X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a few workouts since last time most notable was

Squat:
    185x5, 225x5, 245x5, 255x3 (PR), 225x5, 225x5

I think thats the only new PR this past week. Well I did 230x5 on the hammer press and the hammer row, both for 5 reps, so those are kinda PR's as I have not loaded up past that for many a year.

Doing deadlifts tonight.

Comment

• Assisted pullups till my arms fall off, then maybe some hiking the trails of my local park and if I have any energy left I'll carry heavy stuff around the house!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

• 9/18/2014:

Squat: 370 x 2 x 5. Got all my reps. Nice.
        Press: 170 x 2, 2, 1, 155 x 4 (got a good number of reps)
        Deadlift: 475 x 1 x 4 (with 1 failed rep out of 5 total attempts)
        Rack Pull (just barely below kneecap, with straps): 505 x 5

First time I ever stood up with >500 lbs in my hands. It's a good feeling. Wake-up weight today 154.6.
        Last edited by RichMahogany; 09-19-2014, 09:13 AM.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 4, week 3 (5/3/1), Workout B

Tried a more aggressive version of "boring but big" for Trap Bar dead lift where you use the weight of your first set. This week should have been 5x3, but I ran out of time so just did a single set of 8. I felt like I could have done 4 more sets, so really bummed that I ran out of time.

I need to increase the offset for the rows by another 10 pounds next cycle. I think I will drop the first set last rest pause on the chest press for now on. Didn't leave any strength for doing my dumbbell incline press assistance work.

"5/3/1 programmed exercises (5/3/1 this week):"

• Hammer Strength chest press 3x130 3x145 2x165 - first set last rest/pause 9/3/0
          • Hammer Strength rows 5x175 3x200 10x220 - first set last rest/pause 13/9/5
          • Trap bar dead lift 5x260 3x295 3x330 (PR) + (one set of Boring but Big) 8x260

Assistance exercises

• Dumbbell incline press 2x15x50, 1x12x50, 2x12x45
          • RDL with trap bar 10x135
          • Trap bar shrugs 2x10x205
          Last edited by miata; 09-18-2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by miata View Post
            I think I will drop the first set last rest pause on the chest press for now on. Didn't leave any strength for doing my dumbbell incline press assistance work.
            Sounds like a case of "majoring in the minors"

How does one perform a trap bar RDL?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              Sounds like a case of "majoring in the minors"
              Should have seen that coming :-(.

Well, I'm focusing more on the squats, dead lift and press. If I had a spotter I would probably be doing "boring but big" routines on the bench press, but since I'm using a machine I like to balance it out with the dumbbells. At some stage I would like to transition to the barbell for this last lift and drop the barbells.
              Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              How does one perform a trap bar RDL?
              Is a little awkward in that that back of the bar rubs against the back of your legs. Mostly convenience, to save time I set up the trap bar and go through a sequence of dead lift warmups, RDLs and shrugs while increasing the weight to my trap bar working sets.

Comment

• BBS Big 5. Improvements for TUL for all 5 over last week, and will be moving up in weights on a couple exercises next week. Total workout time: 11 minutes.
                “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• I worked out with sbhikes last night! First time I met someone from the Internet. Lots of fun! Though I feel bad that she went to bed hungry! (I thought you were in a hurry to get back to the conference. Otherwise we could've gotten something to eat. &#128546

Squat: 65,95,135/5
                  165/3
                  195/6x3

Bench: 45,65, 85
                  100/3
                  115/6x3

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• ^hahah...very cool. I've still never met anybody from the interwebz

Comment

• Had a great 3 hour bike ride today. The most amazing thing is that I was overflowing with energy in spit of the fact the I just completed week 3 of my 5/3/1 lifting program. The last couple of times when I rode after those weeks I was drained of energy from the beginning.

I must be getting better at recovery. The only other thing difference is that I did a couple of pretty intense roller sessions on my IT bands on Wednesday and Friday evenings.
                      Last edited by miata; 09-21-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Low Pulley rows - 2 sets
                        Hammer Rows- 180 x 7, 230 x 5, 180 x 6
                        Pull Downs - 3 drop sets

Calf blitz.

Comment

• Nothing!!! Sundays during football season is a 'recovery day' :-D

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jump rope day. 4 x 60:60, 4 x 30:30, 8 x 20:10
                            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• I'm back!

I have finally been back at it for about a month after taking a month or so off on account of getting married, moving to a new city and starting my first teaching job (elementary special ed) after graduating in May. Needless to say it was a crazy stressful busy month.

Anyways, previously I was doing 5/3/1 and loving it, but I have dropped weight on everything and now have been trying to work back up to a decent weight before going back on the program. I have been focusing a lot on form since taking off weight and working back up slowly.

The best lifts I have hit in this past month or so (ps I am male, 22 years old, 5'9 , 151-153 lbs):

Squat: 195 x 5/5/5
                              Bench: 145 x 5/5/5
                              Press: 90 x 5/5/5
                              Deadlift: The new gym we are going to at the school my wife is going to for grad school only has one deadlifting platform which is ALWAYS taken and the other weights are not circular, they have probably 10 or 12 sides so we have not been deadlifting with those. We have been doing straight legged deadlifts out of the squat rack.

I just thought l'd check back in! I'll probably start posting my workouts again.

Yesterday was:

Light higher rep squats: 145 x 10/10/10
                              Bench: 145 x 5/5/5
                              Press: 65 x 8/8/8/8
                              Pull-Ups: BW x 6/6/6/6
                              Side bends: 35 x 15/15

Comment

• Squats:

335 x 5 x 4

Press:

155 x 5 x 4
                                155 x 4 (f)