Comment

• One arm rows 3x 85's x 8
      Bench 3x 135x 15
      Weighted Chins 3x45x8
      Cable Crossovers 3x15
      Bro Curls 2x35sx12
      Tri Press 2xwhatever it wasx12

Comment

• 40 mile solo loop on the road bike. Rare cool August morning. Nice.

Comment

• Deadlifts 185x5, 215x5, 240x10

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Hitting 1RMs today in squat and press. Unfortunately, no PRs, but I met my PRs in both. 165, 85lb, respectively.

It's great reading other people's workouts. It helps with motivation and ideas!
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Squats: 4@315, 2x5@300
              Press: 2x5@115, 4@115
              Chins

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                Hitting 1RMs today in squat and press. Unfortunately, no PRs, but I met my PRs in both. 165, 85lb, respectively.

It's great reading other people's workouts. It helps with motivation and ideas!
                Nice! Closing in on squatting your bodyweight! Took me a lot more time under the bar (and I wasn't going in trying to balance strength gains and weight loss) till I hit that number!

Comment

• Thanks! I'm still not sure whether it would be easier to squat my bodyweight if my bodyweight was more reasonable. I don't really believe that I'd suddenly be a wuss if I was missing 45lb of squishy fat, LOL!

Comment

• Actually, that was exactly my point. You're coming into it with the disadvantage of excessive fat, making it that much harder to accomplish and therefore that much more of an achievement.

Comment

• Gotcha! I like your perspective better .... I'm tired of weight charts implying that the main reason I lift so much is a bunch of body fat, LOL. Like this one: Deadlift Standards

Comment

• I think there are two pieces to the "people with more fat are stronger" theory, both of which are often overlooked/misinterpreted. First, regardless of body comp, those who weigh more are carting more around, so will be stronger. When you stand up, you lift more than if you weighed less (that being the collective "you"), regardless of whether that "more" is fat or muscle. Second, at a certain point, those who are eating more to continue getting stronger will start putting on more fat because they will be eating above maintenance. It's one reason I would rather stop gaining strength tomorrow than increase my caloric intake and add fat.

So, there's the "the more you weigh, the stronger you'll have to be" (assuming at least some activity) and the "the more you gain, the more fat you'll end up with" issues, neither of which really dictates that one who sheds fat must shed strength. The only thing I can see causing strength loss during a cut is cutting in such a way that burns off too much muscle as well.

Comment

• I agree with both those things. What I can't wrap my brain around is the idea that all the mush on my thighs is somehow making my shoulder press stronger. I mean, I'm not walking around on my hands, LOL!

Some claim that extra padding causes more proprioceptive feedback, allowing the shoulder to think it's more stable, so the muscle lets you do more, but that only goes so far, because most of the weight that's throwing me into a higher weight class is *not* on my shoulders (or chest for the bench press); it's disproportionately in the lower body.

Comment

• The other thing to consider is that charts like that may not be taking different body types into account. In other words two people with the same weight and different body fat percentages likely lift different amounts. Again, according to that chart, I'm guessing you lift at a higher level than most people with ~30% BF; if you drop to your target weight without losing much strength you go from being just over the intermediate line right on into advanced territory for squats and within spitting distance of elite for DL.
                            Last edited by DannyP; 08-03-2015, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Peaked a few weeks early for a PL meet that I ultimately withdrew from, and fried my CNS in the process. Hit a squat single @ 320 (PR) around June 26, then warmed up to a 410 dead PR on June 30, and it was all down hill from there. The following week, rather than back off to DL triples, or not pull at all, I attempted a single at 415 and missed. Dropped to 405 and missed that too. That's when I knew I was in trouble.

Been coasting for the past 3 weeks, cardio, light sets and speed work, just trying to recover.

Went a little heavier today: LB back skwaatz - 1x10xbar, 1x10x135, 1x5x185, 1x5x205, 1x3x235, 1x3x275, 2x3x300, backed off with one set of 5x225 (2 sec pause).

4 sets of standing calf raises @ 15 reps w/2 sec pause at the top.
                              4 sets of ab wheel roll-outs @ 10 reps w/2 sec pause at full ROM.
                              Ht: 5'8"
                              Wt: 166
                              BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• That's very much along the lines of what I'm thinking, too, DannyP!

Hope for fast recovery, Michael S!

For those who have barbells at home, what size bar did you get?

Comment

Working...
                                X