What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Squats 3x5 @ 225 better form than this weekend. Repeated the weight to make sure it wasnt a fluke.

Keep experiencing some kind of detraining effect on SS. Need help/tips.
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Deadlift 280x5. May need to get straps soon.. Bar is sliding down in to my fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
      Why not use an alternate grip? Right hand overhand, left hand underhand. Once the weight got too heavy for my double overhand grip, I switched it up. You can do other "grip" work, but I never have time for that. Of course you use chalk too, right?

Comment

• Oooo, that was a good read! For this reason, I'm so thankful (most of the time) for the programming my coach does. If not, I would most certainly play these mind games and spin my wheels bouncing back and forth with "comfortable" weights. Instead, I silently play all the mind games then I say "well, if coach put it up there, he must think I can do it." So I do it and that's that. ;-) This only happens to me on squats - never deads or bench. Hhhmmm...

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
          Why not use an alternate grip? Right hand overhand, left hand underhand. Once the weight got too heavy for my double overhand grip, I switched it up. You can do other "grip" work, but I never have time for that. Of course you use chalk too, right?
          Can't forget dat chalk. It's like Tinkerbell's dust for lifting. Chalk before straps, always.

Today's workout sucked. Missed breakfast and lunch, had slept like crap and was a bit sick. What I managed was kinda ok as a result, but I'm still mad as fuck.

Squat:

160 kg (352 lb) x 5 x 3

Really wanted 5x5 out of that. The last rep of my third set made it clear attempting so would be unwise. Microloading another 2.5 kg and shooting for it on Monday.

OHP

62.5 kg (137 lb) x 5 x 3
          62.5 kg (137 lb) x 3

Fuckity fuck fuck. I wanted my goddamn 5x5 across. Should have had it. Stoopid body.

Deadlifts:

120 kg (264 lb) x 5
          150 kg (330 lb) x 3
          180 kg (396 lb) x 3

That last batch of deadlifts killed me, I had to stand up after rep 2 and was pretty dizzy. I pushed through it and banged out another, then I was just done. I played with a narrowed stance to see if it helped my back angle and it felt great until I was just out of gas. I think that will be a mainstay for me from now on.

I also kept greasing the groove with chin ups and pull ups between sets, 3-5 reps each time, so I'd probably banged out 20-30 by the end of the workout.

Really annoyed and motivated to murder it next time.

Comment

Yes, I use chalk.... much to my wife's displeasure... but she's young, she'll adjust...

I've been trying to stay with a double overhand grip, more for grip strength improvement than anything. That, and the idea feels awkward for a overhand/underhand grip. I may go that route, I just want to stay with a double overhand grip until I can't hold it anymore.... I'm just stubborn I guess...

Comment

• Thanks for that.. it was a good read. Yes, a big majority of this is mental. Honestly, I am lifting heavier weight now than I have ever lifted in my life. I turned 55 this year, and back when i was young, and dumb I would sporadically get back to lifting, but never accumulated much strength because my head wasn't in to lifting. Now it is a goal to get strong. I don't want to be that 70 year old man too weak to push a walker, so I push a barbell now so I won't have to push a walker later.

Comment

• Try out hook grip. I pulled a double at 415 last week, and had no problems holding the bar. If you train it with some lighter weights for a while it doesn't even hurt your thumbs.

I'm just not a big fan of mixed grip deadlift, for myself.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                  Try out hook grip. I pulled a double at 415 last week, and had no problems holding the bar. If you train it with some lighter weights for a while it doesn't even hurt your thumbs.

I'm just not a big fan of mixed grip deadlift, for myself.

Sent via lightsaber
                  I gave it a try for one of my warm up lifts, but it was a new hold and uncomfortable, and the weight was probably to heavy for a first time using that grip. I will try again with lighter weight.

Comment

Yes, I use chalk.... much to my wife's displeasure... but she's young, she'll adjust...
                    Young wife? Nice! For my second marriage I'm going young for sure!! 😜😜 Just kidding...hubby is great!

Comment

Young wife? Nice! For my second marriage I'm going young for sure!! ���� Just kidding...hubby is great!

well, she's younger than me... by a couple of years.. and if you aren't dead, you're young enough to adjust..

Comment

• Yesterday was:

Bench press: 232.5 x 5 (PR), 220 x 6 x 2
                        Chin-ups: +50 x 8,7,6
                        Power Cleans: 147.5 x 3,2
                        Hang Power Cleans: 147.5 x 2
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Deadlift: 275x15.
                          Bench: 195x10
                          BB row: 185x12

May switch to underhand rows. Opinions on underhand BB rows?

Edit: went back to the gym, did 185x12 underhand rows. I like these, I'll be doing them by default from now on.
                          Last edited by Jothra; 08-28-2014, 02:45 PM.
                          Things worth eating are rarely sold in stores.
                          [ Paleo // Weston A. Price // Intermittent Fasting ]
                          *** School of Medicine class of 2017

Comment

• Thursday I hit the bench press for some volume and messed around with rows. Finally got my grip width right. After Eden's advice helped Rich I went that finger width wider and suddenly everything just felt right. The entire lift felt a tightness and stability I've been unconsciously looking for but simply hadn't achieved.

Bench:

80 kg (176 lb) x 5 x 4, 8 x 1
                            60 kg x 12
                            40 kg x 20
                            30 kg Narrow grip x 7, wide grip x 9

Still no herculean lifts, but I'm hoping the new technique and the drop sets help build enough mass to change that.

After that I did a bunch of barbell rows, cable rows, crow rows, narrow grip pulldowns, the odd chin up and some cable rear delt flies with no especial plan.
                            Last edited by Reventon; 08-29-2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Day off today after 6 days in a row (different workouts each day). I was fit shamed last night by a few people. Sigh.

Comment

• Today:

225x1 squat. Basically just a form check to make sure that I'm all set to hit 10+ reps on Monday. It went up nice and easy, so I am confident.

I also have begun a low rep experiment on a lift I don't care much about. We'll see how it goes.
                                Things worth eating are rarely sold in stores.
                                [ Paleo // Weston A. Price // Intermittent Fasting ]
                                *** School of Medicine class of 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X