• Show
Clear All

• Press: 165 x 4, 155 x 4 x 2, 145 x 4, 6
    Dips: 125 (added) x 5 x 3
    Curls: 95 x 5, 5, 8
    BW: 157.8 this am
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• 5/3/1 cycle 10, week 4 (Dw-load Press/Deadlift)

5/3/1 programmed exercises (5/3/31:

• Overhead press 95x3 110x3 125x3
      • Dead lift 235x3 270x3 315x3

Other

• Warm-up/recovery squats 155x5x3
      • RDLs as part of dead lift warm-ups
      • Chin-ups
      • Dumbbell incline press drop-sets

Comment

• Squat: 355 x 4,3,4 (not my best effort, was definitely fatigued from the upper body stuff yesterday, won't split them up any more)
        Snatch-grip deadlift: 375 x 3 (new 1, 2, 3-rep PR)
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I'm told that the official Crossfit injury rate is up around 75%. I believe this because I injured my shoulder at Crossfit from those stoopid overhead American kettlebell swings. I have since learned to do them properly using the RKC style, only shoulder high. My WOD today will be 20 lbs on the minute for 25 minutes, 500 RKC KBS.

Wanderin Jack

Comment

• BBS Day 2 - Deadlifts, Leg Presses, Hamstring Curls, Calf Presses, Machine Crunches
            TWT = 9m 45s
            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• 4/27/15: 154.6 bodyweights.

Squat: 395 x 1 (5 lbs short of PR, but a post-adductor tear PR and a really good sign that I'm on track for 405 or maybe more at the upcoming meet!), 375 x 2, 355 x 2
              Bench: 250 x 1, 250 x 1, 245 x 1 paused, 235 x 2, 225 x 4
              Deadlift (all x 1): 480, 480, 460, 460, 440
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Rich, when's your next meet?
                In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                  Rich, when's your next meet?
                  May 16th. RPS Jersey Rumble, in scenic Newark, New Jersey. A whippy deadlift bar and lots of ammonia should make for some PR's. Not sure if 1200's in reach, but that's what I've got my eyes set on.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Might as well shoot for 1200. You don't look far off. Good luck!

I might do one this summer, just for the experience.
                    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Thanks, man. 1200 would require 3 meet PR's, and it's definitely a reach goal, but if the next few weeks go really well and I am diligent about my training, eating, and sleeping (only have another 3 lbs or so I want to lose before I cut the last few in water weight), I don't think it's out of the question. 1185 would still make me very happy, because that's the "Elite" total defined by RPS, and would disqualify me from the amateur division (I'd either have to pay for a drug test every time I compete there as an "elite amateur" or compete in the untested "pro" division and be saddled with the stigma of being a suspected cheater, which I'm not willing to do).

You should definitely do a meet. For one thing, you'll really enjoy the experience (at least the fun parts, which are admittedly sandwiched between long bouts of boredom), and for another, the meet prep experience and training cycle will benefit your training in a huge number of ways. You're certainly strong enough to put up respectable lifts, but you should go in with the goal of doing the best you can, setting a PR or 3, and 0 regard for the competition, except if there's someone who lifts similar numbers that you can have a competitive but friendly exchange with if you're the kind of person who gets amped up by that sort of thing (I am, lots of people are not).
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Thanks, man. 1200 would require 3 meet PR's, and it's definitely a reach goal, but if the next few weeks go really well and I am diligent about my training, eating, and sleeping (only have another 3 lbs or so I want to lose before I cut the last few in water weight), I don't think it's out of the question. 1185 would still make me very happy, because that's the "Elite" total defined by RPS, and would disqualify me from the amateur division (I'd either have to pay for a drug test every time I compete there as an "elite amateur" or compete in the untested "pro" division and be saddled with the stigma of being a suspected cheater, which I'm not willing to do).
                        So strong, they make you take drug tests, haha. That sounds like a good strength standard to reach.

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        You should definitely do a meet. For one thing, you'll really enjoy the experience (at least the fun parts, which are admittedly sandwiched between long bouts of boredom), and for another, the meet prep experience and training cycle will benefit your training in a huge number of ways. You're certainly strong enough to put up respectable lifts, but you should go in with the goal of doing the best you can, setting a PR or 3, and 0 regard for the competition, except if there's someone who lifts similar numbers that you can have a competitive but friendly exchange with if you're the kind of person who gets amped up by that sort of thing (I am, lots of people are not).
                        Yeah, my lifts won't be setting the world on fire, but you and edenn and Michael have made them sound fun. And it'd be nice to have my numbers be "official" and not just done in the gym.

Comment

• I signed up for a powerlifting meet in late July. Programming the next 12 weeks right now. I don't know how to prepare for a meet (or...ANYTHING, really), but I'm gonna do it for fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                            I signed up for a powerlifting meet in late July. Programming the next 12 weeks right now. I don't know how to prepare for a meet (or...ANYTHING, really), but I'm gonna do it for fun.
                            Defying Gravity, by Mr. Bill Starr (recently deceased, unfortunately) is the definitive text on the subject. It's available for a reasonable price from the store at the Starting Strength website.

In the meantime, are you cutting any weight? How's your programming been?
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              Defying Gravity, by Mr. Bill Starr (recently deceased, unfortunately) is the definitive text on the subject. It's available for a reasonable price from the store at the Starting Strength website.

In the meantime, are you cutting any weight? How's your programming been?
                              Programming has been decent. Coming back from my stupid lat injury slowly. Pulled 455 last week when I tested out pushing deadlift to see how it felt. Haven't started adding weight to pullups yet, but should be able to soon.

I'm kind of doing 8/6/3 for squats and bench, but I tweaked some things around. Recently added in some front squat work for assistance, was only benching one day a week while I focused on increasing OHP, blah blah. I think I have a decent plan for the next couple months, dialing back on some of the nutty assistance work and focusing on the main lifts.

I weigh 164-167 whenever I think to check, so I guess I'll need to drop a couple pounds?

I think it's realistic for me to do something like 465/365/275 if things go really well. Not any kind of world-class numbers or anything, but I shouldn't get laughed at. I'm gonna be the dude having fun and not knowing how anything works. Should be a good time!

I was in Rippetoe's hometown last week, but didn't even have time to stop in, never mind train there. Probably be back in a month or two.

Comment

• I'd make sure you taper down the reps and up the weights as you approach the meet. Right now, you're laying foundation, aka accumulation. Then you want to maybe work triples across or thereabouts, which is like the framing of the house, aka transmutation. Then you gotta put up some drywall and siding. Heavy doubles and even singles, aka realization.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X