What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Solid advice; will do! Thank you! I think part of it could certainly be that my body "knows" it can't do that front squat strongly just yet ... even though I came up out of the 105lb squat clean pretty well.
    http://wilfleming.com/squat-more-lif...c-lift-ratios/

Here's a little article on ratios. I'm not sure if I agree with his stance to squat before Olympic lifting but I've always found the best way to clean more is to squat more. I've also found whatever weight I can front squat x3 I can squat clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• 8/10/15:
      Squat: 350 x 6 x 2, 335 x 6, 280 x 6
      Bench: 215 x 6 x 3, 180 x 6
      Chins: +60 x 9,8, +45 x 8, +25 x 12
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Solid.

Yoga. . Pathetic. An instructor was hired to offer a weekly class at our Crossfit gym. I was very amused at how she expected us to be totally wiped out from the shoulder/ab/plank/etc. work, but since it was just bodyweight stuff, and since these were chicas used to back squatting their bodyweight, yeah ... we didn't even break a sweat.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Solid.

Yoga. . Pathetic. An instructor was hired to offer a weekly class at our Crossfit gym. I was very amused at how she expected us to be totally wiped out from the shoulder/ab/plank/etc. work, but since it was just bodyweight stuff, and since these were chicas used to back squatting their bodyweight, yeah ... we didn't even break a sweat.
          Oops. Embarrassing for her/him. He/she should probably take a Crossfit class first or at least observe.

Comment

• In her defense, most of those same chicas do need some flexibility work! And it does well in that arena. Just the idea that yoga is a "workout" for us did not exactly pan out.
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

In her defense, most of those same chicas do need some flexibility work! And it does well in that arena. Just the idea that yoga is a "workout" for us did not exactly pan out.
              I like dropping into a yoga class on recovery days, but I'd have trouble calling it a workout.

Comment

• Yesterday

Bench - 175x3x3

BP against mini's (speed - 30 sec rest) - 155x5x2

DB Bench - 60x2x15

Spoto Press - 150x3x3

Lat Pulldowns - 130x3x10

Dips - BWx4x10

Plate Twists - 25x3x8

Today

Stationary Bike - 30 min

Sauna - 1-20 min session (Started too late to get 2)
                Ht: 5'8"
                Wt: 166
                BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• I don't know, sometimes even Crossfitters can struggle with some of the yoga poses. I remember when I was still deadlifting 2 plates+ and capable of doing tons of burpees without rest, I tried my first legit advanced yoga class and was really sore the next day. Granted, the chair pose was really easy for me compared to other people in the class, but I couldn't do a side crow or a standing split. In my experience sometimes the stretching + balance + strength all in one pose is pretty difficult for even Crossfit-ready bodies.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• I'll be back in yoga class (Iynengar) when the semester starts on the 24th. Aside from having to avoid poses that require lumbar hyper-extension (lengthwise blocks etc), I'm good to go.

Two semesters of yoga under my belt and I'm anxious to get started on a 3rd.

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S View Post
                      I'll be back in yoga class (Iynengar) when the semester starts on the 24th. Aside from having to avoid poses that require lumbar hyper-extension (lengthwise blocks etc), I'm good to go.

Two semesters of yoga under my belt and I'm anxious to get started on a 3rd.
                      Michael S. I need to ask you questions!

How is it, and excuse me if this offends you, how are you lifting like such a boss at your age?!?! I realize that there are plenty of old guys still into keeping fit and healthy but by 70 rolls around their usually completely covered in chronic injuries and muscular imbalances. How are you still so strong and injury free??

Comment

• Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                        Michael S. I need to ask you questions!

How is it, and excuse me if this offends you, how are you lifting like such a boss at your age?!?! I realize that there are plenty of old guys still into keeping fit and healthy but by 70 rolls around their usually completely covered in chronic injuries and muscular imbalances. How are you still so strong and injury free??
                        I think he's only 63? That's still a young buck. ;-) Plus, from the looks of him, he was probably never out of shape. Keeping it is easier than tryna get it back. And he's a boss, of course. Anyway, I guess I'll let him answer your question. ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                          I think he's only 63? That's still a young buck. ;-) Plus, from the looks of him, he was probably never out of shape. Keeping it is easier than tryna get it back. And he's a boss, of course. Anyway, I guess I'll let him answer your question. ;-)
                          Close, Eden, 68 (69 in 3 months).

Yeah, I was an athlete in school and stayed in shape as I aged. As an avid rock climber I lifted weights, high frequency/high volume for 10 years, from like 1983 to 1993. I continued to climb beyond 93, but I stopped lifting. Concurrent with my fitness activities, I worked in concrete construction for over 40 years.

About four years ago I blew out L4/L5 and L5/S1 while pouring concrete at the age of 64. I owned the business, but I still liked to get physical with the crew. This injury forced my retirement. I spent a year or so recovering and gained a sh*t ton of weight. One day I looked in the mirror and had a 'moment of clarity.' I suddenly knew to my bones, that if I didn't get up and start moving, RIGHT NOW, it was game over. I was 64/65, weighed 174/75 and had lost most of my lean mass. I looked terrible and felt worse. On top of it all, I was so depressed that I had started smoking, cigarettes.

Long story short, I was able to break inertia and get a handle on it. I started with running, then gravitated back to the weight room. I still consider myself a climber, but powerlifting and getting as strong as possible, is my new obsession.

And, when rehabilitating my back, I finally met a PT who actually 'gets it'. After our last session she said "Keep lifting. Skwaating and deadlifting (with good form) are probably the best activities you can engage in for your back injury."

Here's my back in 1986, at the age of 40. To be honest, after a couple years in the gym, it doesn't look that different today. Thank God for long-term muscle memory. It's for real.

That's the back story (pun not intended). The rest of it, is that I'm a vain mofo, not to mention competitive , who really wants this sh*t, and is willing to put in the work to get it.

I only wish more seniors would join me.
                          Last edited by Michael S; 08-12-2015, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Close, Eden, 68 (69 in 3 months).

Yeah, I was an athlete in school and stayed in shape as I aged. As an avid rock climber I lifted weights, high frequency/high volume for 10 years, from like 1983 to 1993. I continued to climb beyond 93, but I stopped lifting. Concurrent with my fitness activities, I worked in concrete construction for over 40 years.

About four years ago I blew out L4/L5 and L5/S1 while pouring concrete at the age of 64. I owned the business, but I still liked to get physical with the crew. This injury forced my retirement. I spent a year or so recovering and gained a sh*t ton of weight. One day I looked in the mirror and had a 'moment of clarity.' I suddenly knew to my bones, that if I didn't get up and start moving, RIGHT NOW, it was game over. I was 64/65, weighed 174/75 and had lost most of my lean mass. I looked terrible and felt worse. On top of it all, I was so depressed that I had started smoking, cigarettes.

Long story short, I was able to break inertia and get a handle on it. I started with running, then gravitated back to the weight room. I still consider myself a climber, but powerlifting and getting as strong as possible, is my new obsession.

And, when rehabilitating my back, I finally met PT that actually 'gets it'. After our last session she said "Keep lifting. Skwaating and deadlifting (with good form) are probably the best activities you can engage in for your back injury."

Here's my back in 1986, at the age 40. To be honest, after a couple years in the gym, it doesn't look that different today. Thank God for long-term muscle memory.

That's the back story (pun not intended). The rest of it is that I'm a vain mofo, not to mention competitive , who really wants this sh*t, and is willing to put in the work to get it.

I really wish more seniors would join me.
                            Wow dude, thats amazing!
                            What I love is that despite a had low back injury your still squatting and dead lifting heavy at 68!!

Hows your back at the moment??

Comment

• Hi, Lockstock. Back be ok most of the time. Now and then I get a little referral in the left buttock. The toes on my left foot have been numb since the original injury. Permanent nerve damage, apparently.

For rolling out the lower lumbar region/SI joint, the lacrosse ball is my new best friend.

Thanks!

ETA: Quite a few strong SOBs in Masters Division powerlifting.

If you youngsters do your best to stay injury free, you'll be putting geezers like me to shame when you're 68.
                              Last edited by Michael S; 08-12-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Hi, Lockstock. Back be ok most of the time. Now and then I get a little referral in the left buttock. The toes on my left foot have been numb since the original injury. Permanent nerve damage, apparently.

For rolling out the lower lumbar region/SI joint, the lacrosse ball is my new best friend.

Thanks!

ETA: Quite a few strong SOBs in Masters Division powerlifting.

If you youngsters do your best to stay injury free, you'll be putting geezers like me to shame when you're 68.
                                Yes injury prevention is just as much a part of training as the training itself.

For your back, have you tried traction? Even learning to grok squat/third world squat will put stretch out your spine and allieviate some pressure.

Thanks for sharing with us your story

Comment

Working...
                                X