Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
    *dat scoliosis*
    Yeah, but let's not gloss over the fact (yes, fact, Gorbag) that he was also plain, old-fashioned, brutally, incredibly strong.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Reverse Hammer press- 90 x15, 160 x 12, 180 x 9, 180 x 8, 180 x 8
      Cable laterals changing resistance curve mid set- 3 sets
      Rear cable extensions- 3 sets including partials
      Partial laterals super-setted with full laterals x 3 sets

Elbows out pushdowns- 120 x 1set, 130 x 2 sets
      Regular pushdowns- full stack on crossover x 3 sets
      Rope extensions drop sets and weighted stretches- x 3 sets

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Yeah, but let's not gloss over the fact (yes, fact, Gorbag) that he was also plain, old-fashioned, brutally, incredibly strong.
        So what? I don’t care if a tiny featherweight guy can out lift me as long and I can squash or manhandle him anytime if necessary…
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
          So what? I don’t care if a tiny featherweight guy can out lift me as long and I can squash or manhandle him anytime if necessary…
          Can you more easily squash and manhandle a strong little fella or a weak little fella? What about someone who's less adept at squashing and manhandling than you? Is it possible that a strong little fella might be too much for him while a weak little guy would be an easy challenge? Is stronger better, or not?
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Can you more easily squash and manhandle a strong little fella or a weak little fella? What about someone who's less adept at squashing and manhandling than you? Is it possible that a strong little fella might be too much for him while a weak little guy would be an easy challenge? Is stronger better, or not?
            Stronger can be even WORSE! Especially if young, lack of experience and too much testosterone floating around in the veins that leads to "hybris" and a sudden disaster…
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
              Stronger can be even WORSE! Especially if young, lack of experience and too much testosterone floating around in the veins that leads to "hybris" and a sudden disaster…
              hubris is the English word. But your claim is ridiculous.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I almost went after a fifth rep. The 4th honestly wasn't even that slow, but I know the fifth would have been an ugly grinder with much form deterioration at best. I'll try to get video at the meet next Saturday (10/25). Planning to open with 475 or 480, take 490 or 495 on the second, and put 100% of whatever's left in the tank after that to something north of 500 on the third.

Yodie - I definitely have advantageous proportions for deadlifts. No argument there.
                I plan to report you for an offensive comment. You'll get banned and then none of us will have to constantly hear how you defy all laws of fairness with your ridiculous gainzzzzes! Yep, that's a plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                  *dat scoliosis*
                  Gant's back.
                  Gant.jpg

He coached my coach to a win at a meet in Denver a number of years ago. Tony has some funny stories about recount about the great Lamar Gant.
                  Last edited by Michael S; 10-18-2014, 06:44 AM.
                  Ht: 5'8"
                  Wt: 166
                  BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Today was squat day, usually my favorite but my low back was killing today. Must have still been really sore from deadlifts Thursday. We ate really bad Friday too so maybe I just didn't recover well, so even my warm up sets felt heavy today, not for my legs just for my lower back. So I wanted more reps, but didn't want to risk anything.

Squats:
                    150 x 3
                    170 x 3
                    195 x 5
                    170 x 3
                    150 x 10

Leg Press Machine: 180 x 10/10/10

Back Raises: BW+10 x 12/12/12

Leg Raises: BW x 12/12/12

Comment

• 12 loads of rocks in the wheelbarrow up the driveway of unusual pain (steep, live on the side of a mountain), rock wall stacked and finished, 1/4 cord wood split an stacked, ditch dug, now time for some big chair slacking.
                      You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

• 16kg KB swings, 9 swings/round, 20 rounds 15:15
                        “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 5, week 3 (5/3/1), Workout A (Squat/Bench)

Another good workout. 5/3/1 week is always a little scary but I met the challenge and made my numbers.

I think I have the squat warm-up nailed now. I do dynamic stretching, including pushing and pull against heavy machines, IT band rolling and finally 5 minutes on the elliptical. I've been trying to do the back squats at a lower position on my back and that seems to make it easier to go down all the way and batter engage the hams and glutes. However, on the heavy lift I did something to tweak my shoulder and did the two pyramid down sets higher up.

I finished in 1:30 minutes which is is a little more than previous weeks, but I was giving myself more time with the 5/3/1 sets.

5/3/1 programmed main exercises (5/3/1 week):
                          • Squats - pyramid 5x190# 3x215# 2x240# 3x215# 5x190#
                          • Bench press - pyramid 5x140# 3x160# 3x180# 3x160# 12x140#

8/6/3 programmed assistance exercises (8/6/3 week):
                          • Hammer rows - 8x180# 6x205# 7x220# Alternating 5x250# (for OldSchool)

Other assistance exercises
                          • Hamstring curls 2x10x140#
                          Last edited by miata; 10-21-2014, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Anoche:

Squat: up to 370 x 3
                            Press: up to 165 x 3
                            Chin-ups: 60lbs x 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
                            Clean pulls: 265 x 1 x 10
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Great workout tonight.

Bench:
                              110 x 3
                              125 x 3
                              140 x 7
                              125 x 3
                              110 x 14

Incline dumbbell bench: 35s x 10/10/10

1 arm dumbbell rows: 40 x 20/20

Triceps Pushdown: 75 x 10/10/8

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• First session of new program.

I have been training at home for ages, using free weights. With a change back to a commercial gym and resistance machines came a different training approach.

Todays session:
                                Shrug upright row (done with ropes so I could widen grip as I went up). All weights in Kg's.
                                - 50x14, 45x16, 40x18

Leg raise - 30x12, 25x15, 20x22

Chins - 70x15, 75x12, 70x12

My target was a first set of 8, drop the weight then a second set of roughly 10, drop the weight and a third set of 12. All weight progression is based on reps achieved in first set.
                                I shot for about a 3/3 or 4/4 cadence on all lifts.

As this is a new routine I guest-imated the weights used and I'm happy to say I underestimated my strength on all lifts hence the high reps.

Good session. With the slow cadence and higher reps I thought my grip and forearms were going to explode by the end of the chins.

Calf work to finish. Light weight (30kg's) used. 10 reps, 10 seconds rest in stretch position. 20 reps, 20 seconds rest in stretch position. 30 reps, 30 seconds rest in stretch position. 40 reps, finish. One giant set=Ouchie.

Usually only two training sessions a week just now I think, but with changed schedule this week, Friday will be a third session.

Bring on friday.

Richard
                                It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Working...
                                X