Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by rjwashington421 View Post
    I just can't seem to get comfortable squatting with low bar. I had to drop the weight like 60lbs. Should I continue to progress smoothly as is or start from scratch (SMH) with low-bar?
    If you have to take 60 lbs off the bar to do the version that involves more muscle mass, you need to see a coach, because something's very off.
    The Champagne of Beards

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      If you have to take 60 lbs off the bar to do the version that involves more muscle mass, you need to see a coach, because something's very off.
      Had nothing to do with strength It was more so comfortability and inexperience with the different technique.

      By the way a powerlifter who squats around 550lbs at my gym coached me and told me I looked more comfortable with the bar on my traps and my ass to grass.

      But low barring is king so i guess it's time to start over.


      "You miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        "In contrast, let’s try to think our way through this material, at least to the point at which boredom limits our attention span (you may already be there)."

        Nobody told me this guy had a sense of humor!
        Depression Lies

        Comment


        • What is your workout today?

          Today's workout:

          -10 mins walking n stretching
          - LOW BAR Squats:
          235lbs x 2, 225lbs x 3,3,3,4,4
          - OHP :
          95lbs x 3 x 5
          - Power Cleans ( my sorry ass version )
          65lbs x 5 x 5
          - Weighted Chins:
          BW + 10lbs x 3 x 6
          Last edited by rjwashington421; 01-07-2015, 05:49 PM.

          Comment


          • Squats: 315 x 5 x 3
            Press: 145 x 5, 5, 7
            Deadlift: 435 x 5

            That was plenty. Skipped the CITSR's.
            The Champagne of Beards

            Comment


            • Yesterday was a repeat/variation on Tuesday's.

              20 reps of kettlebell deadlift (20 lbs)
              20 reps of kettlebell swing
              20 reps of kettlebell goblet squat
              20 reps of kettlebell swing
              20 reps of kettlebell deadlift

              Strength
              12-12-12 reps of:
              back squat [ @ 75% of Tuesday's weight, so I did 37lbs]
              12-12-12 reps of:
              deadlift [ @ 75% of Tuesday's weight, so I did 63lbs]

              WOD: A couple Tabatas
              8 rounds of:
              sprinter sit-up for 20 sec
              rest for 10 sec
              Then:
              rest for 1 min
              Then:
              8 rounds of:
              tuck jump for 20 sec
              rest for 10 sec
              Depression Lies

              Comment


              • Squat Low Bar:
                230x3x5

                Bench Press Paused:
                155x3x5

                Dead-Lift:
                285x1x5

                Dips: 2xBWx12

                A couple sets of BB curls in the squat rack!!!!!!! Just kidding 😄

                ** note : is it normal to have read delt and some wrist pain switching over to low bad squats ? I must say I feel I'm going deeper and have more power at the bottom my wrist and delts just feel crazy right now.


                "One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards they usually have all the advice and none of the experience."
                -Jim Wendler

                Comment


                • Originally posted by rjwashington421 View Post
                  ** note : is it normal to have read delt and some wrist pain switching over to low bad squats ? I must say I feel I'm going deeper and have more power at the bottom my wrist and delts just feel crazy right now.
                  Your rear delt where the bar rests? maybe. If your wrist hurts, you're likely gripping the bar incorrectly. I believe this is covered in this here video:

                  Starting Strength: Video
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • Easy pace 11.7 km run through Pacific Northwest forest trails. 6 x 100m strides to finish.

                    Run Profile | Easy, 6 strides near Vancouver | Times and Records | Strava

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Your rear delt where the bar rests? maybe. If your wrist hurts, you're likely gripping the bar incorrectly. I believe this is covered in this here video:

                      Starting Strength: Video
                      Great video dude. I believe I had my grip too wide and the bar a little bit too low. I think the problem is my rear delt isn't as developed I would like add to that my grip being too wide.

                      Anything I can do to develop my rear delts or just keep doing the program ?


                      "One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards they usually have all the advice and none of the experience."
                      -Jim Wendler

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rjwashington421 View Post
                        Great video dude. I believe I had my grip too wide and the bar a little bit too low. I think the problem is my rear delt isn't as developed I would like add to that my grip being too wide.

                        Anything I can do to develop my rear delts or just keep doing the program ?
                        Keep doing the program. You should feel a shelf at the bottom of your traps for the bar to rest on, if you get your elbows up and your hands as close together as your flexibility permits (with straight wrists. STRAIGHT wrists). Should help.
                        The Champagne of Beards

                        Comment


                        • rj, I agree with Rich on this. Rear delt size shouldn't be a limiting factor, if the bar is in the right spot and your back is tight. And make straight wrists a big priority. Just from browsing the SS forum over time, the most common injury I've seen from beginners squatting low bar isn't anything back or knee related. It's pain in the wrists or elbows from letting them handle part of the load, instead of letting the back handle all of it.
                          In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

                          This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                            from browsing the SS forum over time, the most common injury I've seen from beginners squatting low bar isn't anything back or knee related. It's pain in the wrists or elbows from letting them handle part of the load, instead of letting the back handle all of it.
                            That's a really good point, J-man.
                            The Champagne of Beards

                            Comment


                            • Yeah, it just seems like there are a lot of threads and logs where a novice mentioned that happening. Heck, it happened to me as well. It's usually only a short-term annoyance though, so that's good.
                              In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

                              This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                                Yeah, it just seems like there are a lot of threads and logs where a novice mentioned that happening. Heck, it happened to me as well. It's usually only a short-term annoyance though, so that's good.
                                I've battled through some decent elbow tendinosis due to poor grip mechanics while squatting myself.
                                The Champagne of Beards

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X