No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, when I first started doing DLs, a couple of months ago, I was just doing them based on what I remember seeing other people do in the past. I was using alternate grip. Then I read Starting Strength and have been using double overhand grip exclusively since then.

I'm still kinda feeling out what I can do with deadlifts. Alternate grip definitely allows for more weight. However, I have a badly dessicated lumbar disc, that used to bother me a lot, but doesn't so much anymore. At any rate, I'm not trying to set any records with deadlifts. I'm just doing them for the functional strength benefit and I have to always be conscious of my form and how my back is feeling. Same is true when I do squats for that matter.

As I get more comfortable with them, I may start using some alternate grip to push into the next level.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmpte View Post
      Yeah, when I first started doing DLs, a couple of months ago, I was just doing them based on what I remember seeing other people do in the past. I was using alternate grip. Then I read Starting Strength and have been using double overhand grip exclusively since then.

I'm still kinda feeling out what I can do with deadlifts. Alternate grip definitely allows for more weight. However, I have a badly dessicated lumbar disc, that used to bother me a lot, but doesn't so much anymore. At any rate, I'm not trying to set any records with deadlifts. I'm just doing them for the functional strength benefit and I have to always be conscious of my form and how my back is feeling. Same is true when I do squats for that matter.

As I get more comfortable with them, I may start using some alternate grip to push into the next level.
      Okay, I'm glad your annular disc isn't bothering you. But Starting Strength strongly encourages becoming stronger than a double-overhand non-hooked grip allows. If you're worried about side-to-side sway with the alternating grip as the weight moves up, just use the hook grip (aka medieval thumbscrew torture method grip) or straps ONLY on the sets that you can't grip without.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I will keep that in mind. I don't really plan on trying to pursue my absolute highest 1RM, on DLs or any other lift at this point. I used Starting Strength to help me refine my technique and ensure proper, effective and safe form. But I'm not following the book's programs or trying to accomplish any of Rippetoe's goals.

With the back problems I've had in the past, I'm just ecstatic that I can even DO squats and deadlifts at all. And for now at least, that's enough for me. Not to say that I won't try to progress. But, gaining strength perpetually without a ceiling is just not a goal for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmpte View Post
          I will keep that in mind. I don't really plan on trying to pursue my absolute highest 1RM, on DLs or any other lift at this point. I used Starting Strength to help me refine my technique and ensure proper, effective and safe form. But I'm not following the book's programs or trying to accomplish any of Rippetoe's goals.

With the back problems I've had in the past, I'm just ecstatic that I can even DO squats and deadlifts at all. And for now at least, that's enough for me. Not to say that I won't try to progress. But, gaining strength perpetually without a ceiling is just not a goal for me.
          Fair enough. Just glad you're squatting and deadlifting.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I've been a weight-lifter, on some level, most of my adult life. But I never understood the importance of these lifts until I read the Primal Blueprint Fitness and Starting Strength. They will now be part of my regimen as long as I can still perform them effective and safely.

Thanks for the advice and pointers. I'm always on the lookout for learning opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              Nice work, that's right around my limit for no-hook double-overhand grip as well.
              Thanks... Yeah my genetics graced my with "short" fingers, so a hook grip will be difficult... Not impossible though... Not averse to an alternating grip.. But i think i am gonna ride the double overhand until the wheels fall off of that bus..

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                Worked with a personal trainer on my deadlift form. Hit a PR @315. Double overhand grip, no straps.

That's some strong work there, Doc!
                In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                  Thanks... Yeah my genetics graced my with "short" fingers, so a hook grip will be difficult... Not impossible though... Not averse to an alternating grip.. But i think i am gonna ride the double overhand until the wheels fall off of that bus..

Oh that explains a lot to why I've been struggling with the hook grip. My hand hurts a lot with the strain when I use it. My hand is so small that I can barely reach an octave on the piano

If hook grip is not an option is a regular grip on everything ok? I find that alternate grip f's up my shoulder that is facing outwards.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                    That's some strong work there, Doc!
                    Thanks.... 400 is right around the corner! yee haw..

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      If hook grip is not an option is a regular grip on everything ok?
                      Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        Oh that explains a lot to why I've been struggling with the hook grip. My hand hurts a lot with the strain when I use it. My hand is so small that I can barely reach an octave on the piano

If hook grip is not an option is a regular grip on everything ok? I find that alternate grip f's up my shoulder that is facing outwards.
                        If you want to become as strong as you can become, straps might be your only option. If alternating messes up your shoulder and hook doesn't work for you. Don't let hand size/strength limit your back strength, but don't let straps become a crutch (use them only on sets where you really need to). That's my nickel's worth of free advice.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• For what it's worth, I have short fingers (sucks because I play guitar), and I hook grip successfully. I have to hook grip anything over ~335 or so, but I pull 450+ in hook.

The key for me is to not try to grab the bar with my whole hand--when I hook grip the bar is about where my fingers connect to my palm, if that makes sense.

I keep thinking about doing alternate grip, especially as my first meet approaches, but for me I just don't think it's worth it. I have hypermobile elbows, so I'm concerned about strain on the bicep tendon, and it's always just felt too unbalanced to me.

Comment

• Thanks for all the comments! Really appreciate you guys' help.

Edit: typo
                            Last edited by sakura_girl; 06-09-2015, 04:01 PM.
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Squat 3x5 @ 225
                              OHP 3x5 @ 105
                              Deadlift 1x5 @ 240

Comment

• BBS - Day 3 of 3-way split: Shoulder Flies, Biceps Curls, Overhead Presses, Triceps push-downs, Knee tucks

TWT = 9m 30s
                                “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                                X