No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been doing Wendler 5/3/1 for a couple of months and seem to be peaking out, but I still like the program. I tried starting strength for a couple years and a brief stint with the Texas Method. I'm an ectomorph. What do you guys think would be the optimum program for my body type to gain strength and maybe a little hard-earned mass?

Comment

• Worked on KB clean and jerks today - my first time really working with this lift and am finding it more challenging than the snatch - much to my surprise! Easier with double 'bells rather than singles, another surprise. Thankfully I've a patient coach!

Comment

• Originally posted by Decoski View Post
        I've been doing Wendler 5/3/1 for a couple of months and seem to be peaking out, but I still like the program. I tried starting strength for a couple years and a brief stint with the Texas Method. I'm an ectomorph. What do you guys think would be the optimum program for my body type to gain strength and maybe a little hard-earned mass?
        I've also done 5/3/1 for long stretches of time in the past and didn't seem to gain a ton of strength. I also would categorize myself as an ectomorph.

Right now I'm doing Madcow 5x5 and it seems to be working pretty well. I squatted 300x5 today. I'm pretty sure I could not have done that a year (or even a few months) ago. I think I might have been deadlifting too much (frequency and volume especially) when I was doing 5/3/1. I think it was hampering my recovery.

Honestly, I believe making myself eat has helped me gain what muscle I have built over the past few years. Yeah, the heavy lifting was necessary as well, but I also had to make an effort to eat way more than I wanted to, at least for some stretches of time.
        Last edited by yodiewan; 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
          I've also done 5/3/1 for long stretches of time in the past and didn't seem to gain a ton of strength. I also would categorize myself as an ectomorph.

Right now I'm doing Madcow 5x5 and it seems to be working pretty well. I squatted 300x5 today. I'm pretty sure I could not have done that a year (or even a few months) ago. I think I might have been deadlifting too much (frequency and volume especially) when I was doing 5/3/1. I think it was hampering my recovery.

Honestly, I believe making myself eat has helped me gain what muscle I have built over the past few years. Yeah, the heavy lifting was necessary as well, but I also had to make an effort to eat way more than I wanted to, at least for some stretches of time.
          Yeah the eating is hard to do and to get the right healthy foods in as well. I'll look into Madcow 5x5. Since I'm peaking out now, I think it is time for a change. Thanks!

Comment

• About 30 hours ago I warmed up, loaded gradually and ended up doing squats at 245 pounds 5 reps 2 sets. Didn't feel sore until 24 hours later, but with all the milk and eggs I think it's all healed up already!

Oh, and sheep brain. Can't forget the sheep brain.
            Last edited by Knifegill; 04-28-2014, 08:36 PM.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Deadlift: 365 x 1, 375 Fail, 325 x 5, 325 x 3, 315 x 4
              Leg Press: 630 lb x 10 partial reps, 540 lb x Rest Pause set
              Hack Squat: 70 lb x Iso Tension Reps

Tricep pushdowns:160 lbs x 10, 160 lbs x 7 and 1 partial, 160 lbs x 5 and 1 partial
              Tricep Ext M/C : 75 lbs x 3 sets

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                Oh, my single bin of compost can't compete with that.
                Hey those compost bins are a continuous workout! Mine was a one day marathon event . Won't have to do that again till 2016 I hope.

Comment

• Deadlifts 270x14

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Deadlifts 270x14
                    Is this week 1 (5/5/5+)? 14 is incredible. I've never gotten 14. My week 1 after recalculating my lifts can be as low as 8 or as high as 11-12, but never 14. Jeeze. Did you see stars, or just set your lifts on the extra light side?
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Is this week 1 (5/5/5+)? 14 is incredible. I've never gotten 14. My week 1 after recalculating my lifts can be as low as 8 or as high as 11-12, but never 14. Jeeze. Did you see stars, or just set your lifts on the extra light side?
                      Yup...this is 5/5/5+....Added 10lbs AND 3 reps to last cycle . My lifts for deadlift and squat could be set a bit low since originally everything was unbelted and now I wear a belt for the AMRAP sets. But still I basically stopped due to light headedness more than anything (but I was definitely at/near muscle fail as well). Had a very mild oncoming headache feeling for a minute or two also.

So the big changes lately have been.... GHR 2x/week for 5x10.... back squats (I do em now)....and the belt.

I considered recalculating and using the new numbers for squat and dead in my second cycle, but I'm doing this by the book...and he vehemently states NOT to do that. So whatever, I guess I'll just get a few more cycles out of it. Also...I actually did the deload week, and plan to each cycle.

Oh and to celebrate I purchased that rack. Gonna be about 3 weeks to deliver, but will be nice to have at the house.
                      Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Awesome call on buying the rack. And I agree with JW on this one. Get the volume in while you can, the heavy weight will come sooner than you think!
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• 5 chin-ups every ten minutes as time allows. Only to 25 total so far.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• If you have tried and failed to lose weight before maybe it’s time for you to consult a nutrition expert. It’s better to get advice form dietician before planning to any diet program. There are numbers of wellness company in UAE who provide weight loss diet programs but Health Factory is the only one who can deliver and provide you with healthy and nutritious foods right in your doorstep.
                            Last edited by richardshelton1; 06-16-2014, 05:05 AM.

Comment

• Today I'm using my TRX (mobile trainer with adjustable straps for various bodyweight exercises). I'll be doing 5 (25 second) rounds of:
                              -suspended (atomic) pushups
                              -rows
                              -chest flys
                              -T and Y extensions (for shoulders)
                              -suspended crunches
                              -bicep curl
                              -tricep extension
                              -sprint

quick workout but it's brutal!
                              "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

Comment

• New Rules of Lifting Fat Loss II.

Comment

Working...
                                X