No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to simplify this otherwise I'm likely to quit. What should I eliminate? Or is it all good stuff that just needs to be spread out over a few days? One more thing, I'm not strong (yet)��

Chest & Back
    One Arm DB Row 3x8 45lb
    Stiff Arm DB Pullover 3x8 25lb
    Flat DB Bench Press 3x8 25lb
    Supine Lateral Raises 3x8 12.5lb
    Dips 3x15
    Dumbbell Shrugs 3x8 35lb (3 to 5 Second Hold at top)
    Pendlay Rows 3x8 30lb

Shoulder & Arms
    DB Curls 3x8 20lb
    Bent Over DB Lateral Raises 3x8 12.5lb
    Seated Shoulder Press 3x8 20lb
    DB Lateral Raises 3x8 10lb
    Tricep Pushbacks 3x8 10lb
    Preacher Curls 3x8 15lb

Other
    Machine - Seated Chest Press 3x8 100lb
    Machine - Seated Rows 3x8 100lb
    Machine - Lat Pull Down 3x8 80lb
    Goblet Squats 3x8 25lb
    Plank 2 Minute Hold
    Side Planks 1 Minute Hold Each Side
    Situps 50
    "On a snow covered mountain time stands still and clarity enters the mind"
    "I want to find out what happens if I don't give up"

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidA View Post
      I need to simplify this otherwise I'm likely to quit. What should I eliminate? Or is it all good stuff that just needs to be spread out over a few days? One more thing, I'm not strong (yet)��

Chest & Back
      One Arm DB Row 3x8 45lb
      Dips 3x15
      Pendlay Rows 3x8 30lb

Shoulder & Arms
      DB Curls 3x8 20lb
      Preacher Curls 3x8 15lb

Other
      Goblet Squats 3x8 25lb
      Plank 2 Minute Hold
      Situps 50
      You serious? a hundred sets of different isolation exercises and no legs? Why not pick like 6 exercises to hit the whole body, and get strong? Like, umm, squat, bench, press, deadlift, chin-up, power cleans?...

Anyway, here was my workout today:

Squat: 375 x 5 (PR)
      Dips: +135 x 5 x 3 (PR)
      Deadlift in shoes: 440 x 3 (couldn't hook this set, so I supinated a hand)
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidA View Post
        I need to simplify this otherwise I'm likely to quit. What should I eliminate? Or is it all good stuff that just needs to be spread out over a few days? One more thing, I'm not strong (yet)��

Chest & Back
        One Arm DB Row 3x8 45lb
        Dips 3x15
        Pendlay Rows 3x8 30lb

Shoulder & Arms
        DB Curls 3x8 20lb
        Preacher Curls 3x8 15lb

Other
        Goblet Squats 3x8 25lb
        Plank 2 Minute Hold
        Situps 50
        You forgot leg day.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyDamage View Post
          You forgot leg day.

Every day is leg day!
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Every day is leg day!
            Currently this is my life. After I the finish the first week of the base mesocycle (shooting for Monday) I'll post it. It's already the most difficult lifting I've ever done. For some reason posting it all in one week has become a thing to me.

Comment

• One arm rows SS with bench
              Chins SS with cable crossovers
              Curls SS with tri press downs
              3 sets of each

Dug a 50 foot trench only 6-8 inch deep but half through gravel. Pick ax most the way. wouldn't have considered part of my workout back in the day.....I seem to have gotten soft!

Comment

• 5/3/1 cycle 14 week 2 Workout B (3/3/3 Press/Dead Lift)

Continuing to reduce volume.

5/3/1 programmed exercises (3/3/3+/3/3+):

Overhead press pyramid: 100x3 115x3 130x3 115x3 100x9
                Dead lift 255x3 295x3 325x3

Other

Warm-up/recovery squats 195x5x3
                SLDLs/RDLs 185x10, 225x6 (going much slower and holding at the bottom)
                3 sets of 30x15 Arnold presses between dead lifts
                Dumbbell incline press drop-set super-sets (60x10, 35x10, 25x10)x3 with 3 minutes between super-sets

Comment

• This evening

Speed Bench 90 sec rest - 170x2x3

Seated OHP touch top of head - 105x3x5

Seated DB Military Press - 30x3x12

Close Grip BP - 160x2x5

Pendlay Rows - 105x2x6

Head Supported Rows - 30x4x12

Long Bar Rows Oly Bar w/75x3x12

2 - 20 min Sauna Sessions w/ 10 minute cooling interval

My bench continues to lag. Saw an ortho last week w/fresh Xrays. Weakness is at the infraspinatus/teres minor attachments. Ortho ordered an MRI which I will be scheduling tomorrow with the VA. I was hoping to get cortisone injections to facilitate training prior to the PL meet next month. Probably not going to happen. The VA is at least 30 days out for MRIs, and they won't administer cortisone until tear[s] have been ruled out.
                  Ht: 5'8"
                  Wt: 166
                  BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• This afternoon

DL - Warmed up to 360x2,3,3,2 (RPE 7)

DL Speed 90 Sec - 280x3x3

2" Deficit Deads - 270x4x1

Shrugs - 255x3x12

Standing Weighted Crunches - 65x3x12

Superset :

GHR - BWx4x15

Reverse Hyper - BWx4x15

2 - 20 min Sauna Sessions w/10 Minute Cooling Interval

1st Top Set @ 360x3 (complete w/sound effects) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btx1LJESH6Y

I noticed last week that I'm beginning to make audible noises when I pull above 320. Need to fix that.

This was the first time I pulled at the chi-chi gym where I take my saunas > bumper plates. All tolled (if I count the college athletic center) I have 4 gym memberships going. Including a city sponsored gym that is conveniently located 1 mile from home, this rather expensive gym with the sauna and steam room, and a powerlifting specific gym with an hour commute where I currently train twice a week. I have almost as many gym memberships as I do lifting shoes.

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Nice DLs, Michael. That set of 360x3 went up fast!

I'm going to get a day pass so I can use the sauna at a gym nearby for losing a few pounds of water weight before my meet (3 weeks from today). I wish the gym I went to had a sauna. I'm not dedicated enough to pay for a membership just for that :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                        Nice DLs, Michael. That set of 360x3 went up fast!
                        Thanks, yodiewan. There was a 'personal trainer' working DL with an elderly client just to my right, out of frame in the video clip. I was blasting "Trouble" by Cypress Hill on my blue tooth and didn't realize until I uploaded the clip that it sounds like he could have been coaching me; the timing.

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                        I'm going to get a day pass so I can use the sauna at a gym nearby for losing a few pounds of water weight before my meet (3 weeks from today). I wish the gym I went to had a sauna. I'm not dedicated enough to pay for a membership just for that :-)
                        I never intended to end up with so many memberships (or so many shoes either). The convenient city sponsored gym has been closing intermittently for upgrades, and the sauna gym ("spa") is only 2.5 miles away, so it's kinda convenient as a backup to the city gym. Plus those saunas are really boosting my recovery rate. The college gym is like 30 minutes away, and as an exercise science major I'm required to pony up each semester for the occasional use of the school athletic facilities. Pretty nice gym, but I seldom train there on my own behalf.

Now, the powerlifting gym has a sh*t-ton of strength knowledge under one roof; State, National and World beaters. The equipment is par excellence and includes those strange kilo plates along with real 'merican plates. What the owner saved on wall mirrors, he put into gear. The price is right with 24 hour access (key), and unlike most gyms (Planet Fatness et al) we're actually encouraged to drop the bar from thigh high after the last pull.

About those saunas. After watching this video and reading some literature on the positive effects of dry heat on protein biosynthesis, hypertrophy, and general body composition, I had to give it try. Especially as an elder, I do everything I can to minimize the advancement of age related sarcopenia. I'll let you know how it goes.

Woke up this morning at 160. I need to add a few pounds before my meet mid September. Hopefully some muscle.

Good luck with YOUR competition, yodiwan, your first, right? Keep us posted and get ready to have a lot of fun!

Comment

• Ah, but Rippetoe told the Manliness guide that dropping the bar is for p@ssies.

I need to hit my attic more often. Or maybe it's not as effective since the heat is probably not nearly as dry as a sauna? It's HOT, though, and makes me sweat fast!
                          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                            I need to hit my attic more often. Or maybe it's not as effective since the heat is probably not nearly as dry as a sauna? It's HOT, though, and makes me sweat fast!
                            The minimum recipe calls for 2 - 20 minute sessions @ 170 degrees FAHR, w/a 10 minute cooling interval to achieve a 2x increase in growth hormone production. The max as tested was 2 - 1 hour sessions per day for 7 days, which resulted in a "16-fold increase" in GH. A one hour session would be a little extreme for me, so I'm starting at the bottom.

Ah, but Rippetoe told the Manliness guide that dropping the bar is for p@ssies.
                            Without knowing the context for Rip's remark, he'll have to take the issue up with management at my new gym, and with the multiple gentlemen who pull 700+ for reps.

*It should be noted, that as one of the weakest guys in the gym, I set my last rep on the floor with the dainty grace of a gazelle.

I guess I could counter with "Anybody who has to learn the art of manliness from a website is probably a p@ssy." It's really nice to be back in a lifting environment where people actually make eye contact and communicate. In the 80s when I cut my gym teeth, it was customary to exchange information, knowledge, and encouragement in neighborhood gyms. From what I have observed since I resumed training 2 years ago, people in general were stronger back in the day because they weren't lifting in isolation with earbuds. Try to offer encouragement or positive suggestions today, and often as not you get the stinkeye, then back into the cocoon. Hell, eye contact alone seems to be a presumed come-on.

Enough retrogressive bitching from this old bastid. But, I can't help but think that with more communication, maybe our young men wouldn't have to resort to websites like "The Art of Manliness," to learn how to become what they already are.

"The Art of Manliness," really?

Comment

• Touche, Michael! I quite enjoy reading your posts! Yes, it's pretty pathetic, but I know a number of guys who are fans of the site because they've had virtually zero influences in their lives to teach them how to hunt, lift, defend, etc. - stuff they want to do, but would have to re-invent the wheel from ground zero to do it if they couldn't find online guidance.

I read it because many of my interests line up quite closely, LOL!
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Saturday: squat 200x3, 230x3, 255x5
                                Assist ex. Squat 5x10@135

Sunday: overhead press 100x5, 110x3, 120x6
                                Assist ex. Ohp 5x10@65, tricep extension 3x10@60

Monday: deadlift 215x5, 240x 3, 270x5
                                Assist ex.deadlift 5x10@135

Comment

Working...
                                X