• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat 230 3x5

Bench 180 2x5, 1x3- back cramp

Wide grip bench 135 2x5

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Did about a 75 mile out to the Ocean and back yesterday. I took a steeper climbing route over the hills and decided that I need to go back to my 13-19 cassette to improve cadence and protect my knees in the future.

Comment

• Squat: 225x10
        Standing press: 125x11
        Pulldown: 9th pin (who knows how much it weighs lol), 12 reps

60x17x1 hammer curls. Using hammer curls for a low rep training experiment - one single rep every 30 seconds for a goal of 20 total reps. Seeing how it works, seeing how I like it.

So far it seems like I'm able to recover from the workouts very fast, but the progression scheme is exactly the same as what I normally use: get more reps, then add weight. With that in mind it seems like a more time consuming and less intuitive version of my normal training. I will continue it for a little while just to see what happens, but I'm not impressed that it's magic but it's been interesting to experiment with at low overall risk to my progress.
        Last edited by Jothra; 09-01-2014, 06:09 AM.
        Things worth eating are rarely sold in stores.
        [ Paleo // Weston A. Price // Intermittent Fasting ]
        *** School of Medicine class of 2017

Comment

• Yesterday was a struggle. I'm a little sick and generally pretty exhausted, but I managed to push through my workout, if only by the skin of my teeth. Interspersed these exercises with pull ups and chin ups in grease the groove fashion, sets of five trying to keep the movement slow and not use momentum.

Squat:

165 kg (363 lb) x 5 x 3

I was hoping for 5x5, but it so wasn't gonna happen today. Maybe my next workout. Still, last time around at this weight level I was working at 3 x 5, so I'm not too fussed about it. I'm not getting any weaker at least.

OHP:

65 kg (143 lb) x 5 x 3

Technique felt good. I pumped through these with some pretty short rest periods, so I'm looking forward to my workouts where I get over the 70 kg range and then up to the 80s. I think I'll be overall better at pressing this time around.

Deadlifts:

120 kg (264 lb) x 3
          150 kg (330 lb) x 2
          180 kg (396 lb) x 5

That fiver was effectively a rest pause set because I was so damn gassed. I hit 2, then had to pause about 15-20 seconds, reset, then singles with 10-15 seconds rest each. Still counting it because... well I am. It's really hard to hit continuous sets once I go over the 160 kg mark now.

I might have to program my deadlifts to after light squats or front squats only now and make them a once a week thing.
          Last edited by Reventon; 09-01-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Nice work, Revs.

My day was:

Squat: 320 x 8 x 3
            Press: 160 x 5 (PR)
            Deadlift: 465 x 3 (PR)
            Rack Pulls: 485 x 5 (PR)
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              Nice work, Revs.

My day was:

Squat: 320 x 8 x 3
              Press: 160 x 5 (PR)
              Deadlift: 465 x 3 (PR)
              Rack Pulls: 485 x 5 (PR)
              Whoa! Nice stuff!! You on the juice? ;-)

I've been so lazy about posting my workouts. But never fear, I'm workin hard! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Haven't posted much, but have been doing good work. Banged up my knee somehow, though, so might take this week off from lifting, at least lower body.

Last week top sets were:
                Squat 310x2, Paused bench 265x2, Deadlift 415x2. Really could've pulled 415 four or five times, but my knee freaking hurts right around where I set up for deads, so I called it off. Feels like my patellar tendon is achey, especially when I first wake up. Gets better as I get moving.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Nice work Rich and Mr A. Fires me right up for bench day tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                    Whoa! Nice stuff!! You on the juice? ;-)
                    Just the moo juice. And peanut butter. I'm gigantic. Probably 160 pounds!

Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                    I've been so lazy about posting my workouts. But never fear, I'm workin hard! ;-)
                    Yeah, I don't think any of us is under the impression you're slacking in the gym. Just the forums.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I tend to do light workouts with cardio and grip work on the days I don't do any actual lifting.

Today I did a bunch of what I call "finger curls," deadlifting a bar double overhand and letting it roll halfway out of your fingers, then closing your hand again against the bar's resistance. I usually do these for high volume as I've found my grip responds better to it. Recently I did 185x15 for several sets, so today I goofed around with 205. Just barely got one set, then back to 185 for volume.

Also did a bit of ab wheel, then a bunch of alternating sets of burpees and bodyweight leg moves.

Comment

• Today was:
                        Squat: 270x5x2
                        RDL: 235x5x2

Lots of other bodyweight/abs/prehab stuff (Supine hip extension leg curl [SHELC], reverse crunch, deadbug)

The squats were a challenge. My form was not perfect on the last couple reps, but I definitely hit depth. And the RDLs were a grip challenge. With regular DL, I can normal-grip up to 315 without much trouble. Not setting down the weight between reps and having to reverse the momentum makes it more challenging. I need to do more grip work.

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 4, week 1 (5/5/5), Workout A

I tried out "first set last" routine today where you do short sets with 20 second breaks. We'll see how I feel this week and how I do next week. I focused more on going all the way down on squats and was just able to finish my 5 reps on the last set -- but glad I'm "doing them right." I was disappointed again with the press -- couldn't get the last rep in the last set. Hopefully my "first set last" routine will help me progress.

Exercise Sets Reps Weight

"5/3/1 programmed exercises(5/5/5 this week):"

• Squats 5x160 5x180 5x205 (first set last with 160# - 8 reps, rest, 6 reps, rest, 5 reps)
                          • Hammer Strength pull-downs 5x150 5x175 7x200 (first set last with 150# - 8 reps, rest, 7 reps, rest, 5 reps)
                          • Overhead press 5x85 5x95 4x110 (first set last with 85# - 5 reps, rest, 4 reps, rest, 5 reps @ 75#)

Assistance exercises

• Arnold press 3x15x20
                          • Hamstring curls 2x10x140
                          • Leg extension machine 2x10x170
                          • Calf raises machine 2x15x250

Comment

• Today: Deadlift 295x12. Stoked, once I hit 15 I'll shoot for 315x10.

Yesterday: lots of random running and other incidental athleticism (was a hectic day)

Comment

• Bench: several sets of 10, highest set was 195.
                              Underhand BB rows: same deal, highest set was 225.

Edit: I realized in a flash of blinding rage that my row 10RM with good form is equal to my squat 10RM, and went to the gym for some impromptu hate squatting.

Squat: 225x16
                              Last edited by Jothra; 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• BBS Big 5 at new gym; progressed in either weight or TUL (or both) for all exercises over last week. Total workout time: 10 minutes.
                                “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                                X