Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Strong work, RM! My 315 max reps are probably like 3, maybe. But now I'm thinking about putting something like 250 on the bar and just seeing what I can rep out. Probably on a Friday so I get some more recovery. Volume squats are freaking murder. Murder.

    Comment


    • Yeah, Rich, it is the same concept with deads and maintaining neutral c-spine.

      Comment


      • Squat day: 3x67.5kg, 3x75kg 8x85kg, 3x90kg, 3x95kg, 10x67.5kg
        And then did 5x10 of 1-arm pushup progression and rows.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by WaylandC View Post
          Yeah, Rich, it is the same concept with deads and maintaining neutral c-spine.
          Yup...strong neck and c-spine positioning makes for stronger EVERYTHING! Heck they did studies that showed judo athletes grip strength improved with neck adjustments. C-spine baby!

          That plus straining while your neck is in extension is a great way to pull some neck and trap muscles. Feels a lot like whiplash.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by WaylandC View Post
            Yeah, Rich, it is the same concept with deads and maintaining neutral c-spine.
            Then yeah, he just yells "chin down" because I have a tendency to bring it up and kill my hip drahhhve if not reminded.
            The Champagne of Beards

            Comment


            • OHP repping 135 for 3 sets to fail with 1 min rests
              Weighted chins... same same with 55lbs.
              Tri press downs ... however much the stack at the gym weighs 3x10-15
              Curls.... barbell or dumbell. 85 or 40s respectively 3x10-15
              SAUNA! my favorite part.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                Yup...strong neck and c-spine positioning makes for stronger EVERYTHING!
                Yes. One of the reasons we try never to let the opponent hold our head in Jiu Jitsu. Also applies to lifting barbells, lawnmowers, griflriends, etc...

                You see some serious neck extension at powerlifting meets, Necky. You would cringe and shudder at what some people think is effective positioning to move heavy weight. Angry-cat lumbars, deadlifting while looking at the ceiling, yanking instead of squeezing....
                The Champagne of Beards

                Comment


                • Today is arm and shoulder day:

                  Warm-up; star-jumps 2 X 25, hanging leg raise 2 X 25

                  Barbell wrist extensions behind the back; 176 X 2 X 10,
                  Barbell wrist curls on bench; 232 X 3 X 10-15

                  Dips machine in superset with preacher curl machine full stack 2 X 15 – 20
                  Narrow grip decline bench press to “board” 232 X 4 X 6 - 8
                  Standing barbell curl; 121 X 4 X 8-10
                  Lying French press with ez bar 121 X 3 X 8
                  Dumbbell concentration curl in superset with Zottman curl 70 X 3 X 6/3(12)

                  Vide grip upright barbell rows; 132 X 3 X 8
                  Lateral dumbbell raises; 55 X 3 X 10 + 45 X 2 X 15
                  Sitting dumbbell press 80 X 4 X 10

                  Finishing with pump work on various machines and body exercises…
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                  - Schopenhauer

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Yes. One of the reasons we try never to let the opponent hold our head in Jiu Jitsu. Also applies to lifting barbells, lawnmowers, griflriends, etc...

                    You see some serious neck extension at powerlifting meets, Necky. You would cringe and shudder at what some people think is effective positioning to move heavy weight. Angry-cat lumbars, deadlifting while looking at the ceiling, yanking instead of squeezing....
                    haha...yeah I bet. You know what... this is probably my problem with the OHP. Maybe. I mean the sticking point for me is right in front of my face, you know that part where you have to look UP to not whack yourself in the chin. Well, its also the natural sticking point for that movement, but I'm thinking that looking up aint helping nobody! This is about the only time I ever tweak my neck as well. How do you and yours do it? I think I remember from a video that you give it a bit more back extension to get by???

                    I mean once that bar is past my face and I bring my chest through so its all vertical again that puppy IS going the rest of the way up! It may take a while, but its getting there.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      haha...this is probably my problem with the OHP.
                      I don't have a problem with maintaining neutral spine/head positioning while doing OHP.

                      Maybe you just have to get past the fear of smacking yourself in the nose with a metal bar

                      Today was squats and they sucked but I made it through and avoided faceplanting on steps (both directions) afterward.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        haha...yeah I bet. You know what... this is probably my problem with the OHP. Maybe. I mean the sticking point for me is right in front of my face, you know that part where you have to look UP to not whack yourself in the chin. Well, its also the natural sticking point for that movement, but I'm thinking that looking up aint helping nobody! This is about the only time I ever tweak my neck as well. How do you and yours do it? I think I remember from a video that you give it a bit more back extension to get by???

                        I mean once that bar is past my face and I bring my chest through so its all vertical again that puppy IS going the rest of the way up! It may take a while, but its getting there.
                        Yeah, we do the "Press 2.0." The head comes back due to some hip overextension. There's a good video on the starting strength website. Or you can just watch Serge Reding clean & press 502 on YouTube.
                        The Champagne of Beards

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          Squat:
                          315 x 8,8,13 (PR)

                          Bench:
                          195 x 6,6,12 (f)
                          Chin-ups:
                          Various with rope, fat gripz, then regular
                          Biceps:
                          Silly curl stuff with a 25# DB
                          GREAT work! I have definitely done the "prayer" stance at the end of an insane set of squats/deadlifts. Lift on, bro! Lift on, bro!


                          Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            Squat:
                            315 x 8,8,13 (PR)

                            Bench:
                            195 x 6,6,12 (f)
                            Chin-ups:
                            Various with rope, fat gripz, then regular
                            Biceps:
                            Silly curl stuff with a 25# DB
                            You madman, high reps and sweatpants to boot, great effort!
                            You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

                            Comment


                            • I did the weekly Body By Science workout, but my mind wasn't 100% focused, which it needs to be with this method...well except for the overhead presses. I'm going to stick to this method. I feel it is the best program I've tried and I've tried many.

                              Comment


                              • Today is some overhead squat practice. Working it into my current program at the moment with a view to potentially use it with pavels power to the people program once I have finished this current training cycle. Time to develop some of that 'dad strength' that Dan John speaks of haha.

                                Richard
                                It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X