X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squat 3x5 @ 215

bench press 3x5 @ 175

Comment

• I am back, and I was really enjoying 5/3/1 but sadly have not lifted in about a month. But in that month I got married, went on honeymoon, moved into a new apartment in a new city and got my first big boy job after graduating in the spring (special ed teaching job!).

So for the past month I haven't worked out much. Honeymoon was in Pigeon Forge so we did lots of hiking, and we've been doing sprints by our apt to this park that has some pull up bars and a place to do leg raises and step ups (I've been doing pistols on it) so thats been fun but I'm excited for my wife to start grad school in a couple weeks so we can start using the gym there.
      Since Ive been away from the bar for about a month instead of jumping back into 5/3/1 I think I'll just drop weight a little and do 3x5 adding weight each time and do more like starting strength until I plateau again then back to 5/3/1.

Sorry for the long post, but I've missed posting here and it is good to be back!
      Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Congrats Cole Sounds like a good strategy, and a month is honestly not that much time to be away from the iron (it just feels like it). I doubt you'll actually have lost much strength once you start testing yourself.

Today:

An hour of boxing.

Followed by:

Squats:

125 kg (275 lb) x 5 x 5

Bench Press:

65 kg (143 lb) x 5 x 5

Power Clean:

60 kg (132 lb) x 5 x 5

For the first time I'm actually glad that I've only progressed back to 70% of my old 5RM for squats and about 60% for bench. Otherwise lifting after that impromptu boxing session may have killed me. I have a feeling tomorrow won't be pretty. Ah well.

Comment

• Dead lifts 5x10 @ 105 lbs. Than random ladder work.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Squat: 345 x 5 x 5
            Bench: 220 x 5, 205 x 6
            Hang Power Cleans: 145 x 3 x 5
            So, did 4xx get done at the meet?

Comment

• Unfortunately, no. 380 (my second attempt) went up no problem. I meant to pick whatever # of kg was closest to 385, but I botched the conversion. Then I decided to try to be a hero and jump straight to c. 402, and it just wasn't meant to be that day. Should have went with c. 385 on the second and c. 395 on the third.

I over-cut and weighed in a full 2 kg below the max for my weight class. This probably didn't help matters.

I'll definitely break the 4 mark at the next comp, in October.

Thanks for your interest!
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Squat 3x5 220

Overhead press 3x5 115

Dead lift 275x5

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                  Squat 3x5 220

Overhead press 3x5 115

Dead lift 275x5
                  Getting skrong! Keep it up.

I feel like I got hit by a train from that last workout. A train carrying trucks carrying bulldozers carrying rocks. Hadn't done a workout like that since before the meet taper.

Today was:

Very light squats: 225 x 3 x 3
                  Volume bench: 205 x 5 x 5
                  Chins: +50 x 7,5,6
                  Silly arms work
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Wk 3 Day 4 Kettlebells:

10 x 10 swings 32kg/two handed

Comment

I feel like I got hit by a train from that last workout. A train carrying trucks carrying bulldozers carrying rocks. Hadn't done a workout like that since before the meet taper.
                      My tris, upper back and lats are still at that point after my last workout. DOMS is a filthy bastard.

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 3, week 1 (5/5/5)

Falling behind on tracking my workouts, so this is last weeks Monday and Thursday lifting sessions -- plus weekend riding.

This is my first week using barbells for overhead press and was a fail. I had to drop 10 pounds for future. This is also the first workout of my third cycle and I was just able to complete 5 reps for most of the exercises. Will I be able to continue with the progression?

5/3/1 program exercises bold faced -- others are assistance exercises

Exercise Sets Reps Weight

Workout A (Monday):
                        • Squats 5x150 5x175 5x200
                        • Hammer Strength pull-downs 5x145 5x165 5x190

• Squats 3x10x135
                        • Overhead press 3x85 3x100 3x90
                        • Hammer Strength pull-downs 3x15x130
                        • Arnold press 3x15x20
                        • Hamstring curls 2x10x140
                        • Leg extension machine 2x10x160
                        •Calf raises machine 2x15x230

Workout B (Thursday):
                        • Hammer Strength chest press 5x110 5x125 5x145
                        • Hammer Strength rows 5x130 5x150 12x170 (exceeded 5 on last set

• Hammer Strength rows 3x15x140
                        • Dumbbell incline press 5x15x50
                        • Dumbbell front raises 3x15x30
                        • Cable tricep push downs 3x100 3x90 3x80
                        • RDL with trap bar 1x10x135
                        • Trap bar shrugs 15x205 12x205
                        • Trap bar dead lift 5x220 5x255 6x285 (exceeded 5 on last set)

Weekend Cycling
                        Got in a great bike ride yesterday where I really push it up this hill that takes about 25 minutes. I felt really good. I think the 5/3/1 program has helped my riding. I've also been focusing on a smooth stroke and that is also helping. Anyway, I was within 30 seconds of my previous best time, but felt much more relaxed than usual the whole way. The amazing thing is that I had my heart rate about 200 bps for a few minutes towards the end. I've been plugging in 193 as max heart rate, since that was the fastest I've had in 12 years -- until yesterday. I'm still a little curious as to how I was able to go so high. I guess we'll see what happens next week.

Comment

• Sunday workout was truncated due to time constraints (can't work out tonight as I need to head up the coast) and still being sore and gassed from Friday.

Squats:

130 kg (285 lb) x 5 x 3

Would have gone up for 5x5 if I had the time, but I didn't have enough to do this, presses and deads

Overhead Press:

52.5 kg (115 lb) x 5 x 3

Deadlift:

150 kg (330 lb) x 5
                          180 kg (396 lb) x 3

The rest until Wednesday will be welcome now, then back to 5x5 across. It's crazy how much getting back into the gym reduced my soreness, though. Killed DOMS dead.

Comment

Getting skrong! Keep it up.
                            Thanks... appreciate that....

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                              Sunday workout was truncated due to time constraints (can't work out tonight as I need to head up the coast) and still being sore and gassed from Friday.

Squats:

130 kg (285 lb) x 5 x 3

Would have gone up for 5x5 if I had the time, but I didn't have enough to do this, presses and deads

Overhead Press:

52.5 kg (115 lb) x 5 x 3

Deadlift:

150 kg (330 lb) x 5
                              180 kg (396 lb) x 3

The rest until Wednesday will be welcome now, then back to 5x5 across. It's crazy how much getting back into the gym reduced my soreness, though. Killed DOMS dead.
                              It's good to have you back, Rev. You're definitely in my top 3 Australians .
                              In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• 8/11/14:
                                Squats: 380 x 3, 380 x 2
                                Press: 145 x 5 x 5
                                Deadlift: 450 x 2
                                Rack pulls below knee: 450 x 5
                                Dips: +50 x 14, +25 x 9, +0 x 7 (30-45 seconds rest between sets)

Legs: smoked. Arms: crushed. Back: destroyed. Time for all you can eat tacos. ˇOlé!
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X