What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by miata View Post
    Both arms at the same time. I know when I was using cable machines I used to like doing one or two sets one side at a time.

Are you alternating one arm? Ex L x 10 - R x 10, or LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR?

I have been doing classic 5/3/1 rest/pauses on the Hammer rows and pull-downs and seems like I am progressing much faster than 5 pounds per 4 week cycle. I wonder if the rest/pause is a positive factor there?
    I sometimes do them one arm at a time but using two arms together definitely lessons the weight I can use so must be stricter somehow. Whichever way I do them my main focus is always on getting the elbows back as far as possible and squeezing the back, great exercise.

Comment

• Hill sprints....dang. Only did 5 of em then I nearly wretched. That was rough.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
        Prayers coming your way from a native of Georgia :-)

That is some beastly weight to be moving for that many reps. Keep that form solid.
        Thanks. And I apologize for incorrectly posting the weight I used. Today, it was 290 for 6x6.

Next week it will be 295 for 5x5.

RichMahogany, I'm not running any particular program; I'm just doing a generic 5x5 but I like to push myself with the 6x6 before moving up in weight.

Today was tough but I powered through it and my form didn't suffer much. I am having a little trouble with my left leg trying to internally rotate coming out of the bottom so I have to consciously push the knees out.

Comment

• Today was a long slow cardio on the cross trainer for 1 hour burnt over 500 calories. Still recovering from the weights session.

Comment

• BBS big 5. Improvements on all 5 (TUL) and will move up on Row weight for next week.

Total workout time: 9m 40s

Note:
            After 20+ years of 5-6 days a week in the gym, at times working out up to 8 hours a week, I've done a total of 10 hours of working out (exclusive of morning walks) since May. I feel that I'm in the best shape of my life, not only in terms of absolute strength, but also in terms of what I see in the mirror and, most importantly, in terms of how GREAT I feel every single day (although I'm always wiped for a couple days after the Big 5).
            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Last night:

Squat: 380 x 1 x 3, 355 x 3 x 1
              Bench: 225 x 4, 210 x 6, 185 x 12
              Deadlift: 485 x 1 (PR on that barbell), 485 x 0 (fail), 445 x 3
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Nice PR RM....

I'm going for ....I forget...I think its 345 for 3-5 reps here soon. 405x1 still looks a long way off.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                  I sometimes do them one arm at a time but using two arms together definitely lessons the weight I can use so must be stricter somehow. Whichever way I do them my main focus is always on getting the elbows back as far as possible and squeezing the back, great exercise.
                  Yup...I do love me that hammer row machine....far as machine work goes its probably my absolute favorite. I do both arms at a time and do a top set at 220x6. But I do mine in the HIT fashion of strict form and no rest pause...continuous contraction. I do the Hammer Press as a rest pause cause it gives me opportunity to reset my shoulders and reduce the likelihood of aggravating some wonky shoulder shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Nice PR RM....

I'm going for ....I forget...I think its 345 for 3-5 reps here soon. 405x1 still looks a long way off.
                    Thanks, man. Glad I pulled it off for the single, but it was an off day for me, actually. Should have done 2 or 3 singles, then got 5 in my backoff set. Should have had three doubles on the squats @ 380 as well.

If you get 5 @ 345, you're probably not far from 405 x 1 at all.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 5, week 1 (5/5/5), Workout B

Dead lift overload. Learned my lesson. 25 reps of trap bar dead lifts plus another 40 of wide grip dead lifts is just too much. I do like the pyramid variation for the 5/3/1 exercises though.

"5/3/1 programmed exercises (5/5/5 week):"

• Overhead press - pyramid 5x85# 5x100# 3x110# 5x100# 5x85#
                      • Hammer pull-downs 5x165# 5x190# 5x215# 165# rest/pause 10,5,4 reps (20 sec rest)
                      • Trap bar dead lift - pyramid 5x235# 5x275# 3x305# 5x275# 5x235#

Assistance exercises

• RDL 10x135# 10x155#
                      • Trap bar shrugs 2x10x205#
                      • Snatch grip (wide grip) dead lift 4x10x165#

Comment

Dead lift overload. Learned my lesson. 25 reps of trap bar dead lifts plus another 40 of wide grip dead lifts is just too much. I do like the pyramid variation for the 5/3/1 exercises though.

"5/3/1 programmed exercises (5/5/5 week):"

• Overhead press - pyramid 5x85# 5x100# 3x110# 5x100# 5x85#
                        • Hammer pull-downs 5x165# 5x190# 5x215# 165# rest/pause 10,5,4 reps (20 sec rest)
                        • Trap bar dead lift - pyramid 5x235# 5x275# 3x305# 5x275# 5x235#

Assistance exercises

• RDL 10x135# 10x155#
                        • Trap bar shrugs 2x10x205#
                        • Snatch grip (wide grip) dead lift 4x10x165#
                        'tis a metric fuckton of deadlift volume, yes.

I think both Rich and myself have said this before, but I hate deadlifts for reps with the burning fury of a thousand suns. If I had my way, everything bar heavy singles would be illegal so I would never have to do them. Fantastic results from the exercise, but man do they kill you.

25 working reps is plenty, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                          'tis a metric fuckton of deadlift volume, yes.

I think both Rich and myself have said this before, but I hate deadlifts for reps with the burning fury of a thousand suns. If I had my way, everything bar heavy singles would be illegal so I would never have to do them. Fantastic results from the exercise, but man do they kill you.

25 working reps is plenty, man.
                          Interestingly my grip was the first to go. Had calluses for the first time.

I've already tweaked my spreadsheet so that I do a straight 5/3/1 for both. That does mean worst case of 30 reps some weeks -- and 18 or 12 other weeks

Comment

• Almost killed myself (a little exaggeration). Thank God for a spotter. I was squatting 205 4x3. First set was fine. Last rep of the second set, coming out of the hole... I literally cannot fully remember what happened. I think I shifted to the front of my feet or some stupidity. All I know is I rock forward, hips come up, I shift a foot and the weight starts to roll towards my neck! WTF?!? I had a spotter, thank God, and somehow we (he?) re-racked the weight. I literally have no idea how it happened. I obviously got too comfortable or something. Anywho, I waved to the crowd, got my missed rep and finished up my remaining set. I'm glad I had more to go or else I would've been fighting a bit of fear next time I got in the squat rack. As it stands, I'm thankful for my life, my spotter and my gainzzzzes!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                              Almost killed myself (a little exaggeration). Thank God for a spotter. I was squatting 205 4x3. First set was fine. Last rep of the second set, coming out of the hole... I literally cannot fully remember what happened. I think I shifted to the front of my feet or some stupidity. All I know is I rock forward, hips come up, I shift a foot and the weight starts to roll towards my neck! WTF?!? I had a spotter, thank God, and somehow we (he?) re-racked the weight. I literally have no idea how it happened. I obviously got too comfortable or something. Anywho, I waved to the crowd, got my missed rep and finished up my remaining set. I'm glad I had more to go or else I would've been fighting a bit of fear next time I got in the squat rack. As it stands, I'm thankful for my life, my spotter and my gainzzzzes!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                              Manky reps happen to everyone. Just glad you had a spotter and didn't get hurt.

@Miata

30... much less kick in the balls'ey. 12-18, me likely.

Comment

Interestingly my grip was the first to go. Had calluses for the first time.

I've already tweaked my spreadsheet so that I do a straight 5/3/1 for both. That does mean worst case of 30 reps some weeks -- and 18 or 12 other weeks
                                Are you doing the "fresher" or the "heavier" percentages?
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X