainable). The ability to recruit motor units quickly. The thing rows don't address nearly as well.

                      You could even do "clean pulls" which is like a power clean without all the tricky racking/catching the bar on your shoulders parts. It's heresy to say so, but heavy kettlebell swings would be better than rows for this purpose.

                      But if you follow the steps for learning the power clean in the book, one at a time until you really get them down, you can do it. I can help. Take a video of each step (jumping with straight elbows, dropping the bar in a straight line from the rack position, etc) and I'll give you feedback and you can wait to move on until each step is going right.
                      I appreciate that!

                      Comment


                      • So, once in a while post, I've joined a gym so I can lift some heavy shit. I'll post every now and then for progress tracking and hopefully nice words . I'll essentially be converting my BW routine for heavy lifts. Thrice weekly full body routine, 3 main lifts, two different workout plans to alternate. The gym also has boxing apparatus, so I might learn how to box and call it cardio.

                        Motivational vanity thread, here I come!


                        Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
                          So, once in a while post, I've joined a gym so I can lift some heavy shit. I'll post every now and then for progress tracking and hopefully nice words . I'll essentially be converting my BW routine for heavy lifts. Thrice weekly full body routine, 3 main lifts, two different workout plans to alternate. The gym also has boxing apparatus, so I might learn how to box and call it cardio.

                          Motivational vanity thread, here I come!


                          Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                          What main lifts are you doing?


                          Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JimmyDamage View Post
                            What main lifts are you doing?


                            Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                            Workout A: Bench, Weighted pull ups, skwats,
                            Workout B: weighted dips, rows (or maybe more pull ups), deadlifts.






                            Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                            Comment


                            • What is your workout today?

                              Squats and BP supersets today.

                              Squats:
                              135x8,8
                              185x5
                              205x5,5
                              225x5,5,2 (PR for reps. Never been able to get more than 3 at this weight.)

                              Squat routine was ended prematurely by a super-duper, Captain Insaneo, FUCK THE WORLD cramp in my right foot. Holy mother of god did that suck... Took about 10 mins to relax it.

                              BP:
                              135x10,10
                              185x5
                              225x5,5,5,5,5,5 count 'em, that's 6 sets of 5! (PR for reps. Never hit 5 for more than 2 sets previously.)
                              185x10,8

                              A few sets of dips and triceps pushdowns to failure rounded out the day.

                              Not too shabby for an 80lb old woman eh?

                              Comment


                              • First day of barbell based activity went thusly:
                                Bench-2 sets, 8x30kgs/ 2, 8x40
                                Pull ups (bodyweight, couldn't find anything to hang weights off) 2x10, 1x4 (failure)
                                Squats- 5, 4x40

                                Felt good being under a bar, only question is why it took me so long to start!


                                Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X