Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Day

30 minutes stationary bike.

2 - 20 minute dry sauna sessions separated by a 10 minute cooling period.

Been taking saunas religiously as part of my recovery regimen.

The positive effects of heat acclimation on growth hormone production, and muscle growth is pretty amazing. Anyone displaying symptoms of age related sarcopenia should read up and consider.

Are Saunas the Next Big Performance-Enhancing “Drug”?

Ht: 5'8"
    Wt: 166
    BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S View Post
      Whaaa??!!??!!

Eden, this must be yours. It was in the alley behind the Thursday night underground fight club.

[ATTACH]18889[/ATTACH]

I can't see the photo, but I'm so curious! Upload with imgur.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Thanks, Rich, I appreciate the honesty! I know men & women are built different and I really appreciate the info.

Michael S, my recent sauna efforts have involved going into the attic at noon for 10 minutes - totally not kidding, it's a crazy hot dry heat and gets me sweating like mad. I haven't put these two activities back-to-back yet, but I plan to soon - follow the attic sit by jumping in the 55-degree river in my back yard! I think this is something akin to how it's done in Nordic countries, heat then frigid cold. Gotta look it up more. Do keep us posted on how you feel the saunas are helping you.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• FWIW, the 1RM "calculators", which are really just rough estimates and don't take anything like gender, lift type, etc. into account, suggest that someone whose 4RM of a lift is 225 would have a 1RM of 245. Again, I don't consider these particularly accurate and good only to gauge approximations when attempting 1RM lifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
            I can't see the photo, but I'm so curious! Upload with imgur.

"Eden, this must be yours. It was in the alley behind the Thursday night underground fight club."

Last edited by Michael S; 08-04-2015, 01:20 PM.

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S View Post
              "Eden, this must be yours. It was in the alley behind the Thursday night underground fight club."

LOL! I threw that wallet away as it was too bloody. I literally made that bar WEEP blood.

Comment

• 5/3/1 cycle 14 week 1 Workout A (5/3/1 Squat/Bench)

After reading Hotdog's link to the Rippetoe interview about lifting for older folks I decided to reduce the assistance work BBB for the squat and bench. I was coming off a bug, so not all the way there. Had a decent workout and finished in just over an hour.

5/3/1 programmed exercises (5/5/5):
                • Squats 195x5 235x5 255x1
                • Bench 165x5 175x5 200x2

Other programmed exercises:
                • Barbell incline presses 105x10x5

Other stuff:
                • Kroc-rows 50x10 60x10 70x20

Comment

• Today was 1RM for BP & DL.

DL (previous PR 225, did 4)
                  75x6 95x4 160x3 200x1 230x1 (easy)
                  240x1 (reeeaaallllly hard )
                  250x1 - failed. Tried a friend's belt, too, first time ever trying one, still failed.

BP (previous PR 125)
                  40x6 80x5 105x2 120x1 135x1 (failed)
                  130x1 - had to do it 3x! First time the spotter saw me struggling, thought I said "take it," and took it. Was so frustrated I went straight into another one, but grip was too narrow and failed, was so frustrated, and could feel that I could definitely do this lift, that I went straight into another one and hit it.

Comment

• Bench 125x5, 145x5, 165x10

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                      Today was 1RM for BP & DL.

DL (previous PR 225, did 4)
                      75x6 95x4 160x3 200x1 230x1 (easy)
                      240x1 (reeeaaallllly hard )
                      250x1 - failed. Tried a friend's belt, too, first time ever trying one, still failed.

BP (previous PR 125)
                      40x6 80x5 105x2 120x1 135x1 (failed)
                      130x1 - had to do it 3x! First time the spotter saw me struggling, thought I said "take it," and took it. Was so frustrated I went straight into another one, but grip was too narrow and failed, was so frustrated, and could feel that I could definitely do this lift, that I went straight into another one and hit it.
                      Do you pull conventional or sumo? Given how you describe your body, I bet you'd have lots of success with a semi-sumo position. Either way, nice PR!

Bench: yeah, there is almost nothing worse in this world than when someone touches the bar when it's not needed. Really that should be listed under justifiable homicide. Good work keeping at it!!

Comment

• And it would be so easy to go homicidal with a 130lb bar ... I can't kill him, last week the same guy helped me out when I bailed out at the bottom of a squat. He cleaned the bar back up to the rack for me so I didn't have to take half the weights off to put it back on, LOL.

I have never yet done sumo. I've been trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of each, but am interested in your comment: what about my description of my body leads you to think the sumo might be better for me? I value your opinion!

Comment

And it would be so easy to go homicidal with a 130lb bar ... I can't kill him, last week the same guy helped me out when I bailed out at the bottom of a squat. He cleaned the bar back up to the rack for me so I didn't have to take half the weights off to put it back on, LOL.

I have never yet done sumo. I've been trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of each, but am interested in your comment: what about my description of my body leads you to think the sumo might be better for me? I value your opinion!
                          You have great people in your gym. Maybe too great, helping even when not needd haha.

Today, I thought was going to be a dissapointment. Had to train at home instead of the gym. It actually turned into a great session.

Db bench - 2 x 45 seconds....half the weight then and additional rep out set of 45 seconds.
                          Pullups with 8kg's added 2 x 45 seconds .... drop to bodyweight then an additional rep out set of 45 seconds.
                          Flys 2 x 45 seconds .... half the weight then an additional rep out set of 45 seconds.
                          Incline rows 2 x 45 seconds .... half the weight then and additional rep out set of 45 seconds.

Last day of this first cycle (taken from Dave Tate) is on Friday. Another 45 second per set day. Shoulder press and lat raise are going to hurt, but not as much as pushdowns, hamstring curls and calf press (45 seconds of reps/45 seconds full contracted iso hold/45 seconds in full stretch - x3 with no break).

Richard
                          It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

And it would be so easy to go homicidal with a 130lb bar ... I can't kill him, last week the same guy helped me out when I bailed out at the bottom of a squat. He cleaned the bar back up to the rack for me so I didn't have to take half the weights off to put it back on, LOL.

Didn't you say your "sturdy" in the legs and glutes? Sorry, if that was someone else. Typically I think good squatters have gravitated towards sumo. It works your hips more and has less stress on the low back and it shortens the bar path. However, it's really technical to get it right. Our team predominantly pulls modified-sumo (less wide of a stance), so I don't really have too much experience with conventional. The only time I do conventional is when I pick up the bar for RDLs. Just a thought. I know you're hella strong so I imagine you pulling more with the other stance. Just a thought. Check out some videos online if you're interested, or come visit me in CA! ;-)

Comment

LOL! I threw that wallet away as it was too bloody. I literally made that bar WEEP blood.
                              That DL sesh!

Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                              DL day for me: The exercise was 3 reps at 265lbs on the minute for 10 minutes. So starting with a timer at 10 minutes, I pulled 3 times. Then I rested for the remainder of the minute. Then I repeated at 9,8,7,6 minutes and so on. That's 30 total reps. Words cannot adequately describe how difficult that was. I am still reeling. I think coach was a bit nuts when he wrote that crap. Anyway, it's done. And I'm done. Thank God hubby is home for the summer. I took a 2 HOUR nap. ;-) GAINZZZZZSSSSS!!!

WTF!

*MamaGrok, thanks for encouraging my recovery (upthread).

Comment

Didn't you say your "sturdy" in the legs and glutes? Sorry, if that was someone else. Typically I think good squatters have gravitated towards sumo. It works your hips more and has less stress on the low back and it shortens the bar path.
                                I'm "fat" in the legs & glutes. And apparently also strong, but I don't know if I'm any stronger there than elsewhere. Sumo makes a lot of physiological sense, so much so that it makes me wonder why it wasn't the standard first, which makes me then wonder if there's not something I'm missing! I found this on a lifting site: "We all know that if you have long arms and a short torso, you should pull conventional." I have a short torso - very little space between my ribs and pelvis - if that means anything.

I've only been in CA once in my life, many moons ago, but am going there in a few weeks. !

Comment

Working...
                                X