What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Another story for another thread, but wow, putting women into submarines with men, where you're underwater in tiny quarters for 6-9 months at a time ... insanely stupid.
    Das Boot[y] ?

I agree, another bad idea outta Washington DC.
    Ht: 5'8"
    Wt: 166
    BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
      Another story for another thread, but wow, putting women into submarines with men, where you're underwater in tiny quarters for 6-9 months at a time ... insanely stupid.

Women will cry, "But should we be denied simply because they're attracted to us?! Not fair!"

Should our security be compromised simply because we want to be fair? Not fair!

sigh

Whatever the case, standards should never, ever be lowered to allow women into any branch of anything. Ever.
      Being a former bubblehead, i cant say i disagree with you..

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• I have two friends whose husbands are either captains or XOs of subs; they have enough to worry about whether the father of their children will return home in one piece without having to add to that concern about them living in ultra close quarters with women for 9 months at a time underwater.

But proponents of "men and women are exactly the same" will not be able to hear anything in that concern except "but you want to hold me back waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Question: if a woman can pass all the rigorous mental and physical stuff (which I agree is a big if and I am firmly against such standards being relaxed), would you still have a problem with them being on a sub?

Just curious to hear your opinions on this...

Comment

• I would research the military pregnancy rates in other branches first before coming up with an answer. Navy seeks to combat high rate of unplanned pregnancies - News - Stripes

http://www.rawstory.com/2013/01/stud...e-u-s-average/

"We'll all stay focused on our job" is not working out well.
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-18-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• So would you be OK with single sex subs?

Comment

• Ha! Sure. (Assuming, of course, they were equally well trained in all mental, physical, & psychological regards.) That'll be the day. It'll be right after the day that I see 50% of electrical engineering students are female.

(I majored in electrical engineering; only 10% of the students were female, and the number isn't much higher today. It's simply not what most girls want to do, even when they've been raised, as my oldest daughter has, to see the important, fun, & doability of math & science.)

Comment

• I don't know anything about electrical engineering but I would of thought that anything intellectual would be fairly simple for women to equal men in if they were just encouraged to study it. Physical stuff on the other hand i feel it's not realistic to expect women to be able to compete with men.

Comment

• (I realise this is irrelevant to the thread and I will stop. Was just curious!)

Comment

• Of course women COULD be electrical engineers; the point is that the interest isn't there, and it's usually, these days where so many are STEM-encouraged, innate. My daughter has all the ability to study engineering anyone could ever need; she has all the intellectual tools, but she has no desire to go into a science field. She wants to help people hands-on, directly, just like most women who want to go into teaching, nursing, child care, etc. That's why, even if there *could* be a female-only sub, the chances that there would be enough women willing to undergo the intense training in the fields necessary to (wo)man it are pretty darn low.

I have a friend who commands an above-water Navy ship; he was an EE with me, too, and then had to go on to years of training in mind-numbingly tedious details to be where he is after two decades in the Navy. I, even though I loved EE, could never have done that. I think a lot of times men have much more tolerance for the tedious repetition necessary to master certain fields, and maybe that's why nearly all professional musicians, whether classical or jazz or rock, are male. (piano, flute, violin, viola, cello are about the only instruments with a lot of women) I could have been a professional musician, but again, couldn't stand the hours and hours of (what seemed to me to be) boring practice required. I was only willing to be as good as I could be with maybe an hour a day, and of course, that's not enough.

I'm in a somewhat unique position to be an exception to "traditional" female interests, but at the same time, recognize that those interests are innate in most women - including, to some extent, me. I don't have to claim others are deprived or brainwashed just because they don't want to be deadlifting brass-playing engineers like me. I can recognize that I'm an outlier on the bell curve, which also recognizes that there *is* a bell curve, and most women are under the curve, not at the ends.

Yeah, /digression.

Comment

• Digression but good to hear your thoughts in any case!

Comment

• My chemical engineering undergrad class was 54% women. None of them have served on a submarine. (Nor have any of the men).

And my workout today was 150 KB swings.
                          https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

• Commute 1 hr to train day

BP - 185x3x3

BP Against Double Mini Bands - 155x2x5

DB BP - 65x15x2

Spoto Press - 155x3x3 (Close grip BP to an air pause approx 2" above the chest)

Lat Pulldowns - 135x10x3

Dips - BWx4x12

Plate Twists - 25x3x10

Now that I'm back home, off to my sauna session at the "Spa".
                            Ht: 5'8"
                            Wt: 166
                            BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Did my bench press last night:
                              230 x 3 x 3, 225 x 3 x 2 + 3 sets of 10 chins (no added weight)
                              and my squats tonight:
                              365 x 3 x 3, 350 x 3 x 2 + 1 set of 21 chins & 1 set of 8 chins after 60 seconds rest (no added weight) + some curls. So pump. Much gainzz.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Finished the first week of Smolov base mesocyce (took me 8 days)

Day 1: 4 sets of 9 @240
                                Day 2: 5 sets of 7 @260
                                Day 3: 7 sets of 5 @275
                                Day 4: 10 sets of 3 @295

The first two days were light enough to move through but man... the higher reps REALLY took my wind away. The last several reps I had to get my breathing under control to squat.

Day 3 seemed to be the perfect rep scheme. Five was few enough reps to keep my wind.

Day 4 is programed to follow day 3 back to back. I got crushed by these sets. Really had to take a significant amount of time between sets and even within sets. After each rep I had to hold the barbell for 15-30 seconds in order to complete the set. I'm wondering if the next week that calls for a 20lb jump would be more feasible only 10lbs heavier. Could be just a function of 2 back to back heavy days. Two days of rest and back at it for week two on Friday!

Comment

Working...
                                X