What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    3 successful reps and 4 failed all day. Not good. Should be able to do this weight for 5 reps, but I'm down a few pounds according to the evil box on the floor in my bathroom, so maybe that's partly to blame.
    'tis an evil box indeed. But there's only one kind of box that's ever worthy of approval.

Other way for me, man. Today is the start of a serious cut for me. I've freaking put on 6 lbs after starting training again and I was still eating relatively cleanly.

Solid Rack Pulls too, even if the Squats didn't go as planned... but that's a serious amount of weight, and with a hard, high intensity training schedule sometimes it's just not going to happen on the given day no matter how good your efforts, preparation and technique are. Frustrating as it is, when the stars don't align there's no point whatsoever in being hard on yourself for the result not going as planned when your efforts have been right.

Given you're also pressing more than your bodyweight, that's pretty impressive. Can't be too unhappy with that. Closest I've been is 80%, so I'm still jealous you got a double out, even if it's not what you intended.

Comment

• PR day!

-Warmup/foam roll
      -3x5 box jump
      -Squat: 215x3, 250x3, 280x3, 310x2 (PR)
      -Paused bench: 7x5 @200
      -Chinups +20 lbs 5x5
      -2x25 side bends w 45 lbs
      -100 triceps pushdowns (85 lbs)

Those last two squats came up slooooow, but got deep enough and everything. Bench was brutal. Good day though!

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
        PR day!

-Warmup/foam roll
        -3x5 box jump
        -Squat: 215x3, 250x3, 280x3, 310x2 (PR)
        -Paused bench: 7x5 @200
        -Chinups +20 lbs 5x5
        -2x25 side bends w 45 lbs
        -100 triceps pushdowns (85 lbs)

Those last two squats came up slooooow, but got deep enough and everything. Bench was brutal. Good day though!
        Nice work, Mr A. That's a damn good day.

Comment

• Jump rope intervals: 4 x 60:60, 4 x 30:30, 8 x 20:10

HR at completion: 154 bpm
          HR at + 2: 88 bpm
          HR at +5: 84 bpm
          HR at +10: 86

I'm using the instant heart rate app on my iPhone, which is not always so great, but I would say that over the last couple months of once-a-week JR and once-a-week BBS lifting, my HR recovery has improved somewhat significantly. I would also say that my average resting HR, which is now around 45 +/-, is as low as it has ever been in my entire life (and I'll be 44 on Thursday).
          “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 3, week 3 (5/3/1), Workout A

Another great workout -- exceeded the last set of 5/3/1 with 4 reps for squats, 5 for pull-downs and 2 for press. I noticed that I was going below parallel for all of my squat working sets, but was going down even more on my assistant squats afterwards with much less weight. Also, looks like I dialed in the weight for the press -- but still have a some serious skill gaps that I need to fill. Also threw in some leg presses while waiting for the calf raise machine and they felt great.

Spent close to 1:30 on my routine, but some of that was just waiting around. Still need to get to less than 1:15.

Exercise Sets Reps Weight

"5/3/1 programmed exercises:"

• Squats 5x175 3x200 4x220
            • Hammer Strength pull-downs 5x165 3x190 5x210
            • Overhead press 5x90 3x105 2x115

Assistance exercises"

• Squats 3x10x135
            • Hammer Strength pull-downs 3x15x130
            • Arnold press 3x15x20
            • Hamstring curls 2x10x140
            • Leg extension machine 2x10x160
            • Calf raises machine 2x15x250
            • Leg presses 5x400 5x490 5x580
            Last edited by miata; 08-22-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Today's workout was the kind where I should have exclaimed "By the power of Grayskull!!!" Before commencing.

Squat:

155 kg (341 lb) x 5 x 3
              170 kg (374 lb) x 3
              180 kg (396 lb) x 2
              190 kg (418 lb) x 1

OHP

60 kg x 5 x 3 (132 lb)

Technically supersetted these with my squats. I was really feeling it today.

Deadlifts:

120 kg (264 lb) x 5
              150 kg (330 lb) x 3
              175 kg (385 lb) x 5
              230 kg (506 lb) x 1

That last rep took a long, long time to get up. I hit a sticking point just below my knees and from there the process was just brutal. I eventually got it up and locked it out... then wanted to die afterwards.

But dem pegs o' mine are officially bank in the 4/5 club. For here, it's all about that 300 lb bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                Today's workout was the kind where I should have exclaimed "By the power of Grayskull!!!" Before commencing.

Squat:

155 kg (341 lb) x 5 x 3
                170 kg (374 lb) x 3
                180 kg (396 lb) x 2
                190 kg (418 lb) x 1

OHP

60 kg x 5 x 3 (132 lb)

Technically supersetted these with my squats. I was really feeling it today.

Deadlifts:

120 kg (264 lb) x 5
                150 kg (330 lb) x 3
                175 kg (385 lb) x 5
                230 kg (506 lb) x 1

That last rep took a long, long time to get up. I hit a sticking point just below my knees and from there the process was just brutal. I eventually got it up and locked it out... then wanted to die afterwards.

But dem pegs o' mine are officially bank in the 4/5 club. For here, it's all about that 300 lb bench.
                Beast mode!
                In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Jeeze, Rev. What a day at the gym! Hope I have one of those soon.

I am yet to post 2 workouts:
                  8/20 Bench Day:
                  230 x 5, 215 x 6 x 2 (230 x 5 is a gigantic PR and I think I fixed my wonky shoulder. Heard some snapping/popping which I think was the release of an impingement on reps 4 and 5. Went wider grip, per Eden's suggestion, and took the bar to lockout over a lower part of my chest than I had been doing)
                  Chin-ups: 18
                  Dips: 22
                  Chin-ups: 8
                  Dips: 12
                  Chin-ups: 7
                  Dips: 10

and 8/21
                  Squat: 355 x 5 x 3. New 25kg bumper plates came in. 2 pairs. And I have 1 pair of 45lbers. So this was all rubber on the bar, and it looked like a ton of weight. As Dom @ BroScienceLife says: "CrossFit weight is the spanx of weight."
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 3, week 3 (5/3/1), Workout B

Still hanging on after 11 weeks. Exceeded the last set of 5/3/1 with 3 reps for chest press, 12 for rows and 2 for trap bar deadlift. Will even need to increase the weight on rows by 10 pounds next cycle.

"5/3/1 programmed exercises(5/3/1 this week):"

• Hammer Strength chest press 5x125 3x145 3x160
                    • Hammer Strength rows 5x150 3x170 12x190
                    • Trap bar dead lift 5x255 3x285 2x320

Assistance exercises

• Hammer Strength rows 3x15x140
                    • Dumbbell incline press} 5x15x50
                    • Dumbbell front raises 3x15x30
                    • RDL with trap bar 2x10x135
                    • 3x10 assisted dips
                    • Trap bar shrugs 2x10x205
                    Last edited by miata; 08-22-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by miata View Post
                      Still hanging on after 11 weeks. Exceeded the last set of 5/3/1 with 3 reps for chest press, 12 for rows and 2 for trap bar deadlift. Will even need to increase the weight on rows by 10 pounds next cycle.

"5/3/1 programmed exercises(5/3/1 this week):"

• Hammer Strength chest press 5x125 3x145 3x160
                      • Hammer Strength rows 5x150 3x170 12x190
                      • Trap bar dead lift 5x255 3x285 2x320

Assistance exercises

• Hammer Strength rows 3x15x140
                      • Dumbbell incline press} 5x15x50
                      • Dumbbell front raises 3x15x30
                      • RDL with trap bar 2x10x135
                      • 3x10 assisted dips
                      • Trap bar shrugs 2x10x205
                      Some pretty impressive lifting there, have you tried using the intentions technique on those Hammer Rows yet ?

Comment

Jeeze, Rev. What a day at the gym! Hope I have one of those soon.

8/20 Bench Day:
                        230 x 5, 215 x 6 x 2 (230 x 5 is a gigantic PR and I think I fixed my wonky shoulder. Heard some snapping/popping which I think was the release of an impingement on reps 4 and 5. Went wider grip, per Eden's suggestion, and took the bar to lockout over a lower part of my chest than I had been doing)

and 8/21
                        Squat: 355 x 5 x 3. New 25kg bumper plates came in. 2 pairs. And I have 1 pair of 45lbers. So this was all rubber on the bar, and it looked like a ton of weight. As Dom @ BroScienceLife says: "CrossFit weight is the spanx of weight."
                        Nice work on the bench. That's solid as hell. Glad to hear the technique change up has advanced your progress that much.

Rest really, really helped me. Deep tissue massage and a midweek break before returning to the iron paid some big dividends. Definitely recommend some deep tissue stuff for the shoulder if you feel any lingering issues. Mine honestly feels like its sitting in a different place in the socket now, it's that much more comfortable. The sensation of getting scar tissue broken down is pure agony, but the workouts that follow are just awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                          Some pretty impressive lifting there, have you tried using the intentions technique on those Hammer Rows yet ?
                          I saw a few references to "intentions" in various threads -- but never caught what they are. Can you please send me a pointer. I'm always up for trying something new with my assistant exercises to mix things us.

Comment

Jeeze, Rev. What a day at the gym! Hope I have one of those soon.

8/20 Bench Day:

and 8/21
                            Look at you, brutha from anotha grandmutha!! Sweet work!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Well thanks, guys. Especially Eden, since you were the one who suggested taking a wider grip, which was the opposite of what I was thinking. Onward and upward. I'm a big fat 157 pounds or so right now. I'm sure I'll lose a couple pounds once I start heading back towards 148 (probably for the last time ever) for the October meet, so hopefully I can ride some progress before I start eating like a normal person again.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X