What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Are you doing the "fresher" or the "heavier" percentages?
    Fresher. But for the wide grips I just picked a weight and went with it. These are new, so still tuning in. I've been reading a lot about wide grip killing your grip, so I shouldn't have been surprised.
    Last edited by miata; 10-05-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by miata View Post
      Fresher. But for the wide grips I just picked a weight and went with it. These are new, so still tuning in. I've been reading a lot about wide grip killing your grip, so I shouldn't have been surprised.
      I'd use straps if I were going to do snatch grip deadlifts. But honestly, it's hard to consider the first set of 5/3/1 to be a true "work set" on deadlifts when it's something like 75% of 90% of 1RM. Maybe as you get much closer to only hitting prescribed reps.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'd use straps if I were going to do snatch grip deadlifts. But honestly, it's hard to consider the first set of 5/3/1 to be a true "work set" on deadlifts when it's something like 75% of 90% of 1RM. Maybe as you get much closer to only hitting prescribed reps.
        I started with a pretty low weight, but I guess we'll see. Also being conservative on the warm-ups. Yes. Definitely using straps next time. Thanks.

Comment

I started with a pretty low weight, but I guess we'll see. Also being conservative on the warm-ups. Yes. Definitely using straps next time. Thanks.
          Which is another reason these are an accessory movement and not a main lift. But we've had this conversation before and you are already aware of my feelings on the subject.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Well mis spoke earlier...335 was the prescription for deads not 345

Deadlift
            135x5 185x5 225x5 275x5 315x3 335x3

And seeing the snatch grip DL being discussed I decided to do 2 sets of 5x225 as back off sets/finishers. Interesting feel to em.

Comment

• Had some substandard workouts since getting back into the gym after a couple of weeks off for the muscle twinge/mini tear, but today I felt proud of the amount of sweat I worked up.

A good chunk of this was based on OS' B Pak link where he waxed lyrical about hitting different fibres by using different angles and ROMs. Made sense, and I want some chest and back hypertrophy, so I decided to give it a shot.

Dumbbell Bench Press:

Descending Angles - just off vertical, 60 Incline, 45 Incline, 30 Incline, Flat, 30 Decline

25 kg (55 lb) per hand, 10 reps per angle, supersetted with DB Flies10 kg (22 lb) per hand on every angle except the first.

Total 60 reps pressing, 50 reps flies.

Narrow Grip Bench Press:

60 kg 10 x 1
              70 kg 3 x 3

Two hand cable pull down

Vertical (arms coming down through plane of the head) 10 reps 30 kg, 10 rest pause 40 kg
              45 Angle 10 reps 30 kg, 10 rest pause 40 kg
              Cable row (horizontal): 10 reps 30 kg, 10 rest pause 40 kg

Deadlifts:

Did a few of my warm ups Reeves style, but nothing formal enough to list as working reps. Damn did I like them, though.

180 kg (396 lb) 3 x 3

The last set was basically rest pause.

Finisher

50 Alternating hand KB swings, 20 kg (44 lb)

I was toast by the end of this. I'm thinking of changing my workout style back to more of a body part split for a while to see how the change works for me, but I'm still not quite sure of it.

I'm definitely using CrossFit Football as a source of inspiration for planning, though, especially for adding the conditioning element after my strength training. I've been too much of a candy ass in that regard for the last few months and need to step my overall fitness up several notches.

Comment

• KB swings, Viking Warrior Conditioning style: 20 x 15:15, with 9 swings in each work set (i.e., 180 swings total), 10 min workout.

HR at exercise completion: 139 bpm
                HR at exercise +2: 86 bpm
                HR at exercise +5: 81 bpm
                HR at exercise +10: 74 bpm

Planning on alternating this workout with my jumprope work out week-to-week.
                Last edited by Rosencrantz1; 10-06-2014, 05:19 AM.
                “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 5, week 2 (3/3/3), Workout A

Good workout today. I think the 5/3/1 pyramid approach is ideal for me on main lifts. I do AMRAP on the 3rd and last sets. I really liked the dumbbell drop sets after the bench press. On the last set I was barely able to finish the 10th rep before switching to the lighter weight. I'm resting 2 minutes between sets and that seems about right. I also did a set of the "hex presses" that OS recommended. I was only able to pump out 5 reps. Next week I'll drop the weight and try to do 2 sets of 10 reps.

I think I may have a warm-up problem. I felt much better doing the bench after the squats. I think next week I'll do a 10 minute spin on my bike before doing any lifting.

I finished in 1:15 minutes which is better than the last few weeks. I reduced bench warm-up time by doing them on the Hammer machine between squat sets. It is just hard to do everything with just two workouts a week.:-(

"5/3/1 programmed exercises (3/3/3 week):"

• Squats - pyramid 3x175# 3x200# 4x225# 3x200# 5x175#
                  • Bench press - pyramid 3x130@ 3x150 5x170 3x150# 15x130#
                  • Hammer rows - rest/pause 3x175# 3x200# 10x225# 175# with 15-7-3 reps with 20 sec rests

Assistance exercises

• Dumbbell incline drop sets 3x 10/10 @ 55#/35#
                  • Dumbbell flat "hex presses" 5x55#
                  • Hamstring curls 2x10x140#
                  Last edited by miata; 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Squats: 340 x 5,5,5,5,4
                    Press: 155 x 4 x 6
                    Chin-ups: BW x 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,3,3,3,3,2,1 (102 total)
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Squats: 340 x 5,5,5,5,4
                      I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more chinup volume!
                      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                        I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more chinup volume!
                        Yeah, I have been really driving the intensity the past several weeks, so I figured it was time to get some reps in!
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

All impressive but these chin-ups show real drive and 100 reps is something for everyone to strive for. How did you space these out timewise?

Comment

Holy Effballs, Batman. No wonder your back and arms are as dense and developed as they are. Beastly effort, dude.

@ Miata

I always do bench after squats, and it always goes better. Many strength coaches have programmed this way for a long time, and practically speaking it makes perfect sense.

10 minutes on a bike is fine, but you may not need that much time and may not warm up the areas that are going to be stressed hardest. I typically aim for 3-5 minutes on a ski machine or rowing machine as a warm up and try to and get as much of my body warm as I can - the tendons in your shoulders and triceps are going to be hammered on the bench press especially, so I like doing something dynamic with my arms to warm them up as an insurance policy.

3-5 minutes seems to stride a good line between not burning into my glycogen and getting primed for a workout. Generally speaking I'd rather expend more energy burning out on my finisher than chewing into my warm up.

Comment

How did you space these out timewise?
                              Didn't even keep track. Just waited until I knew the next set wouldn't be a problem. Obviously, the rest time was able to decrease as the sets got shorter. I could have probably kept going for several more sets of 3 without much trouble. None of these reps was above an RPE of 6 or maybe 7.

It's nice being a little guy. Chins for reps at 153 lbs is a whole different thing than it is at 185, which is a whole different thing than when you weigh 220.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Big shoulder and calf session for me.........man is calf training ever painful !

Comment

Working...
                                X