What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I know you didn't ask me, but I've done a lot of chin-ups on deadlift day, so I'll offer my opinion anyway :

Not really. I find the overhead press is very tough after deadlifting, but chin-ups don't seem to mind.
    Awesome. I'm programming a new routine starting next week so I appreciate the two cents!

Comment

• I can still reply nonetheless.

I wann say: it depends.
      As you can see I am not the strongest person out there. Next to that I did very low volume on deadlifts. If I do a higher volume on them I start to struggle with chinups. But if I keep the volume on deadlifts low, I don't struggle too much.

Overhead press is indeed very hard after deadlifts. Not only in the same workout, but also the next day or two. Therefore I don't do free overhead pressing.

Comment

• That's one option, Fromthehillz.

I'm personally convinced that the overhead press is absolutely crucial to shoulder health, strength, beard growth, testosterone production, intelligence, and one's love life, so my solution was just to do it right before deadlifts.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Yeah, don't skimp on OHPs, people!

My default lifting order seems to be to put squats first, and deadlifts last, no matter what all I'm doing in the workout. Squats don't seem to affect my other lifts too much, but I can definitely suffer on my squats if I do other lifts first. And deadlifts just wipe me out, so those go last or I have trouble doing anything really heavy afterwards. My deadlift may suffer a LITTLE by going last, but not as much as my other lifts would suffer if I deadlifted first...if that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
            Yeah, don't skimp on OHPs, people!

My default lifting order seems to be to put squats first, and deadlifts last, no matter what all I'm doing in the workout. Squats don't seem to affect my other lifts too much, but I can definitely suffer on my squats if I do other lifts first. And deadlifts just wipe me out, so those go last or I have trouble doing anything really heavy afterwards. My deadlift may suffer a LITTLE by going last, but not as much as my other lifts would suffer if I deadlifted first...if that makes sense.
            Makes tons of sense. That's how I did my previous workout. For this new program I'm starting I have ohp after weighted chins. We will see how this goes

Comment

• Originally posted by Canuck_Cam View Post
              Makes tons of sense. That's how I did my previous workout. For this new program I'm starting I have ohp after weighted chins. We will see how this goes
              I think it might be good to rotate through the lifts every few sessions to give each one a chance at being performed when fresh.
              The other week I started with my leg presses instead of my RDL's and my RDL's absolutely sucked. I lifted the weight off the pins, my breathing was still labored and my legs shaking, I lowered the barbell down to my shin and instantly knew it was not going back up so had to continue with it to the floor. Instead of using 335 for 6 I ended up dropping the weight all the way down to 225 and did 9 reps.......I felt so shitty doing it that way around. I'm pretty sure if you hit any compound exercise 100% then your second movement will be compromised.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                I think it might be good to rotate through the lifts every few sessions to give each one a chance at being performed when fresh.
                The other week I started with my leg presses instead of my RDL's and my RDL's absolutely sucked. I lifted the weight off the pins, my breathing was still labored and my legs shaking, I lowered the barbell down to my shin and instantly knew it was not going back up so had to continue with it to the floor. Instead of using 335 for 6 I ended up dropping the weight all the way down to 225 and did 9 reps.......I felt so shitty doing it that way around. I'm pretty sure if you hit any compound exercise 100% then your second movement will be compromised.
                Yeah. Depends on your programming and goals, of course. But generally speaking, free weights first, machine afterwards when your ability to stabilize is compromised is how I'd just about always program.

Good mornings, Stiffys and RDLs are all good lifts to use early in a workout because they don't tax the CNS anywhere near as hard as a standard deadlift but still work your posterior chain like a boss and give you all the fun isometric engagement. Jeffersons, Sumos and regulation deadlifts I'd always save for the end. They will kill you dead if you use a true working weight for any kind of density.

My deadlift day has always gone squats, OHP, deadlift. I'll occasionally get in some accessory work and chin ups after, but it just depends how much gas I have in the tank and how much I lifted. If I was anywhere near max intensity, that accessory work becomes minimal or just disappears.

Comment

• I just do whichever lift I want to have most focus on first.

Anyway, I did a Krav Maga session last night. I'll likely do another tonight, and then deadlift tomorrow.

Comment

• 4th day with carbs <40 g in a row. seems like it's kicking in right now. light headache and felt a little bit sluggish. know dat feel.

legs (I have some knee problems from a soccer injury long time ago; squats and everything else hurts from time to time, but not always; try to not go all out)

weight in the gym: 82 kg

squats
                    40 kg x 5
                    50 kg x 5
                    60 kg x 4
                    70 kg x 3
                    80 kg x 3
                    90 kg x 2
                    95 kg x 2, 2
                    80 kg x 3, 3, 3

leg extensions
                    50 kg x 8, 8, 8

leg curls
                    50 kg x 8, 8, 8

some crunches

knee felt okay, hurting only lightly

Comment

• Deadlifts....ended up with a pyramid deal:

185x10
                      235x5
                      285x5
                      305x3
                      255x8

Dunno...just doing what felt right. I never came close to a fail. Coulda probably did 5@305, but first time with alternate grip and it started feeling off when I was coming down on the 3rd rep so I just backed off to 255 and rep it out a bit keeping that alt grip to get use to it.

Followed with 4 sets supersetting pullups and dips....10/10, 8/8, 6/6, 3/6. No rest just popping back and forth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        first time with alternate grip
                        I'm assuming you'd have mentioned an exploding bicep tendon. Glad you survived.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'm assuming you'd have mentioned an exploding bicep tendon. Glad you survived.
                          Yeah, right now my deads are so weak that I can curl the same amount (you seen my bis bro?).

Comment

That's one option, Fromthehillz.

I'm personally convinced that the overhead press is absolutely crucial to shoulder health, strength, beard growth, testosterone production, intelligence, and one's love life, so my solution was just to do it right before deadlifts.
                            if you could see my beard, you would agree that OHP isn't essential to beard growth...
                            intelligence maybe , but...

I had serious shoulder tendon problems some time ago and could point it directly to OHPs. I had thought it would be the bench press and I kicked it out and nothing happened. After kicking out the free OHP the problems were gone.
                            Maybe it was caused by bad technique?

Generally I try to focus on three different lifts: bench, deadlifts, squats. for the rest I don't really care much to be honest and switch it up nearly all the time. ^^
                            Last edited by fromthehillz; 03-07-2014, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fromthehillz View Post
                              if you could see my beard, you would agree that OHP isn't essential to beard growth...
                              intelligence maybe , but...
                              Anecdotal evidence cannot be used to overturn the established science!

Originally posted by fromthehillz View Post
                              I had serious shoulder tendon problems some time ago and could point it directly to OHPs. I had thought it would be the bench press and I kicked it out and nothing happened. After kicking out the free OHP the problems were gone.
                              Maybe it was caused by bad technique?
                              Yeah, I can't say for sure, but the OHP gets a bad rap a lot of times for problems that it physically cannot cause. Out of curiosity, can you press dumbbells or kettlebells or bags of sand overhead without injury/pain?

Originally posted by fromthehillz View Post
                              Generally I try to focus on three different lifts: bench, deadlifts, squats. for the rest I don't really care much to be honest and switch it up nearly all the time. ^^
                              What kind of programming do you run?
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Deadlifts, five singles at 142,5kg, and light squats 5x5 with 70kg.

Comment

Working...
                                X