No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "new coach' never showed up, didn't call. Looks like he's now the "old coach."

DL - Warmed up to 350x2,3,3,2

DL Speed (90 seconds) - 275x3x3

DL 2 inch deficit - 265x4x1

Shrugs - 255x3x12

Standing weighted crunches - 60x3x12

GHR & Reverse Hyper (superset) body weightx4x12

*lbs/sets/reps

ETA: Video links

Set 2 of 350x3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-cIriPw9s Set up for first rep on this set was way funky. Hadn't pulled over 230 in a month.

2" deficit @ 265 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnJEICvdGSU

First time seeing myself on video. First Youtube uploads.
    Last edited by Michael S; 08-08-2015, 01:54 AM.
    Ht: 5'8"
    Wt: 166
    BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
      I dunno. I know tons of people who seem to like front squats, and say they'd rather do those than back squat. I don't get it. I hate 'em.
      I dont mind them. From an athletic point of view id say they're really useful in that I think it looks and mimics typical athletic endevours. They force you to maintain an upright position and tend to put less strain on the low back so they're great as a kind of postural, rehabilitive exercise.

plus a lot of people like the quad dominant aspect of the lift.

Though I agree its definitely a personal thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S View Post
        The "new coach' never showed up, didn't call. Looks like he's now the "old coach."

DL - Warmed up to 350x2,3,3,2

DL Speed (90 seconds) - 275x3x3

DL 2 inch deficit - 265x4x1

Shrugs - 255x3x12

Standing weighted crunches - 60x3x12

GHR & Reverse Hyper (superset) body weightx4x12

*lbs/sets/reps

ETA: Video links

Set 2 of 350x3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-cIriPw9s Set up for first rep on this set was way funky. Hadn't pulled over 230 in a month.

2" deficit @ 265 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnJEICvdGSU

First time seeing myself on video. First Youtube uploads.
        1) Stupid "coach". Moving on...
        2) congrats on your first YouTube! ;-)
        3) those hands! Ripped and raw. This lifting life, huh? ;-)
        4) the deficit lift looked super easy and super clean! Good work!
        5) I'm not that familiar with conventional dl but it look like you have some rounding in your upper back, like between the shoulder blades but higher. Is that normal? Other than that, they look good to me! Feel good inching back up? CNS feel ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
          id say they're really useful in that I think it looks and mimics typical athletic endevours.
          I'd disagree with that conclusion. Surprisingly, so would Christian Thibaudeau

https://www.t-nation.com/blogs/numbe...aching-mistake
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            I'd disagree with that conclusion. Surprisingly, so would Christian Thibaudeau

https://www.t-nation.com/blogs/numbe...aching-mistake
            Fair enough.
            Though we can both agree that if front squatting means someone is in the gym with a heavy barbell on their bodies its better than not.

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
              1) Stupid "coach". Moving on...
              2) congrats on your first YouTube! ;-)
              3) those hands! Ripped and raw. This lifting life, huh? ;-)
              4) the deficit lift looked super easy and super clean! Good work!
              5) I'm not that familiar with conventional dl but it look like you have some rounding in your upper back, like between the shoulder blades but higher. Is that normal? Other than that, they look good to me! Feel good inching back up? CNS feel ok?
              1) Yeah, he's young. I should have never arranged to meet him on a Friday evening. Nawmean?
              2) Thank god for 18 year old sons.
              3) The equip in this gym is brand new, so is the gym. Texas deadlift bars have knurling like piranha teeth.
              4)Thanks. Not bad, but hips may have risen a fraction early.

5) Yes, I have a bit of thoracic flexion (kyphosis) going on. But, pulling with a rounded upper back is also a technique. On the first rep @ 350, look at the location of my head relative to the ceiling fan light. Notice how I pitch forward as soon as the bar breaks off the platform. Shoulders too far back. Doesn't happen on reps 2/3. Yeah, I got issues, but it really helps having some footage to critique. DA GAINZZZZ!!!, as someone is fond of saying.

Yes, I'm feeling better, but I could use a higher quality of sleep; a perennial issue it seems as I age. Thanks for asking.

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Overhead press 90x3, 105x3, 115x9, 65@3x10, lying tricep extension 45@3x10

Comment

• Carried overpacked boxes of books (>50lb each) for about an hour to set up our homeschool room.
                  5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                  Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                  Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                  Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                  ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                    Carried overpacked boxes of books (>50lb each) for about an hour to set up our homeschool room.
                    MamaG, that's almost equivalent to schlepping 50lb+ Atlas Balls around for 60 minutes, and represents one helluva lot of knowledge too. I've actually injured my back hoisting book boxes from here, to there.

Regional Skwaat Day

Low Bar - Warmed up to 245x3,4,5,3.

Oly Style 2 Sec Pause Skwaatz (elevated heels on 5 lb plates, too lazy to change out of flat soles) - 210x6,6,6.

Hatfield Safety Bar Skwaatz - 285x6,4,2. Programming called for 3 sets of 6 but it wasn't gonna happen. New to these.

Single Leg RDLs - 30x10,10,10.

GHR - BWx12,12,12.

Seated Plate Twists - 45x12,12,12.

Kinda spent!

Tried to upload Skwaat vids, but my 18 year old isn't here to babysit me and I erased everything somehow. Suffice it to say that my sets above 225 in any style, show inconsistencies above the 3 rep range. Now at least I know.

Closed the show with 2 - 20 minutes sauna sessions w/10 minute cooling interval.
                    Last edited by Michael S; 08-09-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• You're killing me! Babysat by your 18 year old, LOL!

"Workout" : swimming and wading in 60-degree river for two hours while "babysitting" the teenagers to make sure none of them drowned. Most didn't stay in for longer than half an hour, but I was there from the first to the last.

It burns some serious calories, even if you're just floating, to be in water that cold. (I can feel my core heating up like a literal internal furnace, and after the first minute of vigorous swimming, usually stay warm the rest of the time I'm in there from the internal furnace, feeling my core rest almost as soon as I get back out into the 90 degree heat & humidity.) I even raced one younger teen in a "who can swim upstream underwater the longest in one breath" race ... beat him, he wanted to race again, that time he went further but I held my breath longer, LOL.

Comment

• 20 mile road bike ride on A1A and environs south of Daytona, FL with my favorite vacation training partner, my son. He took it easy on the old man. So much fun.

Comment

• alternated power cleans with squat cleans, trying to convince myself that I will not, in fact, die if I get under a bar too heavy to power clean. Still didn't work. How do you overcome that? (Y'all are probably too studly every to have had this problem, LOL)

55x3 (power, squat, power)
                          75x3 (power, squat, power)
                          95x3 (power, squat, squat) - no trouble convincing myself to get under the bar so long as I feel strong enough to be able to power clean it as well
                          115 squat - fail
                          105x3 (power, squat, squat)
                          115 squat - fail. need to go read about how to psych myself into not being too scared to get under the bar! The other guys in the gym said I was definitely getting the bar high enough to get under it; I just couldn't make myself get under it.

6 rounds of:
                          8 KB swings (24kg)
                          12 V-sits
                          16 air squats

Comment

• What if you try bailing on a lighter weight? Do you know how to bail safely?
                            Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                              alternated power cleans with squat cleans, trying to convince myself that I will not, in fact, die if I get under a bar too heavy to power clean. Still didn't work. How do you overcome that? (Y'all are probably too studly every to have had this problem, LOL)

55x3 (power, squat, power)
                              75x3 (power, squat, power)
                              95x3 (power, squat, squat) - no trouble convincing myself to get under the bar so long as I feel strong enough to be able to power clean it as well
                              115 squat - fail
                              105x3 (power, squat, squat)
                              115 squat - fail. need to go read about how to psych myself into not being too scared to get under the bar! The other guys in the gym said I was definitely getting the bar high enough to get under it; I just couldn't make myself get under it.

6 rounds of:
                              8 KB swings (24kg)
                              12 V-sits
                              16 air squats
                              Take 105% of the weight you are trying to squat clean and front squat it... Paused in rock bottom. Try and get 3 reps with a 2 second pause in the hole. After that you just need to focus on quick elbows. Even if you fail a few times you will get comfortable with the weight and end up doing it.

Comment

• Solid advice; will do! Thank you! I think part of it could certainly be that my body "knows" it can't do that front squat strongly just yet ... even though I came up out of the 105lb squat clean pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                                X