2x365
    5x3x305 (speed)

Circuit:
    8x195 Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    8x97.5 T-Bar Rows
    8x152.5 Underhand Grip Pulldowns
    8x140 Rows

90 secs rest, repeat 3 times.
    Good work, Choco! Deadlifts are the best.

Today is deadlift day for me. I took a deload week last week, so I think I'm going to just feel it out today and see how much weight I want to lift today. I can't find any recommendation specific to the program I'm doing (Madcow 5x5) on how what weight to use after a deload.

Comment

• 3 full sprints mixed in with 15 minutes of light jogging and fast walking.

I was chasing a deer out of the vineyard. Hit the bastard once with a rock. Felt very Grok like

Amazed actually at how fast I sprinted. I chased the deer down twice close enough to get a good throw at her and kept the pursuit up until she knocked over a section of fencing to get out of the vineyard.

Comment

• Sunday
        Sunday
        5X3

Pullups - 25# plate each set
        Cleans 185# each set
        shoulder press 135# each set but had to use momentum last 2 reps of last 2 sets.

Tuesday 5X3
        Sumo DL 275# (4 rounds) 295X5 last round.
        ring Dips 15# added all rounds.

Gonna surf the next few days/weekend!

Comment

• Deload week...which for me equals 3 mile jog and just putsing around with some light weight. I would list what I did, but its not worth the letters. Cycle three in a few more days.
          Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-21-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
            Good work, Choco! Deadlifts are the best.

Today is deadlift day for me. I took a deload week last week, so I think I'm going to just feel it out today and see how much weight I want to lift today. I can't find any recommendation specific to the program I'm doing (Madcow 5x5) on how what weight to use after a deload.
            It depends on how your previous week went.

I usually deload every 6 weeks or so. If the week went well, I simply match my last effort and try to beat it each week going forward. If I'm stilling or going backwards prior to deload, I tend to "regroup" that week. I typically lift 3x5, but my last week I was totally tapped out, overtrained and going backwards. Deadlifts were capped at 3x5@345 and I knew I couldn't move onto 350 and match. This is an interesting new routine I'm trying:

Tsampa.org: Coan-Phillipi 10 Week Deadlift Routine

Put in your current deadlift max, what you want to gain and follow through. I'm shooting for 405 because...four plates! I can tell you pulling 365 twice raw was significantly easier than pulling 365 once with straps a month ago.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• I guess I didn't post Monday's, so I will:

Squat: 350 x 5 (hard. RPE eleventy)
              Press: 120 x 5 x 5 (Too easy, but I'm gonna Tex-Meth these guys)
              Deadlift: 345 x 5, 360 x 5, 385 x 5 (Felt like a million pounds. 2 days after pulling 500, so I skipped the extra reps)
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                It depends on how your previous week went.

I usually deload every 6 weeks or so. If the week went well, I simply match my last effort and try to beat it each week going forward. If I'm stilling or going backwards prior to deload, I tend to "regroup" that week. I typically lift 3x5, but my last week I was totally tapped out, overtrained and going backwards. Deadlifts were capped at 3x5@345 and I knew I couldn't move onto 350 and match. This is an interesting new routine I'm trying:

Tsampa.org: Coan-Phillipi 10 Week Deadlift Routine

Put in your current deadlift max, what you want to gain and follow through. I'm shooting for 405 because...four plates! I can tell you pulling 365 twice raw was significantly easier than pulling 365 once with straps a month ago.

Nice! Thanks for sharing that routine. I may give it a shot once I've tapped out on Madcow. And four plates is certainly awesome. You will get there soon :-) Ask Rich about 5+ plates, I have no idea, haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                  Ask Rich about 5+ plates, I have no idea, haha.
                  All I know about them is that they're heavy. They like to stay on the ground. A lot.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    All I know about them is that they're heavy. They like to stay on the ground. A lot.

brilliant observation...

Comment

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                      brilliant observation...
                      Well, thanks

Mine responded well to pulling one heavy set, once a week. More advanced lifters than I will sometimes alternate between haltings and rack pulls, or full deadlifts and rack pulls, so that they're only actually deadlifting either not at all or every other week. This seems to work well for them. People have pulled huge PR's in competition after not truly deadlifting for months when alternating the 2 partials (haltings and rack pulls).

For now, I've got them and bench on 5/3/1 (squat and press are on Texas Method), but I'll probably make some adjustments sooner rather than later. Maybe just alternate between just the top set of 5 the first week of the cycle, then pull the top set of 3twice the next week, then just 5 heavy singles the third, with no "AMRAP." But obviously I'll wait until the weight gets a little more challenging for me, since I "re-set" them after the meet last weekend.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Nuther 3 mile jog with some bodyweight stuff. Feeling rejuvenated

Comment

• Just started with Starting strength, this is my 3rd workout, today's menu included

squats, 3x5x135

benchpress, 3x5x160

deadlift, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5

Since I've never lifted like this before, at this point every workout is a PR...
                          time for some steak... and eggs....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                            Just started with Starting strength, this is my 3rd workout, today's menu included

squats, 3x5x135

benchpress, 3x5x160

deadlift, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5

Since I've never lifted like this before, at this point every workout is a PR...
                            time for some steak... and eggs....
                            Just be consistent, keep going even when it's hard, and eat enough, and you'll get tremendous results. Also, form check videos, either here or on the SS forums are an awesome idea. Good luck!
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Winging it right now until I figure out what I want/need to do moving forward as my workouts have been all over the place (read improper, overdone and inefficient) for probably a decade now. Even though I've been involved in training and fitness my entire life I'm still in the learning process as I'm new to the site and have never researched all the different options many here follow or discuss. Ridiculous I know but it is what it is. Better late to the party than to never arrive I suppose.

Regardless today was:

Basic warm up followed by....

Bench - 5 X 195 X 5

Overhead Press - 3 X 115 X 5 - 1 X 120 X 3 - 1 x 125 X 2

Pull ups - 15 X BW - 8 X BW + 45 - 6 X BW + 55

A few miscellaneous ego exercises and a cool down.

75 minutes (I'm thinking this is to long? Not sure!)
                              Last edited by onthepath; 05-22-2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Not today but each week I'm doing the following:

M/W/F I lift. Mostly upper body
                                Sun/Tues/Th Swim laps. Down and back 30 times.

I don't do lower body weights because I recently had knee surgery and am having articular cartilage restoration done I'm October. I do sprints though. I figure it can't get any worse.

I also do 30-50 pushups each morning and 350 stomach crunches. Down 48 pounds and 6 pant sizes.

I thank you all for being so open and engaging in straight talk about health.

Comment

Working...
                                X