Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by WaylandC View Post
    I'm honestly not sure. I was thinking of doing 6x6 with this weight with my next go. Maybe I'm just a masochist.

    Is it strange that I'm only resting 2-4 minutes between sets? I dunno. Maybe I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

    I video-checked form on the last set and it was solid. When did you start using a lifting belt? I feel like I have a ways to go before needing to utilize one.
    Why would you wait to use a lifting belt? Get one from Best Belts - Powerlifting and Weight Lifting Belts > Home right away (takes a few weeks, because they're custom made), use it for your final warm-up and all 5 work sets starting on the day it arrives. And if you are doing those sets with short rest, it's just still light for you. You seem a little gun shy about putting weight on the bar. Go for 300 next time, and let the rest be as long as it needs to ensure you get all your sets. Recover. Add weight. Repeat. You're squatting below parallel, right?
    The Champagne of Beards

    Comment


    • Originally posted by miata View Post
      Great info. My current twice a week 5/3/1 routine has 22 working sets, and I've been giving myself at least 3 minutes between the 5/3/1 sets. This is taking me between 1:15 and 1:45 minutes. Fortunately, I only lift twice a week, don't run out of energy at the end and recovery is improving.

      I was afraid this would be labelled "chronic lifting," but sounds like I am not so far off after all.
      Your main work on 5/3/1 should have either 3 or 6 working sets, depending on what layout you're using (1 main lift per day or 2). Accessory work is typically done for higher reps with shorter rests, more along the lines of the bodybuilder-type stuff that OldSchhool is familiar with.

      In a standard 4-day/week 5/3/1 layout, you'd have a main lift and 2 or 3 accessory lifts for maybe a total of ~9-12 work sets.

      You sir, are not just majoring in the minors. You've earned a PhD.
      The Champagne of Beards

      Comment


      • lol @ myselft....so went to the garage for some OHP day work. Last workout was deadlifts, so of course the bar is still on the floor with the 225 I last used still on it. I do the same thing each OHP day....remove one of the wheels from each side and clean the bar to press level and rack it to take the other 45s off and do a couple warmup sets. But, as I was completely cold and did it I kinda pulled my left lat....Damnit! Silliness. Probably coulda at least got my blood pumping a bit rather than going straight from sitting on my computer to doing that clean.

        No biggy. Kinda wondered how bad it was that night, but one day later it feels pretty good so should be good by next push/pull day.

        I did:

        OHP: 135x8, 145x5, 155x3, 155x1, 155x1, 155x1

        The reason for that whole story was that this was to be followed by some weighted chins....which did not happen. Instead did some lateral raises and dumbell flys and called it a day.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          lol @ myselft....so went to the garage for some OHP day work. Last workout was deadlifts, so of course the bar is still on the floor with the 225 I last used still on it. I do the same thing each OHP day....remove one of the wheels from each side and clean the bar to press level and rack it to take the other 45s off and do a couple warmup sets. But, as I was completely cold and did it I kinda pulled my left lat....Damnit! Silliness. Probably coulda at least got my blood pumping a bit rather than going straight from sitting on my computer to doing that clean.

          No biggy. Kinda wondered how bad it was that night, but one day later it feels pretty good so should be good by next push/pull day.

          I did:

          OHP: 135x8, 145x5, 155x3, 155x1, 155x1, 155x1

          The reason for that whole story was that this was to be followed by some weighted chins....which did not happen. Instead did some lateral raises and dumbell flys and called it a day.
          Glad it didn't mess with your overhead work. Today we're doing a mock meet, since I'll need to be able to lift reasonably well this weekend (hence volume is contraindicated), and it's time for "my" lifters to do one in prep for the 25th anyway. So I'm going to be attempting either 180 or 185 in the press. Not saying anything's a definite, just letting you know that you had better keep pace!
          The Champagne of Beards

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Your main work on 5/3/1 should have either 3 or 6 working sets, depending on what layout you're using (1 main lift per day or 2). Accessory work is typically done for higher reps with shorter rests, more along the lines of the bodybuilder-type stuff that OldSchhool is familiar with.

            In a standard 4-day/week 5/3/1 layout, you'd have a main lift and 2 or 3 accessory lifts for maybe a total of ~9-12 work sets.
            You sir, are not just majoring in the minors. You've earned a PhD.
            I'd like to dig into this comment a bit more.

            There are a few things about my version that make me call it "Bastardized 5/3/1." I would like to get your take on where I am "majoring in the minors" because I've eliminated a lot of my earlier assistance work." Right now I am only doing 11 exercises each week -- which would be nothing if I had a 4 day routine.

            1) Only 2 workout days a week

            2) I program rows and pull-downs with the 5/3/1 schedule -- and this is very easy to implement with 5 pound increment machines. I think this is a very logical extension of 5/3/1 and I have to believe that most people include some variation of these vertical and horizontal pulling exercises -- mostly likely dumbbell rows or pull-ups which would be difficult to "program" a la 5/3/1. These exercises are 3 sets plus a bonus set with two 20 sec. rest/pauses.

            3) Other than the pulling exercises my only assistance exercises are dumbbell inclines, hamstring curls, RDLs and shrugs -- so doesn't seem too extreme.

            4) I'm doing pyramids for the squats, bench and presses -- resulting in 5 sets each per week.

            5) OK. I'm doing both trap bar deal lifts and wide grip dead lifts and I'm sure this is a little extreme. Problem is I really like both of these. The trap bar dead lifts let me lift a lot of weight and do a let me do a little extra leg work. The wide grip dead lifts are a lot harder with more ROM and hit the lats hard. I am limiting these two to the minimal 3 sets each per week.

            So, Rich in your opinion is my bigger problem due to too many exercises, too many sets, or just trying to cram too much into a only two workouts?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by miata View Post
              I'd like to dig into this comment a bit more.

              There are a few things about my version that make me call it "Bastardized 5/3/1." I would like to get your take on where I am "majoring in the minors" because I've eliminated a lot of my earlier assistance work." Right now I am only doing 11 exercises each week -- which would be nothing if I had a 4 day routine.

              1) Only 2 workout days a week

              2) I program rows and pull-downs with the 5/3/1 schedule -- and this is very easy to implement with 5 pound increment machines. I think this is a very logical extension of 5/3/1 and I have to believe that most people include some variation of these vertical and horizontal pulling exercises -- mostly likely dumbbell rows or pull-ups which would be difficult to "program" a la 5/3/1. These exercises are 3 sets plus a bonus set with two 20 sec. rest/pauses.

              3) Other than the pulling exercises my only assistance exercises are dumbbell inclines, hamstring curls, RDLs and shrugs -- so doesn't seem too extreme.

              4) I'm doing pyramids for the squats, bench and presses -- resulting in 5 sets each per week.

              5) OK. I'm doing both trap bar deal lifts and wide grip dead lifts and I'm sure this is a little extreme. Problem is I really like both of these. The trap bar dead lifts let me lift a lot of weight and do a let me do a little extra leg work. The wide grip dead lifts are a lot harder with more ROM and hit the lats hard. I am limiting these two to the minimal 3 sets each per week.

              So, Rich in your opinion is my bigger problem due to too many exercises, too many sets, or just trying to cram too much into a only two workouts?
              All of that. 80/20 dude. Devote 80% of your time to squats, deadlifts, bench, and press. Pick 2 assistance exercises per workout, 3 max. You can just cycle them if you really feel the need to have 14 in your program. Assistance exercises should be higher rep, shorter rest work and should take ~20% of your time in the gym. Then go home, eat, sleep, and repeat.
              The Champagne of Beards

              Comment


              • Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 5, week 2 (3/3/3), Workout B

                Dead lifts are under control this week. Only six working sets between trap bar and snatch grip. Used straps for the snatch grip dead lifts and that helped a lot. Finished again in about 1:15 which is good for me with 17 working sets.

                "5/3/1 programmed exercises (3/3/3 week):"

                • Overhead press - pyramid 3x90# 3x100# 3x115# 3x100# 12x90#
                • Hammer pull-downs - 3x175# 3x200# 4x225# 175# rest/pause 10,5,5 reps (20 sec rest)
                • Snatch grip (wide grip) dead lift - 3x175 3x200 3x225
                • Trap bar dead lift - 3x250# 3x275# 3x320#

                Assistance exercises

                • RDL 10x145#
                • Trap bar shrugs 6x225# (strap messed me up)
                Last edited by miata; 10-09-2014, 09:17 PM.

                Comment


                • MOCK MEET (meet prep for Iron Fest Strengthlifting meet on 10/25)

                  Squat: 365 good, 375 good, 385 good
                  Press: 165 good, 175 no rep, 175 good
                  Deadlift: 465 good, 480 good, 3rd attempt waived

                  Final tally: 1040. Not too shabby. If I can improve on this at all in the next few weeks, I should end up in a pretty good spot. Wilks was 352.34 based on my after work weight (a tiny bit higher based on my a.m. weight, but I didn't calculate it)
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • Upped my Hammer row poundage to 240lbs today, still very tentative about pushing my bicep too hard but kept the reps super strict and slow !

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                      Upped my Hammer row poundage to 240lbs today, still very tentative about pushing my bicep too hard but kept the reps super strict and slow !
                      Let's have a race to 300. I'm supposed to do 240 next week and will have to really focus on strict form to be fair to Mr. HIT. I'm sure my form is not as strict as yours, but I guess my 1RM is around 250 today, and I have them programmed with 10 pound increases every 4 week cycle. So, I should be there in about 5 months. In 10 years I'll be breaking world records :-)

                      Comment


                      • Today:

                        -Warmup, foam roll
                        -15 Medicine ball slams
                        -Deadlift: 6x3 @340 lbs, 60 seconds between sets
                        -Overhead press: 160x1, 115x5x5
                        -3x10 bicep curls 80 lb
                        -3x15 back raises
                        -100 face pulls 85 lbs

                        Ugh presses have been awful lately. Deadlifted 430 last week, so that's good at least.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by miata View Post
                          Let's have a race to 300. I'm supposed to do 240 next week and will have to really focus on strict form to be fair to Mr. HIT. I'm sure my form is not as strict as yours, but I guess my 1RM is around 250 today, and I have them programmed with 10 pound increases every 4 week cycle. So, I should be there in about 5 months. In 10 years I'll be breaking world records :-)
                          I'll go for 250 next week and try and get my better half to film my form.

                          Comment


                          • BBS big 5. Added weight to row for today, and still hit 84s TUL. Added at least 10s TUL to the other four exercises over last week.

                            Total workout time: 9m 50s
                            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                            Comment


                            • Going on a cruise in a couple days so today was: GUNZ!

                              Thats right curlorama baby . Actually I'm a sissy, I couldn't hit em from 18 different angles. Just did five sets of dumbbell curls and five sets of "cheat" tricep pushdowns. Taking a cue from RMs cheat skullbusters idea. Really liked em. Much less (none?) elbow pain vs super strict.

                              Took a cue from the gorbinator on doing some clusters with the alternate dumbbell curls too.

                              So top set was 40's x5 on right then 5 on left....3 on right then 3 left....again with the 3....then only 2....one more with the 2.....then a couple singles and TOAST. Feel that pump man! I dont think I agree with Arnold though. Definitely not as good as cumming, but hey I did feel like I was gonna rip right out my sleeves.

                              Followed gunz day with 4 recumbent bike 30 second sprints and then 20 minutes in the sauna. Nice little low stress workout actually.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                Going on a cruise in a couple days so today was: GUNZ!

                                Thats right curlorama baby . Actually I'm a sissy, I couldn't hit em from 18 different angles. Just did five sets of dumbbell curls and five sets of "cheat" tricep pushdowns. Taking a cue from RMs cheat skullbusters idea. Really liked em. Much less (none?) elbow pain vs super strict.

                                Took a cue from the gorbinator on doing some clusters with the alternate dumbbell curls too.

                                So top set was 40's x5 on right then 5 on left....3 on right then 3 left....again with the 3....then only 2....one more with the 2.....then a couple singles and TOAST. Feel that pump man! I dont think I agree with Arnold though. Definitely not as good as cumming, but hey I did feel like I was gonna rip right out my sleeves.

                                Followed gunz day with 4 recumbent bike 30 second sprints and then 20 minutes in the sauna. Nice little low stress workout actually.
                                Have a great time on the cruise !

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X