• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat 315 x 8 x 4
    Bench 225 x 6 x 4
    Chins 76 in 7 minutes
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• 10 x 3 Squats, worked up to a challenging but easy (ass to grass with good speed) 275.

Fun fun metcon today

5 min AMRAP (77 reps)
      10 Wall ball shots, 5 burpees
      1 min Break
      5 min AMRAP (122 reps)
      10 Hang (Squat) Snatches, 75lb
      30 Dubleunders

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        Feeling very unmotivated. I can't grip anything remotely heavy due to bilateral tendonitis and developed carpal tunnel syndrome in left wrist (though now I feel it in my right more).

Air squats it is, then.

*whine whine whine*
        Weighted vest with squats? Sorry, girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Squattin like a G today!
          75,95,135,165,185,205,215/5
          Pyramid split
          225/6
          230/6
          235/6
          240/6

Some RDLs and other crap too. Legs are....DONE!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 8 week 3 (5/3/1 Workout A (Squat/Bench)

This is the first week to do the Boring but Big (BBB) variation for the squats and bench press and really liked it. I'm learning to squat properly. On my BBB 10 rep sets I was feeling the stretch and bounce from the bottom like never before. I'm hoping the shear volume of BBB will force me to nail proper form and muscle activation.

I ran out of time and so skipped out on the dumbbell incline drop sets. I think I may just skip out on them completely on 5/3/1 week now that I am doing an additional 5x10 reps on the bench.

5/3/1 programmed exercises (5/3/1 week):

Squats 5x180# 3x200# 3x225# 10x1145# 4x10x140#
            Bench 5x150# 3x170# 3x190# 5x10x120#

Other programmed exercises (5/5/5 week):
            Hammer rows - 5x180 5x205# 5x230#

Comment

• Bench press.
              Hammer curls.
              Deadlift.
              Manmakers (2 DBs in hand, goto pushup position, row left, pushup, row right, jump to feet, clean and press, repeat)
              neck harness.

I loved it when a dude I talk to at the gym walked past when I doing the manmakers and goes loudly 'you're a fucking machine'. Definately helped me complete the set of 25.

Comment

• Squat: 280lbs 5,5,2
                *second set took the life out of me
                Bench: 165lbs 4,4,5
                Power Clean: 95 x 3 x 5
                *just started them
                Neutral Grip Pull-ups BW x 12 x 3

Overall good work out. Squats killed me, my first failed attempt since switching to low bar months ago.

Was wondering guys should I try to hit it next workout or add a light day tomorrow , than take a crack at it Sat?

Comment

• Originally posted by rjwashington421 View Post
                  Squat: 280lbs 5,5,2
                  *second set took the life out of me
                  Bench: 165lbs 4,4,5
                  Power Clean: 95 x 3 x 5
                  *just started them
                  Neutral Grip Pull-ups BW x 12 x 3

Overall good work out. Squats killed me, my first failed attempt since switching to low bar months ago.

Was wondering guys should I try to hit it next workout or add a light day tomorrow , than take a crack at it Sat?
                  5,5,2 indicates that you're not resting long enough between sets. You're probably ready for a mid-week light day, so do that, but set a clock for 10 minutes between sets next time and you'll get all 3 of them done.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    5,5,2 indicates that you're not resting long enough between sets. You're probably ready for a mid-week light day, so do that, but set a clock for 10 minutes between sets next time and you'll get all 3 of them done.
                    Okay cool. I wasn't sure if I should transition to the mid week light day without going through a full stall and reset first.

I usually rest 5 mins between sets. If I start to feel like I did after set 2 again will most definitely rest 10 mins. I thought too much rest would throw me off.

Comment

• What percentage of your ATP stores are replenished after 5 minutes? 80%? Wait 8 minutes at least next time. Between sets 1/2 and between 2/3. Get it done.

But yeah, you're at the point where light day is probably not a bad idea. It's easier to not get stuck than to get unstuck. Add light day now.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

What percentage of your ATP stores are replenished after 5 minutes? 80%? Wait 8 minutes at least next time. Between sets 1/2 and between 2/3. Get it done.

But yeah, you're at the point where light day is probably not a bad idea. It's easier to not get stuck than to get unstuck. Add light day now.
                        It is great info like this from RM and others than have me religiously following this thread.

I've been stretching out my rest from 3-6 minutes as I increase the weight in my 5/3/1 cycles. Sounds like I need to wait 8 minutes before doing that last killer set. How much additional benefit do I get by increasing from 5-8 minutes on lighter 5/5/5 weeks or even between 5/3 sets on 5/3/1 week?

Comment

• Originally posted by miata View Post
                          It is great info like this from RM and others than have me religiously following this thread.

I've been stretching out my rest from 3-6 minutes as I increase the weight in my 5/3/1 cycles. Sounds like I need to wait 8 minutes before doing that last killer set. How much additional benefit do I get by increasing from 5-8 minutes on lighter 5/5/5 weeks or even between 5/3 sets on 5/3/1 week?
                          Well, 5/3/1 uses pretty submaximal sets for the first 2 "work" sets, so it's a question of how much ATP is actually depleted. To just throw numbers out there, I'd probable do set 1, then rest for 4 minutes, then set 2, then rest for at least 6.

I re-looked up the numbers, and 5 minutes gets you closer to 95% ATP, but you need all of it to grind through sets across. Since 5/3/1 isn't programming sets across, and nobody's done such a specific study, I reserve the right to be proved totally wrong. But something along those lines has seemed to work well for me when I've run 5/3/1.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Well, 5/3/1 uses pretty submaximal sets for the first 2 "work" sets, so it's a question of how much ATP is actually depleted. To just throw numbers out there, I'd probable do set 1, then rest for 4 minutes, then set 2, then rest for at least 6.

I re-looked up the numbers, and 5 minutes gets you closer to 95% ATP, but you need all of it to grind through sets across. Since 5/3/1 isn't programming sets across, and nobody's done such a specific study, I reserve the right to be proved totally wrong. But something along those lines has seemed to work well for me when I've run 5/3/1.
                            Thanks. I was intuitively converging on those kinds of variable rest periods, but now I know I'm on the right track. For the dead lift I've pretty much standardized on 7-8 minutes before the last set on either the 3/3/3 or 5/3/1 cycles. That one seems to really drain me on the second set.
                            Last edited by miata; 02-18-2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

What percentage of your ATP stores are replenished after 5 minutes? 80%? Wait 8 minutes at least next time. Between sets 1/2 and between 2/3. Get it done.

Would you add 5lbs after a 5,5,2 or is that considered a fail and you have to retry? I'm referring to the squat attempt following the light day.

Comment

• Squats: 435# 4x4
                                Leg press: 14 plates/side, 3x10
                                Leg extensions: 175# 3x10
                                Leg press: 8 plates/side, 1x40 (20 reps to start then sets of five with 10 seconds rest)
                                45 degree calf press: 8 plates/ side, 3x12
                                Seated calf raise: 135# 1x30

Comment

Working...
                                X