No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beat my previous record climbing up Old La Honda on my bike -- finally got below 25 minutes --24:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
      Thanks guys! So glad strong is "in" these days! When I played rugby back in the day it was not "in". ;-)
      Here's the weekend program and a link to the Live Stream. Very happy for you, edennperez1. Bask in it!

Schedule: All Times are Pacific PDT
      Friday: Bench only and Deadlift only. All men and women in all wt classes

Saturday: Raw, Classic Raw and Single ply Full Power. All Women's wt classes plus Men's 114,123,132,148,165,181

Sunday: Men's 198,220,242,275,308,308+ for Raw, Classic Raw, and Single Ply Full Power.

SCHEDULE FOR FRIDAY LIFTERS:
      Early Weigh-in/gear check:-------------------Thursday, 12pm to 2pm & 6pm to 8pm
      Regular Weigh-in/gear check:---------------Friday , 930am to 11am
      Warmup:-----------------------------------------Friday, 11:00am
      Lifting Begins: ----------------------------------Friday, 12:00pm

SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY LIFTERS:
      Early Weigh-in/gear check:-------------------Friday, 9am to 1030am & 5pm to 630pm
      Regular Weigh-in/gear check:---------------Saturday, 630am to 8am
      Warmup:------------------------------------------Saturday, 8am
      Lifting Begins: -----------------------------------Saturday, 9am

SCHEDULE FOR SUNDAY LIFTERS:
      Early Weigh-in/gear check:-------------------Saturday, 9am to 1030am & 5pm to 630pm
      Regular Weigh-in/gear check:---------------Sunday , 630am to 8am
      Warmup:------------------------------------------Sunday, 8am
      Lifting Begins: -----------------------------------Sunday, 9am

Must have a Class 2 total from a USPA regional meet from July 2013 thru June 2014 to qualify for Nationals. Must have a Class 2 total for your age group.
      Live Stream
      Ht: 5'8"
      Wt: 166
      BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

• Body By Science Big 5. Increased TUL for all except one.
        “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Simple & Sinister/Tactical Barbell

I finished a 9 week strength phase with Tactical Barbell last week. I had increases in bench, squat, deadlift and weighted pull-ups - 20lbs on my bench (PR), 35lbs on squat, 42.5lbs on deadlift, and 15lbs on weighted pull-ups (first time progressively training weighted pull-ups though).

For my next 'phase' I'm going to switch focus a little and increase the kettlebell work. I love kettlebells, they make me feel great and seem to contribute to my strength-endurance, fat loss, and cardio.

I'll be using a bastardized version of Pavel's Simple and Sinister. S&S consists of simply swings and Turkish getups 5 days a week. You move up in kb weight when you naturally complete the workout within a set period of time. My version will be using the kettlebell swings only - 3 x week. I'll use the same progression as found in S&S, and will begin with two handed 32kg swings.

I will be maintaining some minimalist barbell training. I'll keep using Tactical Barbell, I'll either switch to the 2 x week Fighter template, or I'll stick with the 3 x week template and use a 'Minimalist Cluster' consisting of just bench and squat. I'm still undecided but I'm leaning toward the 3 x week. So my week would look like this:

Day 1 - Tactical Barbell - Bench/squat
          Day 2 - S&S Style 10 x 10 Kettlebell swings
          Day 3 - Bench/squat
          Day 4 - KB swings
          Day 5 - Bench/squat
          Day 6 - KB swings
          Day 7 - Rest

Both the barbell training and kettlebells have a progression model in place. My workouts will be brief as you can see, so I may even do some optional short cardio or interval training following my regular training. The TB and KB sessions are both going to be under 25 mins, so adding another 20 mins of cardio 2 to 3 times a week will be well within my capabilities. The KB's will work my posterior chain, and the bench and squat will fill in the gaps. Will most likely be starting this Monday.

D.

Comment

• Sunday - race day for SnowBowl Hill Climb - Went about as expected, I could really tell I missed a month of training/pushing myself, stupid injury! Was about 3 minutes slower than last year with avg/mile pace of 12:36. Avg HR of 158/max of 171 were both rather lame. I see intervals and a few trips up Saddle Mt in my immediate future as well as getting back to our Saturday long runs. I'd like to have a successful outcome at the 10k race in September where I've set my heart on an age group award.

Yard workout this morning, but too windy for slackline
            Warm up with medicine ball, toe touches and squats
            Lunges - 100/leg
            Jump Rope 2 mins
            Monkey Bars - 1 lap + 3 lengths
            Rebounder throws 120 with 10lb ball
            Landmine twisters
            Pull-ups - finally - managed 3 with only a minor kip! Not dead hang, and did 2 more with a tiny foot assist, but getting them back at last!
            KB swings
            T2B, dead hangs, and hanging knee raises
            Dips - 2 sets of 5 but the assist was significant because these happened pretty late in the workout
            Shuttle sprints 5x30 seconds
            Planks
            M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
            - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

• Did my first "Step Cardio" workout! Loved it! Feeling very good and even though it was really hard (I didn't even use the step) and I only passed on a couple of the moves (continued marching in place) I feel like I did good getting through the whole 30 minute workout routine!

I'm looking forward to my next session! I will continue the beginner phase until I have it down pat, can do the moves without restriction and feel good about moving to the intermediate range!

YaY Me!
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Journal

Start Date 07/01/14
              Start Weight 238.0
              Current Date 09/12/14
              Current Weight 222.2

Current LOSS 15.8#

Comment

• Strength:
                Did some Hang squat clean and Jerks

Conditioning:
                100 Double unders then
                AMRAP - 10 mins (with time left)
                10 Thrusters @95lb
                10 Barbell burpees

3 rounds plus 4 reps, Apparently my legs got crushed from all the C+Js. Took forever on the burpees.

Comment

• Did something really smart today, which is unusual for me. Walked into the gym, scheduled to do volume squats with 235 and some moderate bench. Warmed up squats and realized my legs were too shot from flag football yesterday to be able to do squats well AT ALL. Walked out of the gym, moved some things around on my schedule so I can lift Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday this week instead of M/W/F.

Finally getting smarter. Slowly.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Squat: 395 x 1 x 4 (PR), 395 x 0 x 1 (f)
                    Bench: 210 x 6 x 4
                    Deadlift: singles up to 455 x 1. Back was sore from some dumb things I did this weekend. This went up nicely, then I failed a rep at 495 and one at 475. Lots of recovery should set me up for another 500 or heavier pull at the next meet though.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                      Did something really smart today, which is unusual for me. Walked into the gym, scheduled to do volume squats with 235 and some moderate bench. Warmed up squats and realized my legs were too shot from flag football yesterday to be able to do squats well AT ALL. Walked out of the gym, moved some things around on my schedule so I can lift Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday this week instead of M/W/F.

Finally getting smarter. Slowly.

Sent via lightsaber
                      Good call. Volume squats suck enough fully rested.

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Squat: 395 x 1 x 4 (PR), 395 x 0 x 1 (f)
                      Bench: 210 x 6 x 4
                      Deadlift: singles up to 455 x 1. Back was sore from some dumb things I did this weekend. This went up nicely, then I failed a rep at 495 and one at 475. Lots of recovery should set me up for another 500 or heavier pull at the next meet though.
                      405 is close.
                      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Yeah, 10 lbs away. Not sure if I'm going to try 400 next Monday, with the meet the following Saturday, or just do like a triple at 375 and get some extra recovery in. But 0 doubt that I'm getting 3 white lights for 405 on 8/2. In the USAPL, so no questions of its legitimacy. If I can put a few lbs on my bench from last time and break the 500 deadlift mark with the stiffer bar (I really think I can if my back isn't jacked up), I can put up a pretty respectable total, and break that nagging 400 Wilks score.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Bastardized 5/3/1 cycle 3, week 3 (5/3/1), workout A

I'm still lovin 5/3/1 and made it through the third cycle. I'm finally starting to feel really comfortable with the squats which are relatively new to me. This cycle I started squats "boring but big" with 8 sets of squats every week -- and I think that has helped the CNS adoption.

Also, added calf raises this week. Took 1:15 to do 30 working sets -- and there was little time for rest -- just lots of sweat.

5/3/1 program exercises bold faced -- others are assistance exercises

Exercise Sets Reps Weight
                          • Squats 5/3/1 165#/190#/210# (did 3 reps on last set)
                          • Squats 5x10x135
                          • Hammer Strength pull-downs 5/3/1 160#/180#/200# (did 6 reps on last set)
                          • Hammer Strength overhead press 5/3/1 105#/120#/140# (did 9 reps on last set)

• Hammer Strength pull-downs 3x15x130
                          • Arnold press 3x15x20
                          • Cable triceps push-downs 3x15 100#/90#/80#
                          • Hamstring curls 2x10x140
                          • Leg extension machine 2x10x160
                          • Calf raises machine 2x15 250#/230#
                          Last edited by miata; 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• 2 mile walk to the park with my dogs.
                            2.5 mile hike in the woods with a group.

Comment

• 2 mile run...

Comment

• One of the best ways to get info is to look at the WOD thread in this forum. Lots of good ideas there.

Comment

Working...
                                X