No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump rope intervals: 4 x 60:60, 4 x 30:30, 8 X 20:10 (tabata)

HR at Exercise Completion: 165 bpm
    HR at Exercise + 2 min: 101 bpm
    HR at Exercise + 5 min: 93 bpm
    HR at Exercise + 10 min: 85 bpm

This is a steeper line than last week (higher BPM at exercise completion, lower bpm at +2 and +10); suggests improvement, I think.
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• garage gym

squats 3x5 @ 205

overhead press 3x5 @ 105

deadlift 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Not sure if I'm going to try 400 next Monday, with the meet the following Saturday, or just do like a triple at 375 and get some extra recovery in. .
        You know I'm a novice, RM, but my advice would be the latter. Recovery is now king in my book! I took a full week off (forced by coach, not what I wanted) before this last competition. Added a lovely 28lbs to my deadlift. On my last heavy deadlift day before the competition, I was pissed that he wouldn't let me pull above 300, for 1 rep! I felt like i just needed to "feel something heavier in my hands" to know I could do it. Totally psychological. I knew I wanted to pull 325 at the meet and just wanted to feel maybe what 314 would feel like in my hands. In fact, I contemplated loading the bar a little heavier and telling him to stick it where the sun don't shine but instead opted for obedience. There's no way to truly tell if "my way" would have done me a disservice or not, but I haven't added 28lbs in one shot to my deadlift since I first started last year. In fact I pulled 336, when my goal had only been 325. So, if you're taking votes, I say 375 for triple and then REST -- for what it's worth. Good luck at your meet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
          You know I'm a novice, RM, but my advice would be the latter. Recovery is now king in my book! I took a full week off (forced by coach, not what I wanted) before this last competition. Added a lovely 28lbs to my deadlift. On my last heavy deadlift day before the competition, I was pissed that he wouldn't let me pull above 300, for 1 rep! I felt like i just needed to "feel something heavier in my hands" to know I could do it. Totally psychological. I knew I wanted to pull 325 at the meet and just wanted to feel maybe what 314 would feel like in my hands. In fact, I contemplated loading the bar a little heavier and telling him to stick it where the sun don't shine but instead opted for obedience. There's no way to truly tell if "my way" would have done me a disservice or not, but I haven't added 28lbs in one shot to my deadlift since I first started last year. In fact I pulled 336, when my goal had only been 325. So, if you're taking votes, I say 375 for triple and then REST -- for what it's worth. Good luck at your meet!!
          A. You're not even close to a novice. Your lifts are among, if not the, most impressive in the MDA forums. So stop with that nonsense.
          B. You're probably right. I think I feel like the "4" at the beginning will be a psychological barrier I would feel better having broken through before the bright lights are on me. But I should probably do the physically smart thing, go in there super recovered and strong, and let the gamer in me come out in front of the "crowd"
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

A. You're not even close to a novice. Your lifts are among, if not the, most impressive in the MDA forums. So stop with that nonsense.
            B. You're probably right. I think I feel like the "4" at the beginning will be a psychological barrier I would feel better having broken through before the bright lights are on me. But I should probably do the physically smart thing, go in there super recovered and strong, and let the gamer in me come out in front of the "crowd"
            Thanks RM! You're always so supportive! I mentioned "novice" because I'm never sure if my increases at this point are still that novice effect or I don't know... whatever else.

I will also say that now I feel like I know the right combination of caffeine to use during a competition to keep me amped but not have me shaky. For me, one tiny scoop of C4 is enough. In my first two competitions I added a 1/2 caffeine pill. That was too much for me because I was super-shaky. This time, with just the scoop of C4, I felt like superman. Do you use any of this during competitions? Something else?

Comment

• Haven't, although Jordan Feigenbaum recommends (IIRC) 200 mg between each lift for dude lifters, anyway. I should pick up some NoDoz or something.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Haven't, although Jordan Feigenbaum recommends (IIRC) 200 mg between each lift for dude lifters, anyway. I should pick up some NoDoz or something.
                Get something. Makes a difference! But try it before your competition, whatever you get. That's something I would've done differently. Thank God my first competition was deadlift only. After I pulled I walked away a shaky mess. I felt very out of control and jittery. Not a good way to feel when I was trying to get centered and focus. Anyway...

Comment

• Power Clean
                  195x1
                  185x2
                  165x3

Bench Press
                  230x1
                  205x3
                  180x5

DB Rows
                  75 x 16(R)-14(L)

Farmers Carry
                  100 lb x 1:05

Today was good.
                  In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Today I started working at loosening the stranglehold my internal governor has on my heart rate by doing 2 minute run intervals up a road that climbs 840 feet over 2.75 miles. Peak HR's were 162, 165, 168, 168, 169, 168, and finally 172 for the last 4 minute run to top out. Mostly easy run down although I did work on cadence some for the last mile as that has slipped below reasonable levels too. 5.5 miles total

Will be happy to do strength/yard workout tomorrow after 2 longish running days.
                    M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                    - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                      Get something. Makes a difference! But try it before your competition, whatever you get. That's something I would've done differently. Thank God my first competition was deadlift only. After I pulled I walked away a shaky mess. I felt very out of control and jittery. Not a good way to feel when I was trying to get centered and focus. Anyway...
                      Ordered some beta-alanine, caffeine pills, and ammonia caps. Time to break 1200. Thanks for the advice!
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Play day for me. Lots of slackline, monkey bars, and rebounder throws mixed in with more serious work: push-ups & negatives, inverted rows, pull-up negatives, planks/fire hydrants.

Also played a little on the rings, working on getting steady and holding the mount position. It is just crazy hard to get to 10 seconds holding stable - dips seem like an impossible dream at the moment, but I have this vision...
                        M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                        - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

• Bout an hour walkin:

Gonna do some light OHP, Squat, and Deadlift when I get home. Deloading this weeks. Next week I'm starting cycle 5 with 531. Its starting to get pretty challenging to hit the lifts.

Comment

• 002.jpg

Chest day. Pictured: Coach & I just before hitting another PR on the bench this afternoon. In the past 5 weeks I've added 40# to my 1RM. Maybe 80% of that gain is attributable to subtle technical tweaks, 20% to additional strength.

Proud member of the 200+ Club.
                            Ht: 5'8"
                            Wt: 166
                            BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• BBS Big 5. Have moved to different machines for a couple of the exercises for better mechanics.

I've been regularly going to the gym for 20+ years, trying all sorts of programs with a variety of success. I still sort of can't believe that I find myself in the best shape of my life only exercising twice a week, for about 25 minutes total.
                              “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• What is your workout today?

Originally posted by Michael S View Post

Proud member of the 200+ Club.
                                Welcome!! Just kidding..I'm a woman and I don't think that number is likely for me raw - maybe shirted. I'm just shooting for 165, then I can die happy! Congrats to you! Great progress!

Comment

Working...
                                X