Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bench press: 135x3, 150x3, 170x8

    Assist. Ex. Bench 3x10@135
    Lying tricep extension 3x10@55


    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Michael S View Post
      Close, Eden, 68 (69 in 3 months).

      Yeah, I was an athlete in school and stayed in shape as I aged. As an avid rock climber I lifted weights, high frequency/high volume for 10 years, from like 1983 to 1993. I continued to climb beyond 93, but I stopped lifting. Concurrent with my fitness activities, I worked in concrete construction for over 40 years.

      About four years ago I blew out L4/L5 and L5/S1 while pouring concrete at the age of 64. I owned the business, but I still liked to get physical with the crew. This injury forced my retirement. I spent a year or so recovering and gained a sh*t ton of weight. One day I looked in the mirror and had a 'moment of clarity.' I suddenly knew to my bones, that if I didn't get up and start moving, RIGHT NOW, it was game over. I was 64/65, weighed 174/75 and had lost most of my lean mass. I looked terrible and felt worse. On top of it all, I was so depressed that I had started smoking, cigarettes.

      Long story short, I was able to break inertia and get a handle on it. I started with running, then gravitated back to the weight room. I still consider myself a climber, but powerlifting and getting as strong as possible, is my new obsession.

      And, when rehabilitating my back, I finally met a PT who actually 'gets it'. After our last session she said "Keep lifting. Skwaating and deadlifting (with good form) are probably the best activities you can engage in for your back injury."

      Here's my back in 1986, at the age of 40. To be honest, after a couple years in the gym, it doesn't look that different today. Thank God for long-term muscle memory. It's for real.




      That's the back story (pun not intended). The rest of it, is that I'm a vain mofo, not to mention competitive , who really wants this sh*t, and is willing to put in the work to get it.

      I only wish more seniors would join me.
      OH MY GOD!!
      Oh My God!


      Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

      Comment


      • 5/3/1 cycle 14 week 2 Workout A (3/3/3 Squat/Bench)

        On Monday...

        Continuing to tweak the 5/3/1 programming to get just the right volume. I decided to go with the pyramid program for a while -- same weight for working sets as before -- but less add-on volume than the previous BBB variations. Unfortunately, I failed on both the squat and bench. I had a more intense than usual bike ride the day before, so that may have been a contributing factor. Nevertheless, I've been sensing the need for a reset on the squat, so will drop 20# on the next cycle rather than increase 10# as per plan. I think I can recover on the bench next weeks 5/3/1.

        5/3/1 programmed exercises (3/3/3+/3/3+):
        Squat pyramid 210x3 240x3 270x1/3(fail)
        Bench pyramid 165x3 185x3 210x2/3 (fail) 185x3 165x10

        Other programmed exercises:
        Barbell incline presses 120x8x5

        Other stuff:
        Kroc-rows 50x10 60x10 70x20

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Michael S View Post
          Close, Eden, 68 (69 in 3 months).

          Yeah, I was an athlete in school and stayed in shape as I aged. As an avid rock climber I lifted weights, high frequency/high volume for 10 years, from like 1983 to 1993. I continued to climb beyond 93, but I stopped lifting. Concurrent with my fitness activities, I worked in concrete construction for over 40 years.

          About four years ago I blew out L4/L5 and L5/S1 while pouring concrete at the age of 64. I owned the business, but I still liked to get physical with the crew. This injury forced my retirement. I spent a year or so recovering and gained a sh*t ton of weight. One day I looked in the mirror and had a 'moment of clarity.' I suddenly knew to my bones, that if I didn't get up and start moving, RIGHT NOW, it was game over. I was 64/65, weighed 174/75 and had lost most of my lean mass. I looked terrible and felt worse. On top of it all, I was so depressed that I had started smoking, cigarettes.

          Long story short, I was able to break inertia and get a handle on it. I started with running, then gravitated back to the weight room. I still consider myself a climber, but powerlifting and getting as strong as possible, is my new obsession.

          And, when rehabilitating my back, I finally met a PT who actually 'gets it'. After our last session she said "Keep lifting. Skwaating and deadlifting (with good form) are probably the best activities you can engage in for your back injury."

          Here's my back in 1986, at the age of 40. To be honest, after a couple years in the gym, it doesn't look that different today. Thank God for long-term muscle memory. It's for real.




          That's the back story (pun not intended). The rest of it, is that I'm a vain mofo, not to mention competitive , who really wants this sh*t, and is willing to put in the work to get it.

          I only wish more seniors would join me.
          Inspiration. Keep working brother.



          Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

          Comment


          • Flat out amazing, Michael.

            What would be your advice to others in preventing an injury like yours? Like, did you just have a momentary slip of mind and pick up something heavy in a not-supported-enough way, or something else similar, or something altogether different?

            Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            I don't know, sometimes even Crossfitters can struggle with some of the yoga poses.
            Yep, that's what I mean - the stretching is something most of us need to work on (blessedly, I'm good in that department), but strength is not. I personally LOVE the really hard yoga poses that require tons of balance and flexibility, but can't do any of them right now because the fat literally gets in the way and prevents it. Yeah, bleh. But running through plank-downwarddog-chatarangawhatever over and over again between different other poses (this was for beginners since they just started offering it) just isn't a workout if you already have shoulder-ab-back strength, and that's what we have.
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
              For your back, have you tried traction? Even learning to grok squat/third world squat will put stretch out your spine and allieviate some pressure.
              I 3rd world-it between sets when Back Skwaating. I also Dead Hang xBW, and sometimes with a load.

              Louie Simmons from 'Westside,' suffered two catastrophic spinal injuries as powerlifter. Out of necessity, he invented the Reverse Hyper Machine for rehab, but they're hard to find. A year ago or so, I fashioned one out of lumber in the backyard. Looks kinda Spanish Inquisition-y, but it helped. My new gym has 2 of them!


              Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
              What would be your advice to others in preventing an injury like yours? Like, did you just have a momentary slip of mind and pick up something heavy in a not-supported-enough way, or something else similar, or something altogether different?
              Hey, MamaG. Don't twist the spinal column/torso when lifting heavy objects. That's how my injury occurred, and according to my PT, that's the combination that causes most herniations.
              Age: 70
              Ht: 5'8"
              Wt: 166
              BF: 9%

              Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

              Comment


              • Thanks! So is it more "pick it up, then twist," or "don't even twist once you've picked it up"?

                I'd love to see your contraptions! I find I need to hang upside-down after every heavy deadlift day, to de-compress my spine, or I start getting pain over the next few days. It works like a charm.
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

                Comment


                • I think the rule is don't twist under load. As if when lifting an object off the floor in front of you, and twisting to place it on the floor, or on a table behind you. In my case we each were lifting 4'x4' textured rubber mats weighing about 50 pounds, and flinging them around to place on the freshly poured concrete behind us. Working our way across a pool deck in this fashion.

                  What kind of pain do you experience on the Day of the Dead, and where ?
                  Age: 70
                  Ht: 5'8"
                  Wt: 166
                  BF: 9%

                  Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                    Thanks! So is it more "pick it up, then twist," or "don't even twist once you've picked it up"?

                    I'd love to see your contraptions! I find I need to hang upside-down after every heavy deadlift day, to de-compress my spine, or I start getting pain over the next few days. It works like a charm.
                    The idea is to pick up the lawnmower with the best spinal mechanics possible (your back will be rounded, no way around it), then turn at the feet to put it in the back of the truck. Don't twist your trunk.
                    The Champagne of Beards

                    Comment


                    • Yup, flexion is ok...compression is ok....either of those in conjunction with twisting is not. Face what you are lifting. Hip hinge. Keep it close to your body. Move at the feet. All that good stuff.

                      The whole flexion combined with rotation bit is how many people injure themselves simply getting in and out of their car, and thats without even adding load.

                      Comment


                      • So really, all those "lift with your legs, not your back" things should be "move your feet, not your torso" :P (not really)
                        Depression Lies

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          So really, all those "lift with your legs, not your back" things should be "move your feet, not your torso" :P (not really)
                          But kinda really.
                          The Champagne of Beards

                          Comment


                          • I have not tried working out again since Monday. My little stint with the kettlebells left my recovering wrists in not great shape. They feel almost normal today, which means I can probably workout tomorrow, but I don't think I should be picking up/holding such heavy weights again Lower volume & higher reps sounds boring. Sigh, the things we do for injury recovery.

                            Also my upper-inner thigh (not groin, but maybe 4 inches below that) have been INSANELY sore since my workout. It's weird that it was that particular spot and not the whole length of my inner thigh. I guess I've just been sitting a lot? I finally grimaced through some air squats last night and that helped more than foam rolling had (it's a hard spot to foam roll anyway).
                            Depression Lies

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              So really, all those "lift with your legs, not your back" things should be "move your feet, not your torso" :P (not really)
                              Both/and.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

                              Comment


                              • "Lift both with your legs AND your back. Turn with your feet, not your torso"
                                Depression Lies

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X