What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael S View Post
    Peaked a few weeks early for a PL meet that I ultimately withdrew from, and fried my CNS in the process. Hit a squat single @ 320 (PR) around June 26, then warmed up to a 410 dead PR on June 30, and it was all down hill from there. The following week, rather than back off to DL triples, or not pull at all, I attempted a single at 415 and missed. Dropped to 405 and missed that too. That's when I knew I was in trouble.

Been coasting for the past 3 weeks, cardio, light sets and speed work, just trying to recover.

Went a little heavier today: LB back skwaatz - 1x10xbar, 1x10x135, 1x5x185, 1x5x205, 1x3x235, 1x3x275, 2x3x300, backed off with one set of 5x225 (2 sec pause).

4 sets of standing calf raises @ 15 reps w/2 sec pause at the top.
    4 sets of ab wheel roll-outs @ 10 reps w/2 sec pause at full ROM.
    Wow. That's tough but not surprising. After a peak competition, we take a number of weeks to climb higher and higher before we hit the big numbers again. In fact, my competition was a month ago and I'm just now approaching 80% max. And up until this week it has felt super heavy!! Anyway, continue to back off and take it easy. You'll get back up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
      Hitting 1RMs today in squat and press. Unfortunately, no PRs, but I met my PRs in both. 165, 85lb, respectively.

It's great reading other people's workouts. It helps with motivation and ideas!
      How often do you check 1RMs? And yes, there are some women here. I mean to post my workouts but then life gets in the way. But I generally read the thread and congratulate/comment as needed. ;-)

DL day for me: The exercise was 3 reps at 265lbs on the minute for 10 minutes. So starting with a timer at 10 minutes, I pulled 3 times. Then I rested for the remainder of the minute. Then I repeated at 9,8,7,6 minutes and so on. That's 30 total reps. Words cannot adequately describe how difficult that was. I am still reeling. I think coach was a bit nuts when he wrote that crap. Anyway, it's done. And I'm done. Thank God hubby is home for the summer. I took a 2 HOUR nap. ;-) GAINZZZZZSSSSS!!!

Comment

• Squat: 8 x 335, 325, 315
        Bench, 200 x 8, 190 x 8 x 3
        Chinups: +115 x 1 (PR), +100 x 3 (PR), +100 x 2, +75 x 6, +50 x 9
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I need to start a n00blifter thread or something, so many question! Like, why do you go *down* in weight with each set, Rich? (Or maybe I should just suck it up and read SS myself instead of trying to osmosis & beg it off of others)

Eden, I haven't done a true 1RM check since I started lifting regularly 4 months ago. I plugged my 5-3-1 best sets into strstd.com (which seems to be down right now?) to guess at a 1RM for my sets yesterday. The squat PR I hit 2 months ago, the press PR was from the last week before my most recent deload week. I used a post at T-nation to create my 1RM warmup sets.

Tomorrow will be DL & BP. Suggestions appreciated!
          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

I need to start a n00blifter thread or something, so many question! Like, why do you go *down* in weight with each set, Rich? (Or maybe I should just suck it up and read SS myself instead of trying to osmosis & beg it off of others)

Eden, I haven't done a true 1RM check since I started lifting regularly 4 months ago. I plugged my 5-3-1 best sets into strstd.com (which seems to be down right now?) to guess at a 1RM for my sets yesterday. The squat PR I hit 2 months ago, the press PR was from the last week before my most recent deload week. I used a post at T-nation to create my 1RM warmup sets.

To your first question, they're called "back-off sets". Once lifters reach a certain point, linear progression is no longer attainable (RM, for example, can squat something like 2.5x BW) and when trying to increase the weight, doing multiple sets just isn't possible. So, one option is to choose a really heavy weight for the first set and then, rather than stop there or allow form to collapse on subsequent sets, the remaining sets are done with less weight (since there's less gas left in the tank).

FWIW, I don't know that questions like this are dealt with so much in Starting Strength, but Rippetoe's other book, Practical Programming (which I don't have yet). It's definitely a more advanced workout technique.

Comment

I need to start a n00blifter thread or something, so many question! Like, why do you go *down* in weight with each set, Rich? (Or maybe I should just suck it up and read SS myself instead of trying to osmosis & beg it off of others)
              Danny's got the point here. At a certain point in a lifter's career, s/he can no longer simply add 5 (or 2.5) lbs to the bar and repeat 3 sets of 5 each session. If this were possible forever, people would be squatting 4 and 5,000 pounds. So variables other than simply the weight on the bar have to be manipulated. A really dedicated novice lifter typically will exhaust the ability to progress in a simple, linear fashion in 3 to 6 months of following "the program."

My current program cycles through 3 rep ranges (8's, 6's, and 3's) and only the first set is for a prescribed, pre-determined increase in weight vs. the previous cycle, while the subsequent sets are performed at a weight decided upon after the difficulty of the first set is assessed. To be honest, I'm capable of squatting 335 x 8 x 3, except for the fact that my previously torn right adductor was acting up after being pushed a bit beyond its comfortable ROM Sunday morning, so I was being conservative and safe. I definitely feel it today, so temperance was indeed the order of the day.

On the bench, 200 x 8 was difficult enough that subsequent sets at that weight were questionable. But 190 turned out to be a little too easy, and I did the last 2 sets each on a single breath. This is a new set-up for me, and I'm still feeling it out/learning. One thing I need to keep in mind is that sometimes set 2 is easier than set 1, especially on bench. 190 was a slightly overly conservative choice. At least one more set at 200, or doing the last 3 at 195 might have been better.

I would be lying if I said there was a rhyme or reason to my chin-up scheme. I just do what's fun. I do consider them a hugely important lift, especially since the sport I train for is grappling-based. But I vacillate between weighted, very weighted, and unweighted chins. Sometimes for reps. Sometimes for time. Have to maintain my interest, I suppose.

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post

1-rep max calculations are pretty unreliable for men, and even moreso for women. Since women tend to have lower rates of neuromuscular efficiency than men do, an e1rm calculation will typically wildly overstate what can actually be lifted for a max single. Women tend to fall far to the left of what I like to playfully refer to as "the grinder-exploder spectrum."
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                DL day for me: The exercise was 3 reps at 265lbs on the minute for 10 minutes. So starting with a timer at 10 minutes, I pulled 3 times. Then I rested for the remainder of the minute. Then I repeated at 9,8,7,6 minutes and so on. That's 30 total reps. Words cannot adequately describe how difficult that was. I am still reeling. I think coach was a bit nuts when he wrote that crap. Anyway, it's done. And I'm done. Thank God hubby is home for the summer. I took a 2 HOUR nap. ;-) GAINZZZZZSSSSS!!!
                Whaaa??!!??!!

Eden, this must be yours. It was in the alley behind the Thursday night underground fight club.

Bad Mofo 1.PNG

Ht: 5'8"
                Wt: 166
                BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Finished day 3 of smolov squats intro week:
                  5x4 - 240
                  3x - 260
                  2x2 - 275
                  1x - 310

3rd strait day of squatting. Lots of volume but thankfully my body seems to be used to it and is responding well. Resting the remainder of the week from heavy back squats and starting base cycle Next week.

Finished day 2 of smolov Jr for bench (still have 2 more days this week)
                  7x5 @ 175, controlled touch n go until last rep where I held paused for a second.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyDamage View Post
                    Finished day 3 of smolov squats intro week:
                    5x4 - 240
                    3x - 260
                    2x2 - 275
                    1x - 310

3rd strait day of squatting. Lots of volume but thankfully my body seems to be used to it and is responding well. Resting the remainder of the week from heavy back squats and starting base cycle Next week.

Finished day 2 of smolov Jr for bench (still have 2 more days this week)
                    7x5 @ 175, controlled touch n go until last rep where I held paused for a second.

You're doing 2 Smolov cycles at the same time?!?
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      God help me yes. The full 13 week(ish) for squats and Jr (might do back to back cycles) for bench.

This might end in catastrophic failure but my body is used to tons of volume.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Yeah efffff that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                          Yeah efffff that.
                          Meh, my bench isn't anything to shake a stick at. After some rest I was able to move through my 7x5 with relative ease. If it gets in the way of squatting down the line I'll back off.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyDamage View Post
                            This might end in catastrophic failure
                            I really don't think there's any "might" about it. Sometimes even the most knowledgeable people can be a bit myopic when it comes to their own programming. I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty of this at times. I respectfully urge you to re-think this.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Thanks, y'all. Really appreciate it. It's timely, too, since I was looking at my estimated 1RM for DL (266) & BP (139) and trying to determine what I should actually shoot for when I test them out tomorrow. I want to do it well, since I don't plan to try for 1RM for a really long time after that.

So my last 5-3-1 on DL, I was supposed to do "at least 1" at 225, but pretty comfortably knocked out 225x4 (and was sure I had at least one more in me). I'm trying to decide (after working up to 220x1 in the warmup) whether to go for 240 or 250 next, given that I really really really want to end up at 250 (to make a DL/BS/OP total of 500) and think I can do it. My DL hasn't hit a real stall yet, unlike back squat & press.

And with BP, my best is 115x8, 120x2, & 125x1 (in successive weeks). I'm not as emotionally attached to this one's result, so I was originally planning to go for 135, but might go for 130. I've had easy gains in BP every time I've tried, with no sign so far of a stall. It's "my" lift, so it seems!

Workout today: yoga. Love/hate: love the strength & balance challenges, hate the cheese.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Thanks, y'all. Really appreciate it. It's timely, too, since I was looking at my estimated 1RM for DL (266) & BP (139) and trying to determine what I should actually shoot for when I test them out tomorrow. I want to do it well, since I don't plan to try for 1RM for a really long time after that.

So my last 5-3-1 on DL, I was supposed to do "at least 1" at 225, but pretty comfortably knocked out 225x4 (and was sure I had at least one more in me). I'm trying to decide (after working up to 220x1 in the warmup) whether to go for 240 or 250 next, given that I really really really want to end up at 250 (to make a DL/BS/OP total of 500) and think I can do it. My DL hasn't hit a real stall yet, unlike back squat & press.

And with BP, my best is 115x8, 120x2, & 125x1 (in successive weeks). I'm not as emotionally attached to this one's result, so I was originally planning to go for 135, but might go for 130. I've had easy gains in BP every time I've tried, with no sign so far of a stall. It's "my" lift, so it seems!

Workout today: yoga. Love/hate: love the strength & balance challenges, hate the cheese.
                                Bad news. It wouldn't be particularly atypical for a woman who can deadlift 225 x 4 to manage 2 or 3 at 230 and fail to lock out a single rep at 235. Again, there's individual variability. But the only way to find out for yourself is to try. Good luck and let us know in the PR thread.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X