No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang, RM! That is indeed a lot of chinups. I am going to get back to them in the next two weeks or so. I've been following a prescribed program for the last few 12 weeks or so and it doesn't include a lot of chinups.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
      Dang, RM! That is indeed a lot of chinups. I am going to get back to them in the next two weeks or so. I've been following a prescribed program for the last few 12 weeks or so and it doesn't include a lot of chinups.
      Wow, I'm kind of surprised that you guys are so impressed. Really didn't have to push myself much on any of them. Next time I do volume chins, I'll probably try 20 sets of 6. Those should get hard.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Wow, I'm kind of surprised that you guys are so impressed. Really didn't have to push myself much on any of them. Next time I do volume chins, I'll probably try 20 sets of 6. Those should get hard.
        Well, I guess the reps/set were not out of this world, but just the total (102) seems like a lot. I guess if you think of other bodyweight movements, it doesn't seem like quite as much (pushups for example) - although chinups are harder than pushups for most people.

Comment

• Flat DB Press: 90's x8, 90's x 6
          Incline DB Press: 65's x5, 65's x 4
          Hammer Press Partials: 90 x 5, 180 x 8, 230 x 6, 230 x 6
          Squeeze ins on crossover: 3 sets
          Crossovers: 50 x 8, 60 x 7, 60 x 6
          Hammer Inc Press: 70lbs x 1 set
          Squeeze ups on crossover superset with assisted dips x 2 sets

X extensions x 4 sets
          Tricep pushdowns: 160 x 8, 160 x 5, 160 x 5
          Rope extensions with holds: 80 x 1 set, 90 triple drop set, 90 triple drop set.

Comment

• Squats: 295 for 5x5

Comment

• Originally posted by WaylandC View Post
              Squats: 295 for 5x5
              Nice work. 300 next time?
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by WaylandC View Post
                Squats: 295 for 5x5
                Do you purposely leave some in the tank on the early sets so as maintain 5 reps throughout them all ?

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                  Do you purposely leave some in the tank on the early sets so as maintain 5 reps throughout them all ?
                  Typically, in the kind of programs I'm familiar with, 5 x 5 is done with ~85-90% of a 5RM. Not a lot of reps left in the tank, and rest periods between the sets can be up to 10 minutes in order to allow all the sets to get done.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Typically, in the kind of programs I'm familiar with, 5 x 5 is done with ~85-90% of a 5RM. Not a lot of reps left in the tank, and rest periods between the sets can be up to 10 minutes in order to allow all the sets to get done.
                    Ah thanks. Would the last set be to total failure then ? My reps diminish at an alarming rate, my DB presses dropped from 8 reps to 6 reps by only my second set yesterday, had I gone for a 3rd set I'd imagine they would have been down to 4 which is a 50% reduction in reps over only 3 sets. Granted my rest periods are much shorter but it still amazes me that someone can be lifting near max weights yet hit the same reps every set for 5 sets ?

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                      Ah thanks. Would the last set be to total failure then ? My reps diminish at an alarming rate, my DB presses dropped from 8 reps to 6 reps by only my second set yesterday, had I gone for a 3rd set I'd imagine they would have been down to 4 which is a 50% reduction in reps over only 3 sets. Granted my rest periods are much shorter but it still amazes me that someone can be lifting near max weights yet hit the same reps every set for 5 sets ?
                      Well, you're probably resting between 0:30 and 2:00. It's just a different idea than typical strength programming, where you rest longer to be able to get more work done at a pretty high percentage of max.

5 x 5 day is famous for being a grindy nightmare. Like I said, we'll sometimes set a clock for 8, 9, or 10 minutes between the sets, which, in theory, should allow for full ATP replenishment. The last set isn't supposed to be total failure, just the 5 x 5 (and you add 5 lbs each week or each workout depending on the program), but it often comes really close.

My personal rule for a 5 x 5 set of squats is that if you I don't absolutely have to take a knee or lie down on the platform panting after the third set, it was "light."
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Well, you're probably resting between 0:30 and 2:00. It's just a different idea than typical strength programming, where you rest longer to be able to get more work done at a pretty high percentage of max.

5 x 5 day is famous for being a grindy nightmare. Like I said, we'll sometimes set a clock for 8, 9, or 10 minutes between the sets, which, in theory, should allow for full ATP replenishment. The last set isn't supposed to be total failure, just the 5 x 5 (and you add 5 lbs each week or each workout depending on the program), but it often comes really close.

My personal rule for a 5 x 5 set of squats is that if you I don't absolutely have to take a knee or lie down on the platform panting after the third set, it was "light."
                        Got it, thanks.

Comment

• In our world, 5 x 5 is actually considered to be a pretty high volume workout. And a very high volume workout may only include about 11 total work sets (warm-ups excluded), targeting the musculature of the entire body, and may take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours to complete.

5 x 5 squats, 5 x 5 bench press, and 1 x 5 deadlifts is a pretty common volume day set-up. 11 sets of 5. And it will leave you totally smoked and whimpering as you approach the stairs.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• And some days Jim Wendler makes you do 7x5 at 75% of your training max, on a timer, and you hate him and curse his name.

Comment

In our world, 5 x 5 is actually considered to be a pretty high volume workout. And a very high volume workout may only include about 11 total work sets (warm-ups excluded), targeting the musculature of the entire body, and may take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours to complete.

5 x 5 squats, 5 x 5 bench press, and 1 x 5 dead lifts is a pretty common volume day set-up. 11 sets of 5. And it will leave you totally smoked and whimpering as you approach the stairs.
                              Great info. My current twice a week 5/3/1 routine has 22 working sets, and I've been giving myself at least 3 minutes between the 5/3/1 sets. This is taking me between 1:15 and 1:45 minutes. Fortunately, I only lift twice a week, don't run out of energy at the end and recovery is improving.

I was afraid this would be labelled "chronic lifting," but sounds like I am not so far off after all.

Comment

Nice work. 300 next time?
                                I'm honestly not sure. I was thinking of doing 6x6 with this weight with my next go. Maybe I'm just a masochist.

Is it strange that I'm only resting 2-4 minutes between sets? I dunno. Maybe I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

I video-checked form on the last set and it was solid. When did you start using a lifting belt? I feel like I have a ways to go before needing to utilize one.

Comment

Working...
                                X