No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks RM and Jefferson. I shot them an e-mail asking their opinion given what I plan to use it for (i.e. not olympic lifts) and whatnot. I'm sure you guys wouldn't steer me wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post

2-count paused deadlift:
      Hey Rich! What does that part mean?

Comment

and get a single-prong.
        Why single-prong? I got one of those with the metal lever-thingy. FYI.

Comment

• Lever belts are good too. A paused deadlift means I do half a deadlift (just to below the kneecaps), count to 2, then complete the rep. It's a new exercise I'm trying out for my "medium" day to hopefully build some explosiveness into the upper half of my deadlift, which is where my weak point is.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Lever belts are good too. A paused deadlift means I do half a deadlift (just to below the kneecaps), count to 2, then complete the rep. It's a new exercise I'm trying out for my "medium" day to hopefully build some explosiveness into the upper half of my deadlift, which is where my weak point is.
            Hhhmmm...that's interesting. When the weight gets heavy, I would say "explosive" is what I'm NOT at the top. In my mind I try, but the weight is just so slow to move. At about what percent of your 1RM are you working with to try this?

Comment

• Yesterday's workout in my group training class - Sunday is always conditioning day:

Round 1: 10 times of the following, all the way through on one side before switching to the other

1 KB swing
              1 KB Clean
              1 KB Squat
              1 KB Press
              1 KB Snatch

Round 2: 5 times through of the following, each side

2 KB Swings
              2 KB Cleans
              2 KB Squats
              2 KB Presses
              2 KB Snatches

Round 3: Only once through each side

10 KB Swings
              10 KB Clean
              10 KB Squats
              10 KB Presses
              10 KB Snatches

Our finisher was:

100 reverse lunges/OH Rope slams (partnership - partner does 20 slams while other does lunges, switch and repeat until 100 lunges completed)

100 wall balls/ Monster Rope Over the Mountain - same format

I stuck with the presses until they started hurting and dropped them at that point (in round 3). That was too many snatches for my skill level. I did them all but my form deteriorated - and they are a challenge with my shoulder the way that it is. I will be talking with my new kettlebell coach this week about my form on the KB snatch. I don't need to further jack my shoulder and neck out of stubbornness. Great workout though!

I probably would have chosen another workout Saturday if I had known this was coming - Saturday I did my 500 KB SA alternating swing workout...

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                Hhhmmm...that's interesting. When the weight gets heavy, I would say "explosive" is what I'm NOT at the top. In my mind I try, but the weight is just so slow to move. At about what percent of your 1RM are you working with to try this?
                Well, I've just started doing them. It's really hard to keep your back in extension during the 2-hippopotamuses (that's how I count, 1-hippopotamus 2-hippopotamus).

I assume that I'll get better at them just from building some neuro-motor pathways, but as for what I did yesterday I'd say that 245 is pretty much 50% of my deadlift 1RM at the moment, and they were not easy.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• 5x5x185lb back squats

Two words: wider stance. The back and knees felt great spreading a bit more. Did a couple pauses at the bottom in the final set just to make sure I wasn't kidding myself on the depth with the new stance. Think I'm ready to start adding some weight.

GUNZ: 3x8 curls superset with 3x8 tricep pressdowns.

Comment

• Squats 115 x 8 x 3
                    Deadlifts 135 x 8 x 2, 155 x 5, 185 x 4, 205 x 3, 225 x 3
                    band assisted chin-ups 6x4
                    hanging leg raises 20x3
                    dips 5x3

Comment

• Chin ups - motivated by y'all to get on weighted bodyweight movements
                      8 x bw
                      5x +20lbs
                      6x +15lbs

OHP - always been a huge struggle for me

80 x 6
                      75 x 8

Cable row
                      130 x 6
                      120 x 8

Lat raise (man these suck)

15bs x 15
                      10 x 10
                      5 x 15
                      5 x 15

Hanging leg raises and rope climb machine to finish workout

Comment

• Squat:

310 x 5
                        330 x 5
                        350 x 5 (Probably a 5-rep PR)

Bench:

197.5 x 5
                        207.5 x 5
                        222.5 x 5 (PR!)
                        200 x 8

DL:

455 x 3 (3-rep PR)
                        455 x 2 (f. dammit.)
                        455 x 1

Messed around with grippy toys and rubber bands

Bodyweight was in the 156's this a.m. for the first time in quite a while.
                        Last edited by RichMahogany; 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Monster workout Rich, 3 PR's! Do I remember reading somewhere that you only weigh around 160? That's nuts, well done!

Comment

• Thanks, Ciep! I was 156-point-something this morning. I'm really liking the program I'm using. It's churning out PR's for me like it's going out of style, even as my weight continues to slowly decrease.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Thanks, Ciep! I was 156-point-something this morning. I'm really liking the program I'm using. It's churning out PR's for me like it's going out of style, even as my weight continues to slowly decrease.
                              Damn, crazy work dude! What program you on to now?

Comment

• I call it HLMX51. It's based on the Bill Starr program HLM (Heavy, Light, Medium) as interpreted by Andy Baker, but it borrows rep schemes from 5/3/1. Except I wildly adulterated them. Sounds complicated, but it isn't really.

Heavy Day:
                                Squat 5/5/5 or 5/3/1
                                Bench 5/5/5 or 5/3/1
                                Deadlift 1x5, 2x3, 3x2, or 5x1

Light Day:
                                Power Cleans 5x3
                                Press 5/5/5 or 5/3/1
                                Front Squat 5x3
                                BW Dips
                                BW Chins

Medium Day:
                                Squat 3x5
                                Dead stop rack bench: 8 x 1 every 30 seconds
                                2-count paused deadlifts
                                Dip challenge
                                Weighted chins

I do the 5/3/1 sets in the reverse order. These were originally based on the "fresher" percentages, but now squats and power cleans go up by 5 lbs/week, deadlifts by 10, the presses by 2.5. On the 5/5/5 day, I used the "heavier" percentages, and I do a backoff 4th set on the presses (bench and olympic-style overhead).

Makes perfect sense, right? ;-)
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X